vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
UchihaSasuke: 2009-10-12 12:57:05 pm
my umbrella goes directly to Bankai
hi.
i made this thread to put in all the stuff concerning the Wii port of mp1 and the differences it brings to the table with the new controls.

major edit: here's the lists

game name:
(japan): [Wii de Asobu] Metroid Prime
(America/Europe): [New Play Control] Metroid Prime

original version developer: Retro Studios
wii version developer: Retro Studios

release dates:
japan: february 19th, 2009
america: august 24th, 2009 (trilogy)
europe: september 4th, 2009 (trilogy)

Major gameplay changes:
- aiming is done with the Wii's pointer function. feels exactly like in metroid prime 3. you can change sensitivity and stuff.
- lock-on free-aim is still there and acts the same as in mp3. this time, when you have it off, the enemies' weak points are targeted automatically and the bosses can be beaten like in the GC version.
- spring ball feature added to the morph ball. you get it once you obtain bombs.
- beam selection is done the same way as visor selection. hold + and point towards a region of the screen to change beam.
- you can swap the functions of + and - in the menu if you like to select beams with - more.
- charge beam's charge speed and fire rate has been increased to mp3's level. fire charged shots faster now.
- missiles are mapped to control pad down. contrary to popular belief, the missiles and missile combos are easy to fire with that configuration.
- earn orange tokens by defeating bosses and gray tokens by completing certain areas/meeting certain conditions. use them to unlock stuff like art galleries and soundtracks.
- new difficulty setting: "normal" is a new and easier mode for newcomers. "veteran" is the normal mode from the GC version.
- "hard/Hyper" difficulty is unlocked once you beat the game in veteran and is the same as hard mode in the GC version.
- scans carry over now like in mp3. you can now scan everything and keep all scans in a single file for new games. this also makes scan-visor events instant since all scan points are now "pre-scanned".

Cosmetic Changes:
- cutscenes are cropped to fit 16:9 when playing on widescreen TVs. they are intact on 4:3 TVs.
- bloom lightning was added to several places. the most noticeable place is the morph ball and in phendrana drifts.
- the arm cannon moves around like in mp3 when you aim but there's a weird opening near the tip when you are using plasma (they didn't texture that area since it was impossible to see in the GC version)
- Fusion Suit is unlocked once you beat the game once and it can be turned on permanently, unlike the GC version where it resets each time you power off/reset. get orange tokens to "purchase" it.
- screen shot tool from mp3 makes a return. get orange tokens to unlock it. use d-pad up to take a screenshot and send it to the wii message board.
- loading is faster overall.
- 480p is (will be) possible in PAL version. (the original NTSC versions had it but GC component cables were almost impossible to find)
- the little things that popped up at the sides of the visor when you held R in the GC version are always present here.
- Samus puts her hard in the arm cannon randomly when you are still like how she did when you held R in the GC version. there's no added effect to her jumps because of this though.

Gameplay changes that affect sequence breaking and speed running (the average gamer doesn't care about these, unlike the other changes)
- Scan Dashes are dead
- Combat Dashes are like in mp3. no extra distance at all by releasing Z (no more SJF).
- no more L-Lock jumps. there's no difference when you move the arm cannon during a jump and you can't lock it down like in the GC version (you need grapple now for several places, can't escape x-ray room without fighting the ghosts).
- instant unmorphs can be done in some places but they changed it in others.
- infinite bomb jump is gone. you can't climb suntower anymore with it.
- double bomb jumps work the same (great tree hall bars can be bypassed) but the triple bomb jumps might not because of the change in bomb physics.
- instant scans allow for faster travel in some rooms.
- spring ball makes some morph ball puzzles much faster (energy tank in magmoor, water tank in phazon mines)
- using the spring ball in tunnels makes the morph ball faster.
- Ice + Missile combo no longer kills Ice Pirates.
- gravity suit has to be gotten now since underwater ghettos are weaker (needs more testing but looks bad already) Gravity is Skippable thanks to a trick that involves rolling against the wall and boosting as soon as the ball rises enough for the boost to reach the ledge just before the room with the artifact.
- the boost ball trick doesn't work with Meta Ridley anymore. prepare for long fights.
- X-Ray without spider and Plasma without spider are still possible. for plasma you need to be careful with the standable ledges but you can make it to the upper platforms.

Glitches that weren't fixed/changed/removed:
- BSJs are still possible. the SSJ (spring space jump) variant also works (check the sequence breaks vid for it).
- Ghetto jumps are intact. you can do sequence breaks that are possible with them.
- Rapid Fire Missiles are still possible but only with the old method that involved pressing missile-beam-missile buttons fast due to the lack of the C-Stick.
- that glitch where you charge a beam and switch to the power beam while releasing A and then shoot it to see a fake charge shot still works.
- Secret Worlds are still around as long as you can reach them. navigating them seems to be the same as before.

here's the token list for anyone who is lost:

10 orange tokens:

parasite queen
hive mecha
incinerator drone
flaahgra
sheegoth
thardus
phazon elite
omega pirate
meta ridley
metroid prime

16 gray tokens:

12 artifacts
beat the frigate
get 100% scans
get 100% items
get 50% scans

here's a vid with some of the SBs that are still possible.

here's the Meta Ridley fight vid.

here's the vid with the Metroid Prime fight.

more differences are around but these lists cover the more glaring ones (as of may 30th).

june 20th edit: added the european release date.
july 27th edit: updated some changes with recent finds and fixed a few typos.
july 31th edit: added the unchanged glitches list.
october 10th edit: added the token list.
Thread title: 
once GameFAQs, now Twitch
So, about the in-game options menu: it have a Wii floating in 'ere now?

Also, anything the materials aboot the Fusion bonuses?
everything is in japanese so it will be a while until that can be confirmed.

also... my wii won't read the game now :(
i tried several stuff for hours and no luck. i'll go sleep for now.
Strategy Guide Writer
The version 'online' apparently has issues  Rolling Eyes So I'll wait for  a proper release to surface. Very interesting all the new alterations so far, hopefully I can add to those soon!
yep, i'll wait also.

btw, another thing i noticed is that the save icon for the game is exactly the same as the mp3 one but with red surrounding the metroid. seems very odd to have a mp3 metroid in mp1's icon...
This guy already has some videos up if anyone wants to check out what it looks like.  Stuff I've seen from these videos already:

-floating wii in start menu as expected
-rapid fire missles are back Very Happy
Where can I get a copy of this game, and have it soon?
Viking
Precursor
I would like to take this opportunity to mention that the above post, made by Baby Sheegoth, was the 240000 GET.

That is all. Also, what the hell, it's actually called "Wii de asobu: Metroid Prime"?
happyface.
And, shit. It looks like they scuppered the bomb timing.
EDIT: And the 8000th topic, nonetheless.
Jagger ftw
some guy mad a walk through for the wii version lol
Quote from ZFG:
This guy already has some videos up if anyone wants to check out what it looks like.

Quote from Gu3st:
some guy mad a walk through for the wii version lol

Already posted. Also, he made a walkthrough, he's not mad.
lol. Read the topic please guest.
The new textures look pretty damn sharp!  Dare I say, close to MP3 quality...  Pray
Edit history:
rekameohs: 2009-02-19 10:32:26 pm
Anywhere, everywhere
Quote from Metakraid:
The new textures look pretty damn sharp!  Dare I say, close to MP3 quality...  Pray
Nah, they just look like Prime's still. Maybe a tad sharper, but it's obviously just a port.

Anyways, it's actually looking like some pretty decent effort was put into it! The new title screen/menu is pretty sweet, and the circular scan visor looks pretty damn awesome. I wish they could've brought in the red and blue scans from Echoes and Corruption in this, because I like them more than the small orange and red squares, but it's just a minor thing.

Looks like it came out pretty well.

EDIT: UchihaSasuke, if your game is still working, do you know if the fusion suit returned?
it's more then just a tad sharper, it's obvious some solid work went into boosting the textures.  Textures to seem to get blocky up close, like they did on the gcn.
Edit history:
UchihaSasuke: 2009-02-20 05:11:58 am
i got my game workin' again (i learned the hard way that .rar files must be opened with winrar)

time for a glitch hunt and 100% items get!!

i'm betting the fusion suit is an unlockable for beating the game. there's a menu with extras, so maybe one of those is the suit.

btw, rapid fire missiles are harder to do because of button placement. the alternate c-stick method is completely gone obviously so i'll have to learn the old one.

after i get past the frigate, i'll try sjf.

to those wondering about 16:9, it appears to be zoomed in in cutscenes (boo). 4:3 seems the way to go if you really care about having complete field of vision in the cutscenes. the cutoff is annoying in some cutscenes since the focus seems to be unnatural at times.

space pirate frigate: everyone probably watched the vid but i didn't. what i could tell is that it was the same as in mp1. i killed the queen using the rapid fire missile after scanning her like in the gc and she gave me an orange token. that means orange tokens are the equivalent of mp3's yellow tokens. after escaping, i received a gray token so they're like the friend voucher tokens from mp3 in the sense that they are given by clearing some objective. spring ball was enabled from the get-go and it can help in the tunnels section.

landed in tallon IV now and the sj door doesn't have a lock. let's see if the player's choice method works...
edit: bad news. unless i'm just shit with the Z button, seems that dashing was toned down a lot and the dashes are like in mp3 now. no extra distance. l-lock jumps seem to be gone also since you can't lock the beam like before anymore.
seems i'll be getting the items in the right order for now.

edit 2: i didn¡t realize but this is the first time i'm playing the game the way it was intended. for a second i forgot i didn't have morph ball after beating the hive mecha. then, i tried to reach the morph ball and forgot the beetles. i didn't even know how to kill them lol but figured it out fast. man, not having sj really makes you run around. btw, spring ball is lost in the item loss and seems that morph bombs give it back.
Edit history:
DJGrenola: 2009-02-23 09:07:44 am
Strategy Guide Writer
What type of Wii are you playing this on? I have a UK on 3.2 firmware (no homebrew channel, GECKO or that), so I'll see if I can get it to work. Also, apprarently there's english .wad files on the disk, so can you find an english language option in the menus at all?
Edit history:
UchihaSasuke: 2009-02-20 06:00:25 am
i'm using an US Wii and have 3.2U firmware in it and installed the softmii hack since i don't have a modchip or anything.

there's an english option but i didn't see anything in english after i toggled it on. all the text except the HUD is japanese. the narrator is in english but i listened to him before toggling the option.

now i'm past the incinerator drone. i beat him like in the old days. spring ball comes back once you get bombs.
reading version differences helps since i thought the spider track change was new lol.

edit: just got past flaahgra. wii aiming made him easier than before. you can walk, shoot the mirrors and evade him easily.
attempted a spring 3bj but couldn't hit the top bombs. someone with better bomb jump skills should try but seems upper bombs don't have an effect.
btw, one of the orange token rewards was the screenshot tool. it works exactly like in mp3 (press dpad up to take a pic and send it to the wii message board). music seems to require gray tokens and most stuff is locked but becomes exchangeable once you progress through the game.
Strategy Guide Writer
I've noticed that the Frigate is now referred to as the "Frigate Orpheon" in the 2nd video walkthrough. Looks like there's going to be a very large new version differences page due on the main site from the looks of things!  laugh new

(And apparently new unlockables are included such as the screenshot capture mode from MP3).
i found out more stuff.

2 missiles to get the first magmoor artifact still break that wall but since i don't have sj, i couldn't pick it. i tried the suntower trick but couldn't pull it off but i haven't done that trick in like 2 years. the bombs seemed like they didn't connect though. only the first one. the wall still slows down the morphball so there's a good possibility there.

also, the "english" option is just for HUD stuff. i switched back to japanese and the warning and scan visor words were in japanese. another tidbit is that samus randomly puts her hand in the arm cannon as if you were holding R but now it is just an animation.
Strategy Guide Writer
Quote from UchihaSasuke:
i found out more stuff.

2 missiles to get the first magmoor artifact still break that wall but since i don't have sj, i couldn't pick it. i tried the suntower trick but couldn't pull it off but i haven't done that trick in like 2 years. the bombs seemed like they didn't connect though. only the first one. the wall still slows down the morphball so there's a good possibility there.

also, the "english" option is just for HUD stuff. i switched back to japanese and the warning and scan visor words were in japanese. another tidbit is that samus randomly puts her hand in the arm cannon as if you were holding R but now it is just an animation.

In magmoor, you can use a ghetto effect jump without SJ to claim the artifact in the pillar. Apparoach it from the bombable wall part of the room and there's a standable spot to the right that a simple ghetto will achieve (I do it in my own walkthrough video I posted on here). Try it to see if they've neutered the Ghetto Effect as well.
hehe didn't know that. i'll go back and try it.

btw, what's up with "Lava Caves" and "Ice Valley"? super generic name attack.
Strategy Guide Writer
Quote from UchihaSasuke:
hehe didn't know that. i'll go back and try it.

btw, what's up with "Lava Caves" and "Ice Valley"? super generic name attack.

Yea, they used the same names in the GC version as well. I'm very suprised that they never changed that part of the game (unless they had issues with writing Magmoor and Phendrana in Japanese).
Edit history:
UchihaSasuke: 2009-02-20 06:35:55 am
i see.

btw, your trick worked and i got the artifact in 1 try. i'm sure ghetto effects are still everywhere but once i get sj it will be the real test.
also, the artifact gave me a gray token.

edit: i just noticed this one: remember the thingies that appeared on the visor's sides when you held R to look around? now they're always there.
also, spring jumping in a morph ball tunnel seems to accelerate more the ball. i did that accidentally when returning to phendrana.
Strategy Guide Writer
Quote from UchihaSasuke:
i see.

btw, your trick worked and i got the artifact in 1 try. i'm sure ghetto effects are still everywhere but once i get sj it will be the real test.
also, the artifact gave me a gray token.

edit: i just noticed this one: remember the thingies that appeared on the visor's sides when you held R to look around? now they're always there.
also, spring jumping in a morph ball tunnel seems to accelerate more the ball. i did that accidentally when returning to phendrana.

Have you tried to get the instant unmorph in the room in Magmoor that leads to Phendrana's Lift? (The tunnel that houses the e-tank). It'd be nice to know if they're still in it as well.