page  <- 12345678910 -> <- 1 ... 9, 10 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Cook of the Sea
The last three posts in this thread have been deleted by me.  Stay tuned for my edited-in reasoning.

EDIT:  If you have a problem with what nate just said (I do have many problems with it, I can assure you) you can phrase it in a manner less childish.  This is a serious discussion, and no matter how completely idiotic you may regard one of the viewpoints, you will refrain from flaming or your posts will disappear.  I am not defending nate here.  I think nate is amazingly, unbelievably wrong and has been for a long time about tas and his position on this site and in the world in general.  I will delete flames no matter who they come from and no matter who they are directed against, and I will leave serious, respectful posts untouched no matter who they come from or are directed against.  This is a discussion.  Discuss, don't flame.
I don't know if I'm finding everything I should on page 7.  MonsterERB said some of my points already, if that's what you meant.  Also, you said you changed your opinion a bit.

Quote from Nate:
i agree that in an ideal world, it should not be my responsibility to take care of everyone ... when some people don't do what they should, the other people have a decision: they can either pick up the slack and save the world, or let everyone suffer and be perhaps as guilty as the original shirker.

1) It's not your responsibility, you are taking upon yourself to try and make it as such.  And then complaining about it.

2) You have no right to tell another authority what they should and shouldn't do, save the freedom of speech.  I hope you don't intend to be taken seriously as an authority figure, or as "asserting / recommending".

Quote from Nate:
i agree that it was a mistake for me to ignore TAS until earlier this year. there is no doubt in my mind now that if i ran everything, the world would be a better place. i guess it was just not clear to me until just recently how it was necessary that i get involved, because i have known of the TAS problem for much longer, coming up on two years now. but i ignored people's pleas for help because i believed the people who said that it would go away on its own, or that it would not affect reasonable people, etc. i guess i have a new perspective now on how lawless the internet really is.

Are you joking me?  Do you seriously think this way?  Are you the messiah of the entire internet?  It's "necessary" that you get involved?  You are so arrogant.  The only people I can imagine making pleas for your help share the same short-sighted view of tool-assisted speedruns that you do.

Quote from Nate:
should TAS become the majority then you can come back here and read my first post backwards

What confuses me is your "proof" that you are the majority.  No one can prove what type of speedrunning is more popular.  Yet you base your entire theory and intrusion on the fact that you think console speedrunning is the majority.  Well, I think TASing is the majority.  So why am I wrong?  Because you googled?

Quote from Nate:
do you feel no sympathy for your fellow man?

I don't see this as the epidemic that you do, so I don't think anything is severe enough to need any sympathy.  We were all uneducated about TASing at one point, and we used our ability to learn and the materials available in order to educate ourselves about the difference.  Those who choose to waive this right do not receive sympathy from me, because they alone have the ability to fix this.

Quote from Nate:
the situation should be evaluated not by how much has been done, but by whether enough has been done. enough has not been done.

Says the moderator of a completely different website.

Quote from Nate:
i also doubt that it can be considered "trivial" to go through those steps to produce a deceptive, unmarked version

It's pretty close to trivial.  If you can run the movie in an emulator, all you have to do is choose "record to AVI".  It may not be compressed as fine-tuned-ly as the runs found on TASVideos, but it's still an unmarked copy.

Quote from Nate:
i am saying that there is deception going on, and those people who are in a position to do something about it are not doing enough about it

As I said earlier, those who are ignorant to the material and actually would care about the difference (group 2 I believe) have the burden themselves of educating themselves.  We cannot be expected to spoon-feed everyone who doesn't wish to learn things, we can only be expected to provide the information and hope that people will educate themselves on it.  What you are hoping for is as impossible as stopping the possibility of unmarked AVIs.

Quote from Nate:
it sounds to me like you don't think people would agree with me because i am right, and they only are going to support me because of my position or something.

I felt this way several times from comments in the thread about my TAS.

Quote from Nate:
i am a speaker for the majority and nothing more. you can view me as the result of an opinion poll. if something i say is in fact not best for the majority, then they will correct me (again, see page 7), and we can go on our merry way. this topic was exactly that, actually - i was feeling everyone up to see what course or courses of action i should take to remedy this situation.

How can you say this when your views on TASing are so extreme?  I've heard many people from your site say they've tried to talk you out of being closed-minded to TASing.  And earlier on the thread, when people were divided into three groups:

1) People who don't know, and don't care.
2) People who don't know, but would be interested in the difference.
3) People who already know the difference.

As (I think it was you) said, (1) is a permanent problem, and (2) is being remedied more every day.  So what course of action should you take?  I believe you should sit back and let the TAS website continue to inform people as we always have, and over time, the idea will become more and more familiar.  We aren't corrupting the world as you say we are, and the two types of speedrunning are much more distinct than they were when TASing was first presented.  There's no reason the situation won't continue to head in that direction, even if you don't intrude.

Quote from Nate:
there is no doubt in my mind now that if i ran everything, the world would be a better place.

I hope you realize this is merely an opinion.  You almost sound like a dictator.
Quote:
also, it sounds to me like you don't think people would agree with me because i am right, and they only are going to support me because of my position or something. you see, i am they. i am a speaker for the majority and nothing more.

In this case, nate, no, you are not.

Enough people on this site have disagreed with you here so that, if you are speaking for anyone, it's not here.  And as for the uninformed masses, show me a quote from someone outside m2k2/sda/tasvids that says that the current disclaimers aren't enough.  Note the difference between 'more would be nice' and 'this isn't enough', for yes, more would be nice.  But there's a ton of reasons against that.  Show the world something that says this is not enough.

And yes, if you do manage to procure one quote, I'll ask for more. >_>

In all of the threads about TASs on other forums I've seen, while people may have been stupid enough to not read the disclaimers, I don't recall one instance of someone going 'bah humbug.  they didn't make it obvious enough.'  One quote won't be enough to speak for a majority when I recall no previous glaring example of it existing.

nate, if you can show that a large amount of people wish there was more obvious labelling, I bet that would have a much stronger effect on getting bisqwit's site to change than any amount of threads you post here.

JXQ: Calling someone arrogant will fail when he honestly believes his current course of action will lead to better things.
[Deleted]
Quote from Maur:
JXQ: Calling someone arrogant will fail when he honestly believes his current course of action will lead to better things.

This is very, very true.  It is important to remember that most arguments are not about right or wrong, good versus bad, correct or incorrect.  Most arguments are about opinions, or about people's personal interpretation of a given set of facts.  Nate truly believes that what he is doing is the right thing to do.  Just as the TAS community is doing what they feel is the best thing to do.  Now, there are evil/sociopathic people out there, who intentionally do things they know to be immoral or wrong - but I don't think that describes anyone in this debate.
I seem to have been marked as "FOE OF ALL TOOL-ASSISTED RUNS" during the brouhaha from last month (JXQ's 100% Super Metroid TAS), some of which I brought on myself with an ill-advised remark, but I'm really not.  I do prefer watching console runs, and I've only ever attempted console runs, so calling me a "console speedrunner/speedrun fan" would be quite accurate.  However, I've watched TAS'es before and enjoyed them.  I especially enjoy them when they attempt a new type of run, or something that would be nearly impossible on console - a great example would be Saturn's reverse-boss-order SM TAS attempt, which I've only ever been very supportive of.  But, I'm rambling a bit.  My main point follows directly below:
In a perfect world, every console speedrun video or TAS video would include a short, unobtrusive, yet universally understandable "marker" that would allow anyone to know how the video content was made - whether it's a single-segment console run, multi-segment console run, tool-assisted speedrun, emulator run using no tools, emulator run using savestates but no slowdown, et cetera.  We, obviously, don't live in that perfect world.  Nobody has yet come up with the perfect "marker" to do the job.  Most, if not all, console runs are unmarked.  Most, if not all, TAS runs are marked with some sort of disclaimer/information.  It is undisputed that some people have viewed a tool-assisted speedrun and, not knowing any better (or being too lazy to find out), have assumed it to be a console run.  It's also quite probable that some people may have viewed a skillfully done console speedrun, and wondered whether it was tool-assisted or not, due to the lack of any marker or disclaimer.
Hopefully we (meaning ALL of us, whether you're pro-console, pro-TAS, or neutral) can agree that any instance of such confusion is something better avoided.  Anyone who takes the time to download a gaming video and watch it deserves to know how the video content was made.  Was it a tool-assisted emulator run?  Console run?  Done with Gameshark/cheat codes?  Using a cracked version of the game?  Single-segment, or multi-segment?  And so on.  In my opinion, it would cost the console speedrunning community NOTHING to produce a splash screen or short video prologue stating, "This run was made in real-time on a Nintendo Gamecube console, using no cheat codes.  The player attempted each segment of the run multiple times to achieve the fastest possible completion time.  Thanks for watching."  Whether or not console is majority, TAS is majority, or it's dead even... immaterial.  If such a message helps avoid any confusion for a few speedrun viewers, then I say some sort of marker for console runs is a positive thing.
By the same token, the disclaimer on TAS videos is not 100% effective.  In my opinion it's actually pretty good in fulfilling its purpose.  But, there are still people who mistake a TAS video for a console speedrun.  Nobody disputes this.  Therefore, while the current disclaimer is fairly effective, the TAS community should continue searching for better ones.
And there's where I really disagree with nate.  I don't disagree with him that TAS videos should be more clearly labeled.  They should.  Console speedruns should also be clearly labeled.  I disagree when he says things along the lines of, "it's my job to fix the problem".  I think that the problem isn't as large as he makes it out to be, and that any solution should be initiated by the TAS community.  His suggestion of "cheated" had zero percent chance of success from the jump... and on some level I think nate knows that.  From his vantage point he thought it was the shortest, most accurate descriptor - but from the TAS viewpoint, it could only ever be viewed as derogatory.  It would be like the TAS community saying console runs should have a disclaimer of "imperfect".  Think you're going to see a disclaimer in front of Red Scarlet's 0:55 100% SM, or kip's 1:04 any% Prime, saying, "This imperfect speedrun was made on a console in real-time"?  Not going to happen.  And it shouldn't.
In my opinion, he presented his solution in a very condescending and borderline hostile way.  He probably didn't intend it to come across that way, but that's how I saw it.  I think "tool-assisted speedrun" is a fairly accurate descriptor.  And, I think TAS videos could be labeled in a better way - but I disagree strongly with nate's method for reaching that solution.  I disagree that it is his job to do anything about the situation.  I think it is the TAS community's job to decide on a better marker for their videos.  I think that any console speedrunners/fans are welcome to make helpful suggestions and engage in the debate - but not to attempt to unilaterally impose a solution that TAS fans oppose.
===
EDIT (@ Guybrush) - I understand you're angry, but the sarcasm isn't going to help.  We'd all be better served if the rhetoric could get ratcheted down a few notches, in my humble opinion.
I like Big Butts and I can not lie
So the way I see it.
The majority is pure speed running, because it's more well known.
Cheating falls under AR, gameshark ect..
Tool-assistance is almost like programming/reprogramming.
Emulator assistance only means playing on emulator (see smokeys 14%).

Then there's just loads of stuff about communitys and 's.

If you ask me, cheating doesn't work, so what about fake (or some sort of rewording).

EDIT:Forgot to mention instead of a "splash screen" how about a mini-clip, like at the start of scarlets nbmb or ekards or sess's run
Viking
Precursor
For some reason I can't possibly understand (but I blame nate for it), I threw myself into this debate and posted my thoughts at the TASvideos forum. My suggestion isn't perfect either, but there is no perfect solution. I settled for "hopefully reasonable".
Quote from MonsterERB:
It would be like the TAS community saying console runs should have a disclaimer of "imperfect".  Think you're going to see a disclaimer in front of Red Scarlet's 0:55 100% SM, or kip's 1:04 any% Prime, saying, "This imperfect speedrun was made on a console in real-time"?  Not going to happen.  And it shouldn't.

Quote from Radix's Metroid Prime 100% 1:37 commentary:
I hope my imperfect run will inspire others to try, and I wish good luck to anyone crazy enough to do so.

When I posted that run everyone laughed at me for using such a word. How could such an amazing run be "imperfect" they thought. No one would ever beat it! Clearly they were wrong and I was right. So maybe they should. Every run can be beaten.
Well, Radix... of course console runs are imperfect.  Your run is a great example.  I (and many other speedrunners) thought your 1:37 100% Prime 1 run was the coolest thing ever.  Hell, watching it is what made ME want to sequence break and speedrun.  Many of us thought it would never be beaten.
Of course, now there's a single-segment 100% run in 1:36.
Just saying that if the TAS community was to suggest to the console speedrunners that their vids should be labeled as "imperfect"... it would feel like a slap in the face, and we'd reject the idea reflexively.  Even though console runs ARE imperfect.
And, btw, if I ever finish my no-damage Prime run, I volunteer to put a disclaimer/splash sheet on it.  Something along the lines of, "This run was performed in real-time on a Nintendo Gamecube console using no cheat codes or Action Replay-type devices.  All in-game footage was recorded onto VHS tape.  Each segment was attempted multiple times to achieve the desired result.  Enjoy the run!"
Wow, somehow I overlooked this thread. Oh, well...

I must warn all of you, though: this will take a time to read. Also, I will most likely repeat myself in different forms a few times throughout the post to make sure my message will be interpreted adequately at least once. Also, now that I've read the whole thread and especially the 7th page (actually, I started writing this post long before that), I've realised I will also repeat some of 13M13's, Maur's, Purple Lizard's and SABER's points of view, because my point is mostly the same. I think I'll cut the explicitly redundant text now.
...Ok, done. It's still kinda too much, though. :)

First, several notes on Nate's earlier words.

Quote from nate:
4c. Attempts by the majority to solve the TAS problem by punishing the TAS community have been unsuccessful. In many cases, the majority has suffered more than the minority when it has attempted to correct the situation in its favor. I no longer believe that the majority will prevail unless the TAS community voluntarily acquiesces to the majority's demands.

Majority, minority, demands, prevail... Prevail in what?
This is not a war, and isn't meant to be one. I'm not expecting anyone to be all good and friendly until the "demanding and prevailing" part is dismissed. I understand this is only terminology, but it doesn't change the meaning of expressed intentions.

Quote from nate:
5. The Solution

5a. In the absence of any perfect solution, an imperfect one must be chosen (2a). This solution will be disliked by the minority.

See above. Starting the solution paragraph with that kind of statement is what someone may call oppression, and that must be avoided at all costs. Both communities should walk forward together instead of demanding or driving each other to do the first step. I'm glad you've understood that (hopefully) and now making an appropriate paragraph at SDA.

Quote from nate:
5c. The inappropriateness of the word "cheated" as applied to all TAS notwithstanding, does the application of this word to a given TAS cause any real harm? The creator of the TAS may argue that his or her work has been trivialized or otherwise reduced by its application, because he or she is thinking of how it is applied in his or her community

Well, two words. Even if you are the representative of the so called majority, you cannot fully disregard the minority, otherwise this is just plain fascism.

------------------------------------

From this point, there will be no objections and causting criticism, but a wordful and somewhat constructive attempt of... no, not settling the conflict -- this will be an attempt to find all the obvious causes that make that very conflict merely a sleeping volcano instead of removing all the dangerous elements that, if driven to some extent, will inevitabely make it erupt once more. So, let's begin.

One thing that cannot be underlooked is the fact that some speedrunners often get upset when some ignorant or mischievous people toss the TASes in the same league with the legit runs. It hurt their feelings, and although I'm not in favour of caring for the stupid (note: not just ignorant, but plain stupid) people, nor am I in favour of being jealous (when that's the case), I can understand that.

But Nate, I think you failed to see the real problem here, or at least find an appropriate way of perceiving it, up to this very moment. You mostly try to oppress TAS community and make it conform to your vision (not even the community's vision, just your own!) of reality. But the real problem, as you already know, is not the existence of tool-assisted runs, but the other people' ignorance of their very existence and purpose, that makes them believe they are deceived. Labeling TASes as cheated movies or whatnot, in fact, doesn't reduce the ignorance. So, the question is: what should we (the [both types of] speedrun related folk) do to reduce the ignorance? That is kind of a problem you should have been trying to find solution to. To my sincere amusement, that really reminds me of some neverending topics concerning the harm of using psychoactive drugs where people scatter some ridiculous arguments dangerously similar to "if people get killed with kitchen knifes, we must prohibit the use of kitchen knives". The lack of information, ignoring that information and giving wrong information is what kills people and spreads the panic. Not the drugs. "And knowledge is half the battle", as would a GI Joe character say.

By claiming (note that you may not claim that as well, but the impression is still what matters, as you have said yourself) that TASes are cheated, you spread even more controversies and misinformation. "Cheated? Oh, that bastards must be trying to deceive us by claiming their runs are legit! Maybe they even try to submit their runs here to make us look like fools! Let's spread the word!" I believe this isn't what you really want. Moreover, I think this is the worst "solution" possible. Even more, it is not a solution at all. I would like to stress the fact that feeding the ignorance with misinformation won't do any good to both communities, and the mutual disrespect would only grow stronger. Note, that as of now, there's (well, almost -- I can't say for everyone) no hate nor disrespect from the TAS side towards speedrunners themselves (I'm not talking about personal relationships, etc.), but the latter sometimes don't hesitate to show it every now and then (BTW, there's an example right in one of your footnotes) -- even in this thread that was supposed to result in a friendly debate (yes, StarmanHaxor, I'm talking about you).

So, instead of filling your (and others') head with some inane thinking categories like prevailing, the majority rule, the laws of democracy (an internet democracy? Oh, come on.), making the world better (the world isn't getting better or worse, but rather closer to or farther from your own ideal conception of the world itself) and the like, you must search for a constructive solution that will possibly benefit both communities, and not just one of them at the expense of another, initially. Note that I address you, and not say, Bisqwit, mainly because: a) it is you who claims to percieve the problem; b) it is you who claims to represent the "suffering" side (a.k.a. m2k2sda speedrunners community); c) it is you who at least tries to make some initial (not always successful, though) attempts in debating and, to cut a long story short, of all persons involved in these debates, you seem to be the most concerned. But if you raise the problem, then you deal with it. Making other people do what they don't want to, while blatantly disregarding the fact that it may even hurt them, isn't the right way to go. Period.

So, to [attempt to] prove myself useful, I will try suggesting more open and clear (not entirely fresh and unique, though) set of actions to inform the people of the difference between normal and tool-assisted speedruns, also inform on how both sides make their movies and all that kind of stuff. There was a discussion there at Nesvideos/Tasvideos recently, about making a short video introduction on how these runs are made and what make them so different, yet so similar to normal speedruns.

Given that a person knows what speedrun is, they probably know what SDA is, as well. Simply because it is the most popular site about speedrunning in the whole web. Even if they don't know, they will eventually stumble upon it. So, there can be something similar there! There is a lot of unused space at the SDA index page, that could be used to fulfill that purpose.

For example, I don't think text like this would hurt anyone:
"Note that this site collects only legit speedruns, made on real consoles and in real-time.
If you want to see the unofficial tool-assisted speedruns [maybe the word "demonstrations" will fit here, too] made on an emulator using slowdowns and other non-legit techniques, please proceed HERE [...to educate yourself on that matter]."

The underlined words should be linked to the appropriate paragraphs either in SDA FAQ, or the one at TASVideos. The exact same thing could be done at TASVideos for the sake of symmetry ("be sure to check the other side, too" principle would get very appropriate here) This would help people who are interested in general speedruns to educate themselves without any ridiculous needs to call TAS what they are not, and all that kind of stuff. The more popular the place, the more quickly the knowledge will spread. That will significantly reduce the amount of ignorance among the still conscious speedrun watchers (and the speedrunners themselves, too), and maybe even help some people make their choice between normal and tool-assisted speedrunning (instead of artificially dismissing that choice).

Nate, I suppose you to be a wise enough person to understand that to ensure yourself that people will read and comprehend something, you need to put that something in the right place, in the right time and in the right form. Why is SDA perfect for that purpose? First, it is the first place to go when looking for any "generic" speedruns without knowing there are actually two distinct types of them. Second, the more you procrastinate (lol, procrasti-nate), the more ignorance and misinformation will spread. Third, SDA has a really solid reputation and if you put some not explicitly controversial piece of information there, it is about to get trusted without any additional explanations. Finally, there are more people that you would like to target at, than say, Nesvideos/Tasvideos, where virtually anyone who have been interested enough to join the community (or at least lurk at the forums) already knows the nuances. Making a useful and correct information source out of a place like SDA would work without doubt. I'm very glad you're up to it.

Now you have to decide, if the average folk's ignorance is something you're fighting with (and if it is worth bothering to fight with it at all), or it is something else that's totally unrelated. Going all that "it's they who must do it [, cause it's their concern]" while stating unambiguously that it is your concern and your initiative is not the right way to do things. Or at least not the effective one. If you prove everyone that you're really concerned with that problem by making the actual steps towards the optimal solution, the others will more likely support you. If you make a demand while not actually doing something that would please both sides (and even more, something that would be a useless nuisance to the "opposing" side), nothing useful will happen. That may sound redundant, but it seems that you need to be told that kind of things quite thoroughly. ;D

There is one more point worth mentioning about tool-assisted runs in a knowledgebase section, though, that a TAS can't really show a player's actual skill at a given game (and it heavily contradicts with cheating, which would get assumed to be exactly the demonstration of the skills the player most likely lacks), but it could very well demonstrate his wits and the ability to invent totally unexpected moves that are not considered worth trying (and in many cases, just carelessly omitted) in speedrunning community due to understanding (sometimes to an extent of being a religious belief) of human limitations.

Quote from MonsterERB:
Console runs and TAS are utterly, fundamentally different.  THEY SHOULD NEVER, EVER, BE COMPARED TO EACH OTHER IN TERMS OF COMPLETION TIME. [...] Comparing the completion times for the two makes no sense - they are different kinds of run. [...] if the TAS community would make a strong effort to discourage those comparisons, much of the tension would disappear

Actually, it's not the comparison that is wrong, but the purpose of such a comparison. For instance, saying that a TAS beats the world record by 16 minutes may basically mean that the record can still be improved by up to 16 minutes -- that basically indicates the time that was wasted on strategic (planning the route and the moves to perform at a given point) and physical (all of the complete and partial failures/inabilities to perform the desired move at the desired time) inconsistencies of the record owner's run. Will such an improvement ever be made (at least by a human) is another question. But I sincerely hope that it would give some runner who feels himself skillful enough to take such a challenge some additional motivation to break the record.

At least that's precisely what humankind have been doing for all of its lifespan: striving for something unreachable. However, talking about the time difference in context of the "mad skills" of TAS runner compared to the record owner is wrong without a single doubt.

----------YOU MAY SKIP THIS PART----------

To those who are not entirely familiar with a making of a TAS, I can tell that from time to time, it involves tremendous amounts of strategic planning for doing a mere fraction of a second as perfect as it can get. I will not deny the fact that this kind of planning is present in the console runs as well, but the difference is in the precision. If a console player makes mistakes throughout his run, it gets accepted as long as it breaks the current record. In tool-assisted run, even a mere second worth of mistakes can decide the faith of the run, as long as they are obvious and disturbing (and how can obvious mistakes be not disturbing in a movie that strives for perfection!). The virtually infinite amount of time tool-assisted runner has at his disposal has nothing to do with his ability and will to test all the opportunities, routes, moves and basically, every little thing that could save time, no matter how much time it really saves. That being said, what can be considered action in conventional playing, turns the game into a complex strategy that inevitably involves some brainpower, and thus renders it comparable to a game of chess. If the input provided by one TAS player completes any given part of the game faster than another's (assuming both of them aim for speed), it doesn't mean the first one has more skills. It means he has simply outsmarted the second one. Thus, that all-time popular puns (and especially accusations) on the TASers' "lack of skills" cannot have any valid ground at all. This precision and the will to do something new and entirely unexpected is what make good TASes so difficult to accomplish, and makes the process of accomplishing them so interesting and challenging intelligence-wise. But let's proceed.

----------YOU MAY CONTINUE READING----------

Some time ago, it was TAS scene who borrowed the ideas from the regular speedruns. Now we have many evidences that TAS community could help the speedrunners as well, mainly because it's TAS runners' duty to test all the possible ways of completing given segment of the game as fast as possible. They have all the means in the world to do that without any additional inconveniences encountered by the console users.

That way, the more games being thoroughly tackled by TASers, the higher rises the overall standard of quality, and the more new opportunities there are to challenge. Again, both communities could benefit from that.

Here, I must add that from the whole vault of the game actions considered to be unique to the TAS scene, most of them are reproducible (of course, not 100% effective, but still reproducible in either way) on the console. I will elaborate now.

As far as I know, mockball glitch from Super Metroid was first encountered and executed on a console. Yet there was some difficulties considering how legit that glitch was, it was still being used and mastered by the speedrunners all over the world.
But the mockball requires much skill to execute perfectly. You can see Red Scarlet going into mockball state from a tiny hop in her :55 run, but if you try to reproduce it without any sufficient experience and knowledge on what to do, you will definitely fail, as the margin of failure lies in a range of only a few frames -- similarly to most of the TAS "exclusive" tricks. As I can see it, only the fact that it was first discovered on a console and used in a console run made others believe that it really is possible and muster it until they were successful.

However, quite often we can see that the general approach of a [not open-minded enough] speedrunner to a new or unusual move shown in a TAS is "bah, it most certainly requires frame precision, I won't even bother trying that in my console run!" See? I consider that ignorance as well. And this is a problem everyone suffers from, too. The aforementioned part of m2k2sda community may not fully understand that, but that initially mistrustful and suspicious attitude is something that essentially makes their movies look much paler compared to TASes even more than the human limitations as they are. Instead of introducing moves that are still new to the legitimate speedrun community, they most certainly would rather try to polish their old fashioned runs or forget that idea as well.

By the way, that is what the TAS scene is actually trying to avoid at all costs: if there's not enough beautiful and unexpected moves, the movie would look much more boring compared to the respective speedrun, cause in this case, the human factor is what makes the speedrun more interesting. Essentially, each TAS strives for perfection, and if it fails to achieve one (or at least leave a corresponding impression), it would be much more disappoining than watching a similar failure, but in the movie where the perfection is absolutely unachievable by definition, and therefore excused. This mission, defined by Bisqwit and established through the community experience, lays a great responsibility that often turns some newbies off, as they see their not good enough attempts being rejected.

This very urge to push the limits even if it seems to be impossible, which is kinda usual to the TAS scene, is what must be fostered in speedrunners community as well! There must be "hey, I think I could do that thing on a console! Let's try..." instead of a snobby, whiny and ignorant "I won't bother myself trying to do that / that is impossible, forget about it / I don't care what they do in their runs, it's easy if you have frame advance" and so on.

Let me show you another representative example of segregating.

Quote from nate:
Those who choose to play by the game creator's (or "stock") rules are the majority, while those who seek to change the rules to introduce new, (some would say) more interesting elements into the game are labeled cheaters by the majority

There's not many runs at SDA that strictly obey the rules. Each time a sequence break is found, the runners use it, which would make them cheaters by your definition as well. Essentially the same goes for glitches.

So, as you can see, trying to forcedly segregate two essentially different communities by criteria of your purely subjective perception of the "right" and "wrong" sides may turn out in a severe hypocrisy, even if you haven't had any bad intentions to start with. And guess who'll be the one to blame. Oh wait, this is already happening, like, for months. You know why? I can show you one of the possible reasons:
Quote from nate:
also, it sounds to me like you don't think people would agree with me because i am right, and they only are going to support me because of my position or something. you see, i am they. i am a speaker for the majority and nothing more.

The one thing you've consistedly failed to understand since the very beginning, is that you are yourself, "and nothing more" �. It would be foolish to assume that you and all of the so called majority share the same view -- in fact, this and all the other threads depicting this issue show quite the opposite. Just try to count how many people have fully shared your point in this thread. Would it be representative enough to say that most of the posters have disagreed with you on some (or even all of) accounts? How could you call yourself a representative if it took you several month to understand a though both TASers and your fellow community members tried to promote? I think the time to tune your ambitions, misconceptions and all that rubbish down a bit has already come. I think no one would suffer if you do this ASAP.

In conclusion, I would like to emphasize the importance of providing the essential, well formed and clear explanation on what's what without ever resorting to oppression, disrespect, misinformation, hypocrisy and all the stuff like that. No one should fight for the audience, the audience -- be it a usual player, a speedrunner or just an average joe -- must make their own unconstrained choice -- be it normal speedruns or tool-assisted speedruns, or even both of them -- that would be based on a simple well-laid fact sheet that no one from either of the two communities is going to hide or distort to make it conform to their personal vision. There must be no jealousy and envy towards each other as well. There must be no invalid accusations as well. The people are all different, so there can't be any majorities you're talking about, especially in the long run. It's so much better to let them decide for themselves what they want to do and watch, instead of generating the peer pressure and assuring them that there is "right" and "wrong", although it's only your own interpretation. And finally, when someone posts a tool-assisted video on YouTube claiming this is a legit speedrun, it is everyone's duty (duty?) to check if that person isn't misinformed, and if they isn't, report this immediately (or at least leave the link and a short description on what's going on).

That being said, the general principle should be: both communities do their job well, both communities benefit from each other's results. As long as it's that clear and simple, there still is something for all of us to hope for.

Now, some of you may object if there is a valid reason for it.
Mooz, that post was a pleasure to read.

Quote from moozooh:
... you must search for a constructive solution that will possibly benefit both communities ...

I think this is a noble recommendation and one which it would be wise to keep in mind. Not that I'm saying I have a silver bullet that will solve the problem, if, indeed, you are of a worldview that there is a problem to start with, but animosity never solved much.

Quote from moozooh:
b) it is you who claims to represent the "suffering" side (a.k.a. m2k2sda speedrunners community)

I think it's important to bear in mind that the TAS community actually has most of the power here, and are in fact the group in the privileged position, for the simple reason that their runs are almost always going to be faster and more impressive to watch. I think Nate's grievance in this regard is probably valid.

Quote from moozooh:
The underlined words should be linked to the appropriate paragraphs either in SDA FAQ, or the one at TASVideos. The exact same thing could be done at TASVideos for the sake of symmetry ("be sure to check the other side, too" principle would get very appropriate here) This would help people who are interested in general speedruns to educate themselves without any ridiculous needs to call TAS what they are not, and all that kind of stuff.

I think the "link to each other" idea with elucidary information on both sides is a good one, personally, rather than this "let's ignore that the other camp exists as far as possible" attitude, but others may see things differently. I've said all along that I don't think TAS is going to go away - and to steal your analogy, it's similar to how illicit drugs are never going to go away. The best option is probably to provide as much information as possible to ensure that the public is in a position to make their own informed decisions about these things, rather than just preaching "drugs are evil" or "TAS are evil". (Nate seems to take a pretty hard line stance on drug use, though, so perhaps this observation will backfire !)

Quote from moozooh:
If you make a demand while not actually doing something that would please both sides (and even more, something that would be a useless nuisance to the "opposing" side), nothing useful will happen. That may sound redundant, but it seems that you need to be told that kind of things quite thoroughly. ;D

This is really the crux of the issue as far as I'm concerned. As I mentioned before, TAS runners are in the more powerful position because they will do faster runs, and I suspect Nate feels that it is this position of power which mandates that the onus should be on the TAS community to label their stuff appropriately. I sort of agree with this position, but I also recognise the large amount of effort that has already gone in amongst the TAS community to try to ensure that runs they produce are not misinterpreted as "pure" runs. That the existing solutions are not perfect is regrettable, but I for one appreciate the current TAS labelling system, given that TASers could perfectly well refuse to label anything if they so desired. Consequently I think that if someone can genuinely come up with a good idea to improve labelling of runs and general knowledge about TAS versus non-TAS, whether this idea would be more work for either community, it ought to be recognised as such and implemented, rather than seen as a nuisance. Unfortunately 99% of the suggestions I've seen so far are controversial ("cheated") or don't actually improve anything ("cyborg run" versus "TAS"). That doesn't mean that both sides shouldn't keep their minds open to employing a better solution if one ends up suggesting itself, which is why I'm all for a spirit of mutual cooperation rather than one of enmity.

Quote from moozooh:
There's not many runs at SDA that strictly obey the rules. Each time a sequence break is found, the runners use it, which would make them cheaters by your definition as well. Essentially the same goes for glitches.

Some part of me wants to find something fundamentally wrong with that analysis, but I think it's fair. I've seen posts at GameFAQs where people have refused to watch sequence broken console runs because they consider them to be cheating. Then there was the whole "secret worlds in Prime are cheating" / "no they're not" / "yes they are" debacle to which similar analysis applies. Of course in the case of TAS you're using abilities with which the game itself does not provide you, whereas in the two examples I just cited you are not. For anti-TASers this gives a very clean way of labelling one set of runs "cheated" and one set "not cheated", but the fact that everyone has a different interpretation of what "cheating" might entail is one we should probably all remember.

As far as Nate goes, I think it's important to realise that while many consider his methods to be a bit overbearing and sometimes just downright ill-advised, he reacts as he does because he is passionate about trying to solve a problem about which he feels strongly. Were I he, my methods for trying to solve it would have been significantly more measured and humble, but what might be perceived as bullish arrogance is probably more akin to exasperation over the unintentional devaluation of console runs. I can certainly understand that, even though I think the precise way this thread was started was more likely to cause damage than amelioration. I never really liked the "majority" argument he has put forward, partially because (as many have pointed out) it's easy to pick holes in it, partly because there's no real way to know what the "majority" is, but mainly because it's overly analytical with regard to a problem that is really very simple - ignorance.

Congratulations anyway, mooz, I was determined not to post in this thread but you suckered me into it. ;)
Moozooh, well put, I agree with mostly everything you said. :) Hopefully Nate will take that into consideration.
moozooh: Excellent post.  You need to publish that thing in hard-bound form and sell it at Barnes and Noble, though.  Quite possibly the longest post I've ever read.  Shocked
Your point about console speedrunners and TAS makers being able to benefit each other is a good one.  Console speedrunners should watch TAS videos and analyze them for possible tricks and strategies, if they're really serious about improving their times.  But, let's say we're talking about Super Metroid here (since the recent controversy started with JXQ's run).  Now, there are some tricks that are not possible on console AT ALL.  No console runner can hit the "aim-up" button on every single frame for the faster running speed necessary to get early supers without mockball, or early ice beam without mockball.  Some tricks might have a "dumbed down" version, not quite as effective as on the TAS, but better than nothing.  An example of this would be the short charge - a console runner can do this trick, but Samus will require much more real estate to acquire speed echoes than is needed with frame advance on a TAS.  And, maybe there are some tricks that can be duplicated exactly.  Certain tricky walljumps, ultra-precise speedballing, fast boss kill strategies, etc.
But, there's a caveat there - even for the tricks that can be duplicated exactly, the console runner is playing in real-time and is going to have a fairly low chance of success for a difficult trick.  And since the console runner isn't using savestates, he/she is playing a rather lengthy segment (sometimes even one segment for the whole game) full of tricks.  Let's say the console speedrunner is planning a segment, between save stations, that will take about 5 minutes to play.  Let's say that there are four tricks in this segment, picked from "classic console" techniques, with chances of success being 80%, 50%, 50%, and 10% - one easy move, two moderately difficult moves, and one really devilish trick at the end that makes or breaks the segment.  This translates to a total chance of success, for a "clean" segment, of 2%.  The runner should expect to try this segment about 50 times to get a clean segment done.  At 5 minutes per attempt, that's 250 minutes, or about 4 hours.  Actually it will be less than that.  Some of the goofs will come on trick 1, 2, or 3 - with an earlier restart.  Let's say 3 hours, then, for 50 attempts, by which time a clean segment should be in the bag.
Not bad at all.  A dedicated console speedrunner would easily be willing to invest that much time on a segment.  That's a project you could tackle in one night, maybe be sleepy at school/work the next day, but nothing too terrible.  Now let's say the runner watches a Super Metroid TAS video and gets an idea.  The TAS contains a very difficult walljump that he's never seen before, but he thinks he can pull it off with lots of practice.  The console runner pops in his SM cartridge and goes to work.  After 3 hours of practice, he's actually pulled off the TAS trick a few times and is quite proud.  But, it's still really, REALLY hard to do in real-time.  Not impossible, but let's say a 2% chance of success for that one trick.  He decides to include it in his run, along with the other tricks.  Total chance of success is now 0.02 x 0.02 = 0.0004, or 0.04%.  1 in 2,500.  At 5 minutes per try, that's 12,500 minutes, or about 208 hours.  Let's reduce that for early restarts on the failed "console" tricks down to about 150 hours.  If the runner has 3 hours of free time for gaming, that's 50 days.  And, probably some breaks are in order, so you're talking at least 2 or 3 months for one segment.  That's a really daunting proposition, even for an extremely motivated speedrunner.
This is where the placement of the most difficult trick within the segment becomes ABSOLUTELY CRUCIAL.  If the "TAS-adapted trick" comes within the first minute of gameplay, it's not so bad.  The pressure is much lower, knowing that if you mess up the 1/50 trick, you've only wasted a minute or so.  If the TAS-adapted trick is early in the segment, the vast majority of restarts will be right there, reducing the 150 hours of gameplay down to a much more manageable number - let's say 50 hours.  Still would be hell, though - playing 3 hours a night, every night, for 16-17 days - with thousands of repetitions of the same segment - hoping for one time when everything works together.  Getting the 1/50 TAS-adapted trick to work, geting the next 3 tricks to work, then messing up the 1/10 console trick at the end, would just be soul-crushing.  Factor in that the runner is going to have that same thing happen several times before ultimate success, and... not something I'd volunteer for.  It's much worse, of course, if the 1/50 trick comes near the end of the segment.  It will still take the same number of tries, probably, but much more gameplay time total.  Much more time wasted running the first 4.5 minutes of the segment, only to fail at the 1/50 trick with 30 seconds to go and the next save room right around the corner.  Three hours a night, thousands of reps, for 2-3 months.  For one 5-minute segment.
The console runner cannot use a savestate before the TAS-adapted trick.  It's got to be in one shot.  Now, want to know the REAL kicker?  How much time does the TAS-adapted trick save?  If it's a major benefit, 30+ seconds say, or allows a new route or item skip, and I'm mentally deranged enough, I might decide to be stubborn and slog on through.  Especially if I'm going for a world record, and that 30 seconds, or new route, could be the deciding factor.  But, what if the TAS-adapted trick only saves 2 seconds?  A time differential that is very unlikely to make a difference in my final clock time?  Think I'm going to spend 2-3 months on a segment, instead of one night, when it saves 2 seconds that make no difference in my final run completion time?  Hell no.  Somebody else, maybe - but not me.
All that said, I agree with moozooh that the attitude of "TAS tricks are for TAS only" is closeminded.  A serious speedrunner should be looking for any possible advantage.  But, a rational speedrunner has to weigh the risk/reward benefit of including each trick in the segment.  Each trick included means more time spent and more reps.  As each trick gets harder, time spent and number of reps go up accordingly.  This is the main difference between a console speedrun and a TAS.  In a TAS, perfection is expected, due to the tools available.  Every difficult move is pulled off frame-by-frame with backup savestates in case a mistake is made.  Thorough planning of every maneuver is expected to achieve artistic perfection.  Extraordinarily difficult tricks can be strung together, one after another after another.  In a console run, this is not realistic.  Stringing together a bunch of 1% - 2% - 5% - 1% - 5% chances in a row just doesn't work.
"But what about TAS-adapted tricks for console, with a higher percent chance of success", you say?  What if you can find a TAS trick and use it on the console with a 10% chance of success?  Or even better - 20%, or 40%?  Because there aren't any of those.  Super has been out for 12 years, and I'd guess that any trick that can be pulled off on the console with that kind of success rate, has already been found.  The only kind of tricks that TAS would reveal are of the "OMG THAT'S INSANE!" variety, that no console runner would think possible.  Extremely cool to watch, but very difficult (if not impossible) to duplicate on the console.
Summing up a long post - yes, console speedrunners SHOULD watch TAS videos for ideas and strategies.  But, the longer the console version of the game has been available, and the more thoroughly it has been explored, the lower the chance that TAS will reveal a trick that console runners could realistically include in a segment.
I'm now headed off to the bookbinders.  You should find this post available at Barnes and Noble shortly.  Embarassed
looking good in here ...

http://speeddemosarchive.com/TAS.html

what do y'all think? (it's not final/posted yet.)

also:

Quote from DJGrenola:
The best option is probably to provide as much information as possible to ensure that the public is in a position to make their own informed decisions about these things, rather than just preaching "drugs are evil" or "TAS are evil". (Nate seems to take a pretty hard line stance on drug use, though, so perhaps this observation will backfire !)

on the contrary, i believe in that fundamental principle, and even used the drugs/sex analogy on the phone to my parents last week when i was explaining what i am doing to them. i have never said anything like "tas is evil".
Nate - I think that's a very well-written document there.  It's quite informative and not in the least bit insulting or inflammatory.  But, that's my opinion of it.  It will be interesting to see what the TAS community thinks.
in the name of justice!
okay, so what nate just posted seems to help what i already think he thinks. (if i'm totally out of it here, i'll edit this)

nate, as i have seen in for example the "outreach" thread at sda, is looking to bring greater fame and...legitimacy, really, to speed running (he said something to the effect of "we should be getting this too" after a cnn article about the new rubik's cube record, which rises to the front of my mind when i think about this).  i think that from this perspective, twin galaxies and tasvideos don't make this any easier.  twin galaxies obviously because they have some sort of magical claim to being "official" (hey, this is the internet, couldn't we give sda some sort of awesome official-ness-ness-ness?) and some of their records are actually faster (metroid 1 :( ... maybe i'll spend my summer doing that...except my nes doesn't really work.  anyway...).

okay, i still don't know exactly what i want to say about tas.  i think though that it could reflect very negatively in public light like it did on the internet when the smb3 stuff first went around. (i actually missed it, though i remember a forum like a year after where a lot of people were still pretty bitter about it...)

but, i agree with monster.
@ appropriate person: <3
Quote from nate:

Now that is really wonderful!

Although I didn't quite get this section: "There is even work underway to write computer programs that make TAS videos, thereby eliminating even more human error from the production process."
If you're referring to BisqBot, then it's still very very far from the actual ability to take on some complex in-game situations. As of now, its only use lies in determining the shortest frame-by-frame input for achieving the desired task (which is expressed by a variable in a certain memory address, as far as I understand), and the actual input length rarely exceed a few seconds, IIRC. Moreover, it was only used by Bisqwit himself, so I think this part could have been omitted without any objections. All the runs are being made by the humans, anyway.

I assume there will be a link from the front page as well as from the FAQ?
Quote from nate:
Quote from DJGrenola:
The best option is probably to provide as much information as possible to ensure that the public is in a position to make their own informed decisions about these things, rather than just preaching "drugs are evil" or "TAS are evil". (Nate seems to take a pretty hard line stance on drug use, though, so perhaps this observation will backfire !)

on the contrary, i believe in that fundamental principle, and even used the drugs/sex analogy on the phone to my parents last week when i was explaining what i am doing to them. i have never said anything like "tas is evil".

I know that, and I apologise, because that comment wasn't directed at you - it was merely generalised musing on an attitude that I perceive to be a step forward contrasted against an attitude that would be a step backwards (that of the knee-jerk fanboy). The drug thing was just a joke, so please don't read anything into that.

Quote from Chanoire:
@ appropriate person: <3

why, thank you.
Quote:
Of course, if you are competing with someone who isn't doing the same, this is clearly considered cheating, and this is the second major reason why we don't let you use emulators to record your speed runs here at SDA.

Quote:
It turns out that slowing down the game like this and recording a video of a "perfect" playthrough can sometimes be beneficial even to people who have no interest in doing such a thing themselves.

My changes in bold.

I'd add another short paragraph saying something to the effect of "of course, this has all been analyzed according to SDAs rules.  Nothing says every other site has these same rules, however, and for one (link to tasvideos), these sort of videos are the norm."  You also don't mention savestates or rerecording anywhere.  Lastly, one short line why SDA tracks unassisted and not TAS vids would work well, I think.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and should be treated as such.
Quote from moozooh:
Although I didn't quite get this section: "There is even work underway to write computer programs that make TAS videos, thereby eliminating even more human error from the production process."
If you're referring to BisqBot, then it's still very very far from the actual ability to take on some complex in-game situations. As of now, its only use lies in determining the shortest frame-by-frame input for achieving the desired task (which is expressed by a variable in a certain memory address, as far as I understand), and the actual input length rarely exceed a few seconds, IIRC. Moreover, it was only used by Bisqwit himself, so I think this part could have been omitted without any objections. All the runs are being made by the humans, anyway.

yes, that was what i was referring to. but i agree that it's superfluous. eliminated.

Quote from moozooh:
I assume there will be a link from the front page as well as from the FAQ?

this will be part of the sda knowledge base, which will be linked from the front page. final organization structure of the knowledge base is pending.

Quote from Maur:
Quote:
Of course, if you are competing with someone who isn't doing the same, this is clearly considered cheating, and this is the second major reason why we don't let you use emulators to record your speed runs here at SDA.

Quote:
It turns out that slowing down the game like this and recording a video of a "perfect" playthrough can sometimes be beneficial even to people who have no interest in doing such a thing themselves.

My changes in bold.

more or less affected those.

Quote from Maur:
I'd add another short paragraph saying something to the effect of "of course, this has all been analyzed according to SDAs rules.  Nothing says every other site has these same rules, however, and for one (link to tasvideos), these sort of videos are the norm."  You also don't mention savestates or rerecording anywhere.  Lastly, one short line why SDA tracks unassisted and not TAS vids would work well, I think.

Of course, this is just my opinion, and should be treated as such.

imo that's too pc. keep in mind that the target audience has never heard of any of this stuff before (otherwise they won't need to be reading the document). the actual tools attached to the emulator they can find out about if they follow the link to tasvideos.

as for why the types are segregated, isn't that obvious (and already mentioned several times)? if you mean historical reasons, those are out of place in that document (can read the m2k2 history blocks or something) and even then - i give the two primary reasons why sda is not concerned with tas.
I must confess i couldn't see any hope for this thread ending in anything good, but i am very pleased to see that you made such a fine document about TAS, nate. Of course it's not perfect the way TAS community would want it, but it's in such a state that it's very satisfatory and doesn't hurt anyone. Considering that it's on the SDA site, even nicer to see. kudos.

(i'm one of the people making TAS). I like to make speedruns too, but not much watching them. Come to think of it, i don't watch many TASes either... I just like to make them.  aiwebs_016
I thought of a possible new name for tases in the shower this morning:

Computer-Assisted Speedrun*

I feel it gets the message across better than 'Tool-Assisted Speedruns', and since the run is assisted by computers (Having the slowdown, rewind, savestates) it fits. Its also a hell of a lot better than calling the runs cheated, and it doesn't insult or belittle the tas community.

*could also be replaced by demonstration.
直死の魔眼使い
I agree with StarmanHaxor. CAD or CAS (Computer-Assisted Speedrun/Demonstration) sounds a lot better than cheated, and maybe even drives the message home better than calling the stuff cheated.
Yeah, it *would* work if only there weren't both actual computer-based speedruns (QDQ for example) and non-emulated computer TASes (for games like Doom; also it was the Doom TASing community that coined the term, IIRC).