List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Acheron: 2009-07-05 12:01:36 pm
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
-Completion %-
Glacia (Frozen Terraforming Construct): Complete!
Terrenus (Superatmospheric Mountain Range): Complete!
Radia (Irradiated Desert/Chozo Pyramids): Complete!
Subverda (Underground Botanica/Chozo Ruins): Complete!
G.F.S. Aegis (Cityship Vessel/Sewer System): Complete!
????? (Final Boss Area): 80% Done

Music-10% Done
Tilesets-Complete!
Thread title: 
attachment:
The only thing I hate is knowing I'm going to have to wait for something that looks this cool.  :P

I've seen (but not played) one of the Metroid (DS/Gameboy) games...  The level design reminds me of this.  And the one stage/area with the sandy colored slopes reminded me of something that would be in a old school Strider game.  :o

God Speed Acheron86!!! [-o<
Green-Kirby, ROAR!
Now, I usually don't comment on stuff here any more since.... well I would be to harsh.

Any way....
This is awesome right there! You managed to do metroid like GFX. And from what I saw on the video, There where some neat puzzles and a few action based rooms.
Pallet was dark and nice just like it should be!

There is only one thing that I think is bad: The space pirates seams to take god much to kill. Action is cool, But stuff like that is just a bit retard if you ask me. 2 Supers? And you did auto fire missiles on the other one? Common, not cool! ( I may be wrong, If you have plasma here then no worry)

But overall this looks nice. Best super metroid projects up by today that I have seen! Good luck!

(If you wish some more acurated info and/or some help designing testing. please contact me on: Skype: Crys-stalis or on e-mail: Green-kirby@hotmail.com)
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Quote from Green-Kirby:
The space pirates seams to take god much to kill. Action is cool, But stuff like that is just a bit retard if you ask me. 2 Supers? And you did auto fire missiles on the other one? Common, not cool! ( I may be wrong, If you have plasma here then no worry)

Ah, my bad. That area is the entrance to the "final area" of the game. It's accessible early on, and there are a couple of item upgrades you can grab if you're intrepid, but the pirates are intentionally too tough for the equipment you have. There's no reason to go up that way before the end of the game. : P
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Thanks for the positive feedback, everyone. The sound transitioned strangely in the video so I muted it. Besides, who doesn't like Phendrana Drifts? : P

I've used the in-game soundtrack pretty well, but I'm actually hoping that Jathys' next version of SMILE will come out soon, and that it'll feature music injection or something. Or maybe I'll be the first to suddenly learn ASM and crack the code on adding new music to SM. What? I can dream...

Quote from ridleybeta84:
i noticed that the scrolling was removed from the white background room how was this done?

All the backgrounds you see in the video are just layer2 backgrounds. If you set a room's BG pointer to 0000 and set the high nibbles of both bytes in its Layer2Scroll to 0 (for example, change outdoor Crateria's Layer2Scroll from C1C1 to C0C0), you can use the second layer as a background. It sounds complicated but it really isn't. Just fool around with a backup and you'll get it soon enough.

Quote from playerman1230:
There's the headered and unheadered versions, right? I just want to know because I got to get another fresh copy of my NTSC ROM.

When I make the IPS patch I'll be sure to make headered and unheadered versions. Right now it's headerless.
I have to say this looks really intriguing.  The use of lots of new graphics I believe is a first and the paletting work is splendid.  I'm really excited for this one now and hope that you don't encounter any major setbacks throughout the rest of the development.  I can't wait until you finish this!
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I've said it several times on #jzd and I'll say it again here: I will actually play this hack.

Also, aside from graphics changes and other obvious stuff like that, the only real change I noticed is that large health things give 30 health (which may or may not actually be a change; I can't remember from SM if it's the same as Fusion/ZM).
(user is banned)
Breathe in the Future, Breathe out the Past
I'm really looking forward to this. Looks to be a very fresh experience. Can't wait!
Almost happy
Rapidfire.....is....AWESOME.

Looking really great, amazing new graphics in some of the areas. I especially liked the cloudy area. Fantastic.
(user is banned)
Quote from Acheron86:
I've used the in-game soundtrack pretty well, but I'm actually hoping that Jathys' next version of SMILE will come out soon, and that it'll feature music injection or something. Or maybe I'll be the first to suddenly learn ASM and crack the code on adding new music to SM. What? I can dream...

It would be awesome if the next version of SMILE had that sort of thing, because I've been making music for nearly 6 years and atmospheric ambience is my forte. I'll dream too...
Eschews avatars
Wow, I'm severely humbled. I think I'm gonna take my time on Infer Metroid so this doesn't overshadow it...

The map looks neat, too. Fairly linear, but IMO hacks need to be more linear, as at this point they're really just about the interesting new room designs. Also, errgh! I needed a room design that would cover a LOT of linear space, and the fast taxi with shootable barriers is PERFECT. But now if I use it I'll be derivative! Ah well, I'll come up with something.
Quote from ducknerd:
Wow, I'm severely humbled. I think I'm gonna take my time on Infer Metroid so this doesn't overshadow it...

Seriously. If he releases this right before I finish Soup, I'll have to wait a bit for the cool down before I release it.

Very nice work Acheron.  =D>
Hated by all
Great for a new original project. Not crazy hard as Impossible, Limit and Crazy, not requiring tricks like in the Foodstuff Series, has half the degree of exploration as Golden Dawn, more original than Redesign (no offense, Sigfriedxx), and uh... I forgot what was after.
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Every time someone says something nice about the video, I'm inspired to make a few more rooms. At this rate I'll be done by Friday. :P

Using new tilesets goes a long way towards the "novel" feel of any hack. I've felt like the current distributions of hacks out there are a lot of fun, but most of them don't even use palette swaps. I get tired of running through the same ol' Zebes. ;)  I don't want this one to be too hard and I want it to give players the freedom to sequence break. Hopefully when it's all said and done it'll have a bit of the same magic Super Metroid has.
Great for a new original project. Not crazy hard as Impossible, Limit and Crazy, not requiring tricks like in the Foodstuff Series, has half the degree of exploration as Golden Dawn, more original than Redesign (no offense, Sigfriedxx), and uh... I forgot what was after.

Perhaps not as easy as Legacy and SFI while not as nonlinear as Dependence?
Quote from Acheron86:
Every time someone says something nice about the video, I'm inspired to make a few more rooms. At this rate I'll be done by Friday. :P

Using new tilesets goes a long way towards the "novel" feel of any hack. I've felt like the current distributions of hacks out there are a lot of fun, but most of them don't even use palette swaps. I get tired of running through the same ol' Zebes. ;)  I don't want this one to be too hard and I want it to give players the freedom to sequence break. Hopefully when it's all said and done it'll have a bit of the same magic Super Metroid has.

Just your description of how you want to create your hack makes me want to play this one more and more.  It sounds like it will be a great one when finished.

Here's to another couple rooms from this post. :P
Hated by all
Just one thing: What about the bosses?
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
I've reused two minibosses thus far (bomb torizo and botwoon). I might use a modified Ridley. I definitely won't use any of the others. I currently have two "new" bosses, which are pretty fun fights, but it's clever use of current enemies as opposed to entirely new enemies.
(user is banned)
Quote from Acheron86:
I've reused two minibosses thus far (bomb torizo and botwoon). I might use a modified Ridley. I definitely won't use any of the others. I currently have two "new" bosses, which are pretty fun fights, but it's clever use of current enemies as opposed to entirely new enemies.

Awesome! I find the smaller enemies have more speed and mobility so a tough bout with one could be very challenging and fun.
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Heh, yeah. Let's just say you'd better be item-hunting before you fight that first boss. ;)

As far as sequence breaking goes, you'll have to kill the bosses to get into the final area legitmately; I'm not using the statue room, but I've still got it set up to know if you've cleared boss rooms, and if you haven't, the "security system" will "still be active," so to speak. There is, however, a very, very well-hidden secret passage to get there without doing so...
Hated by all
Heh, a Silver Ridley would be awesome. A fight in the clouds, stormy, rain coming down, thunder flashes. I was watching a video on Limit [now deleted] on how there was a Silver Botwoon at the end escape. I wonder.
-Would some of your bosses be Metroid Prime-esque or something?
-Tell me you're scrapping the sequence of the entire planet exploding, just the final area (take an airship crashing cutscene, but I can dream about coding something like that)?
-What kind of music would you plug, given Jathys' next version of SMILE would feature a music injector?
-What would be the name of the planet? And can you scrap Ceres Station?
-Given the originality of this version, do you expect to have as much great reception as Redesign?
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Heh, a Silver Ridley would be awesome. A fight in the clouds, stormy, rain coming down, thunder flashes. I was watching a video on Limit [now deleted] on how there was a Silver Botwoon at the end escape. I wonder.
-Would some of your bosses be Metroid Prime-esque or something?
-Tell me you're scrapping the sequence of the entire planet exploding, just the final area (take an airship crashing cutscene, but I can dream about coding something like that)?
-What kind of music would you plug, given Jathys' next version of SMILE would feature a music injector?
-What would be the name of the planet? And can you scrap Ceres Station?
-Given the originality of this version, do you expect to have as much great reception as Redesign?

-If I use Ridley it will be an "Ice Ridley". Prime-esque... mmm, there's a boss that's a morph ball fight, for what that's worth. I can't program in new ones so my options are limited.
-I haven't decided on whether or not I'll use an escape sequence. I may have to since I want the game to go to credits, though.
-I'd use music that has a Prime-ish feel to it. If it actually happens, it'd probably be music I make myself.
-I've got a basic story for it. Nothing fancy, though. The planet's name is Corith, and Ceres is scrapped in this mod.
-I would love for it to be so well received. Actually, the thing I most hope to see is a speedrun or TAS of the mod.
Hated by all
Quote from Acheron86:
-If I use Ridley it will be an "Ice Ridley".

What kind of area would you put him in?
-An icebox?
-A cloudy area, when you go in, there's dark clouds, and when Ridley comes from the dark, the background sky is all stormy, rainy, and flashes thunder?

-I haven't decided on whether or not I'll use an escape sequence. I may have to since I want the game to go to credits, though.
-What kind of visual sequence [given that there would be explosions] would you want to put in when you get out (besides the planet blowing up, given like the GFS Aegis crashes or a burst of light spreading that purges the evil of the planet)? And how long would you set the timer for escaping at?
-I would want to consider a nuclear explosion on the list, but that would take from Zero Mission and maybe not be a suited ending, given the nice scenery you put into this.
(user is banned)
The more I read, the more I want to play this!
Almost happy
Quote from Acheron86:
-I would love for it to be so well received. Actually, the thing I most hope to see is a speedrun or TAS of the mod.

We'll see about that :P