1 page
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Shadow34370: 2009-03-28 08:30:45 am
Well I was playing around yesterday with no intention of actually creating a complete hack, but I think it ended up being like a "One room hack", but with a few more rooms.  Very Happy It is not polished, it has not been tested a million times, and it is a project that took me 3-4 hours? So don't expect perfection, but it should give you about 10-20 minutes of fun! There are a few bugs with the sky-scrolling that I didn't bother to fix, and I am sure there are some graphical errors, but otherwise the game should run fine.

Difficulty: If you can beat the original Super Metroid you should be fine. (Maybe just a little tougher)

Skills Needed for completion: Wall jumping, a little bit of space jump skill(?), and using bombs to propel yourself sideways.

Skills needed for 100%: Same as above, mid-air ball morphing.

Optional Skills that can be used: Mockball

Hidden Passage/Item Difficultly: (How hard the Paths/items are hidden. 1 out of 10, 10 being hardest) 7

Here is what 100% will look like:

EDIT: Gah, I forgot to mention two things.

1. Missiles, Super Missiles, and X-RAY Scope are included to get 100%.
2. Make sure to save state before collecting Suits. I have never gotten permastuck, but there has been a few times I have gotten close.

Here is the video. I recommend only watching it after you have played the hack at least once. That way you don't ruin all the fun.

*NOTE* Patch is for a UNheadered ROM.
Thread title: 
attachment:
Destroyer of Pirates
hee hee, another hack to distract me from work, well, might as well make a video  Very Happy
That was kinda fun, wish it had been bigger though.  I found everything except spring ball and varia, it looks like you get stuck when you reach the end if you don't have enough energy left to shine.  I think I may have sequence breaked by reverse gating and using bombs to climb over a spring ball puzzle. 
Go ahead. Stare.
Varia Suit was in a really well hidden area... and a lot of your stuff was hard to find, which is great for a little hack like this. And the Hi-Jump pickup looking like Space Jump was really mean. In a good way.
Fear Me! (Or else...)
This really does look interesting. I liked a lot of the work you did in this. One thing you could have done just to add a little more originality is changing the palettes; also, you could have made another room on that for whenever you get the gravity suit, just for something to do afterwards. Just a suggestion Wink.
Originally I did have another room filled with water, but it was very glitchy. The water in the room kept disappearing and reappearing. If you want to look at it I think it is D1DD in the ROM. I gave up on it though shortly after I started. I have no idea what was up with the water in that room, but it scared me enough to stop messing with it. (Also if you look at the landing site the two doors in the top left corners are the doors that connected to D1DD, so there already set up it you want to use them.)
As for changing the palettes I though about doing that, and changing the suits, but I didn't feel like spending more time on the hack. I was being lazy I know, but I just wanted to get it done.  grin new
OK, I have encountered a really strange bug.  I got totally stuck and figured I must be missing something, so I watched the first part of the video.  In my game, the speedbooster is not there.  The stand that holds the item is just empty.  I am using SZNES 1.51 and an unheadered ROM.

Any reason you can think of this would happen?  Any way to fix it?
OMG FLAN!!!!!!!
Ahhh I know that one. The water dissapears and reappears because you had a "wave" effect on (cant think of the word right now, makes the water go up and down), but the start of the water was at the top of the room. Thus, whenever the water would go up above the top of the room, it reappears at the bottom (much in the same way samus doesn when going up through a non scrolling block, she appears at the bottom). Since the top of the water is at the bottom for that short time, it appears as if the water is dissapearing altogether. Easily fixed by taking off the "wave" effect, or making the level of the water a bit below the top of the room.

*EDIT FOR DD*
If Shadow accidently made some items with the same low index, picking up one would register the other one being picked up as well, so it isn't there. If they're in the same room, then Shadow wouldn't have noticed because the game requires a room transition before the other pickup disappears. So you would have picked up the first item (with same index as SB) and then changed room, which ade SB disappear. If you hadn't changed room, SB would still be there. Of course I haven't played it yet, and I don't know how the rooms are set out. So I could be wrong.
Edit history:
Shadow34370: 2009-03-27 09:02:29 pm
Quote from Sadiztik Fish:
If Shadow accidently made some items with the same low index, picking up one would register the other one being picked up as well, so it isn't there. If they're in the same room, then Shadow wouldn't have noticed because the game requires a room transition before the other pickup disappears.

Gah, nice catch. That is why you should always document your PLM indexes and not just "wing it". I went ahead and updated the patch now, and changed the final room so you can't shinespark up there right after you get speed booster. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Quote from Sadiztik Fish:
Ahhh I know that one. The water dissapears and reappears because you had a "wave" effect on (cant think of the word right now, makes the water go up and down), but the start of the water was at the top of the room. Thus, whenever the water would go up above the top of the room, it reappears at the bottom (much in the same way samus doesn when going up through a non scrolling block, she appears at the bottom). Since the top of the water is at the bottom for that short time, it appears as if the water is dissapearing altogether. Easily fixed by taking off the "wave" effect, or making the level of the water a bit below the top of the room.

Yep, that was the problem. I never would have though of that. I didn't even realize the wave effect was on! I would re-implement that area into my hack, but I don't feel like it.  aiwebs_017
Mistic Eyes Of Death Perception! Chibi Style!
If you spinjump here you go through the wall. You can colect powerbombs straight after getting the morphball by doing this!
There is no solid block behind it so if you hit it right you go straight through.

attachment:
Edit history:
Shadow34370: 2009-03-28 08:34:01 am
Quote from Obsy:
If you spinjump here you go through the wall. You can colect powerbombs straight after getting the morphball by doing this!
There is no solid block behind it so if you hit it right you go straight through.

Fixed. Maybe next time I should have a few people beta test for me, before I release.  aiwebs_022

EDIT: Also fixed the problems uNsane mentioned.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Ironically enough, I just found a couple other things.

LOL
I might make my third "one room hack" with "many rooms", now that have a few ideas.  Very Happy
The gravity suit doesn't exist in my game.  I don't know if its because I got something out of order or what.  I did get spring ball before space jump by doing a midair morph.  This also gave me the spring ball for the wave beam room, which makes that room much easier.

Another big glitch:  there is no floor underneath the varia suit square.  If you go down into that square after getting the suit, you fall a long long ways.

Another annoyance is that if you go into the heated room before you get power bombs then there is absolutely no way of getting past the speed booster blocks in the previous room.  I think you should add a morph ball tunnel with a crumble block to the speed booster room to keep people from getting stuck.

Overall it was fun to play this.  Good job!
Okay, how about this... Since this hack was definitely unpolished, and sort of rushed. Also, since Desolation is crawling along at a pretty slow pace, and since I am doubt I am to make my spring dead line...  aiwebs_008. How about a new hack that is more polished, and complete. A new Compact Hack as I think I will start to call these one room, but with multiple rooms hacks.  I would create a new thread, but seeing that I have no proof of its existence I can't....yet. I will say this however:

1. This will be completed based on my schedule, I don't plan on spending a plethora of time on it since I am still working on Desolation, but it will be a hack that is tested and completed.

2. It will contain a total of 6 rooms. One room using CRE, and one for each of the existing Super Metroid Areas. (Crateria, Norfair, Brinstar, Maridia, Wrecked Ship.) I am not including Tourian, because it is similar to CRE tiles, and Ceres station, because lack of tiles.

3. I am think of three levels of difficulty. Easy (Simple, no enemies.), Medium ( Same as Simple, but with enemies), and Hard (Harder level design, with enemies.)

4. New Suits, and palette changes will most likely be included.

5. As I get farther in this hack I may post a discussion topic to show my progress.
As long as Desolation still has a Spring release, I am happy.