12 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Sigfriedxx: 2009-03-08 10:19:34 pm
I am unsure how many of you play the series, but the latest Mega Man 9 has a mode in it called Endless attack.  The way it works is there is a series of screens with challenges. enemies and pits to avoid.  but when you reach the end of that area you are teleported to a RANDOM next location.  With new challenges.  the goal is to travel as many screens as possible before running out of energy and dying.  otherwise, the game goes on forever.

I want to make such a hack.  Not sure if it will ever get done.  but I have the sudden desire to make it happen!

If anyone here has ASM knowledge and is willing to help out on the few features I need, then please let me know!

Below is my wish list.  if you think you can make it or any of the numbered tasks happen, please PM me!

*EDIT*

So far Insom has completed task #1:

Thanks again to InsomniaDMX

1:  Done

2:  Done

3:  Done

4:  Done

5:  For gameplay reasons samus will start with every item in her inventory (minus reserve tanks or any energy tanks)  Morphball and bombs will ALWAYS be equipped.  However ALL the remaining items can ONLY be equipped one at a time.  Ex:  samus has varia suit, but needs to use highjump. pressing start takes her right to her inventory, she selects high jump, Varia is De-equipped.  Also  New Hud

6:  Done

7:  Done

8:  Done
Thread title: 
I am a huge MegaMan fan and I have MM9 on my lappy.....
As long as it is actually fun, I wouldn't mind.....but trying to do something like that may be a little trivial. If you are able to keep this hack relatively loyal to the Metroid series, then you should have no problems laugh new. You could make some very interesting puzzles with the 1-equipment-at-a-time part.
So far, task 1 is completed.  in-game screen shot:

Thanks Insom!
hah, I recognize that place where you're standing.
It's looking cool, and promising.
I'd like to see more of what you do with this in the future ;)
This is a very interesting idea you've got here Drew.  I hope you're able to pull it off.
What would be neat is if you don't plan on using Missiles, Powerbombs, etc.  you could just  make a selector for every item in your inventory with their graphical symbol up top. Then you could just cycle through with the Select button to the one you want equipped.  Keep you from pausing, going to the status screen, and changing items over and over and over again.
Good idea!  I'll look into it and take care of it at some point hopefully.  I know insom has done something similar at one point.  so maybe!

anyways I uploaded a demo video of Insom showing off the first code!
That's pretty awesome seeing it in motion.  I wish I had the ASM knowledge to help out but sadly, I don't. :(  Oh well, getting to watch the development is good too. :)

This is a demo of how one door, in a sitting will throw out random destinations
This is looking very promising so far! A hack based off of another hack. I think we're entering a new era of metroid hacking.

Anyways, it looks as if you won't be using missiles and the like? Is this to keep players from opening the doors they came through, so they have to go in one direction? Which reminds me, one exit door, or multiple?
(user is banned)
Breathe in the Future, Breathe out the Past
Alright first off, holy fuck Drewseph's BACK!

The idea behind this is pure genius, it's perfect for the hardcore SM hack player.
Given the amount of randomness this will have, I see intense re-playability.

grin new
This...is...AWESOME

I will play this so often if this gets released.
Edit history:
Sigfriedxx: 2009-03-02 09:04:02 am
I should make a note that the hack will not involve anything SMR related in level design. 
I love these sort of survival type things. It's the game mode you can play for hours on end to see how long you can last.
Keep it up. ;D
OMG FLAN!!!!!!!
Oh wow! Does that door work completely randomly or does it randomly choose a room from a list of possible exits?

TBH I was wondering how if you could code something like SMR, how you couldn't do this? Then I realised you had help with SMR and it took you 2 years lol.

Ahh Polo beat me. Hmmm we should have competitions to see who lasts the longest! Just let me get my sleeping bag.
It looks as though the door will pick a room based on the frame that you enter the door. So at the most only 60 possible next rooms are available? Or am I missing something else that would explain this?
See that screen counter? I'm gonna break it. 1 mil baby!
Almost happy
Quote from Cardweaver:
So at the most only 60 possible next rooms are available? Or am I missing something else that would explain this?

I am guessing that the destination is chosen by the games random number generator, which increases every frame (and possibly by some other actions as well). So it wouldn't necessarily be restricted to 60 different destinations.
Super Secret Area - Dead Ahead!
Would it be possible to reset your acquired items list whenever you entered a door, so that you could acquire an item in a room, negotiate the room, and then be back to (essentially) nothing anyway?  Might add more possibilities for the rooms...
You will have the ability to equip one suit item (suit, boots) and one beam.  Morphball, Bombs, and wall jump will always be equipped.  So when you enter a room you'll be able to equip whats needed.

Naturally save states and frame precision will break the game play of this hack.  so it will be most enjoyed by, well, NOT cheating, but I understand I can't exactly stop that from happening.
Go ahead. Stare.
This looks amazing so far! I'm glad to see most hacks now are using more ASM to open up new options and take SM hacks to a higher level than just re-doing the game.

Personally, I don't feel a need to savestate on a hack like this. I prefer a challenge hack to be challenging...
Quote from Sigfriedxx:
wall jump will always be equipped.

Haha, only your hack made wall-jump an item, every other has it by default. Wink
well I am using SMR's engine, so technically it isn't always equipped ^_^

but yeah every other game it is
Quote from Sigfriedxx:
Naturally save states and frame precision will break the game play of this hack.  so it will be most enjoyed by, well, NOT cheating, but I understand I can't exactly stop that from happening.

Well, savestate-wise, It would be ok to make a save if you are taking a break, then load when youi want to continue where you left off. Of course loading that state more than once would be cheating.
--Lawrence of Arrakis--
Quote from Cpadolf:
I am guessing that the destination is chosen by the games random number generator...

Precisely!

I'm having a lot of fun doing this, and I assure you, Drew and all of us working on it are making SURE to give you something fun.