vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
GF_Kennon: 2009-12-06 12:16:12 pm
GF_Kennon: 2009-08-21 12:02:41 am
Destroyer of Pirates
well i have finally decided to create a thread for my super metroid hack, which is called "Return to SR:388" so here go's

in this hack samus has defeated the space pirates on Zebes for the second time and now samus has been trying to track the space pirates down for some time, 3 months after her last mission she found the pirates building a base on SR:388 and decides to return to SR:388 to destroy the pirates, but the pirates have been outfitted with new armor and new weapons, and are not about to allow samus to wipe them of the planet again, by deploying squads of pirates to the Chozo ruins located throughout the planet, the pirates will try to hinder samus through her mission but the Chozo ruins and the planet in general hold more secrets than the pirates could ever imagine, some that should not be discovered. the ship that the GFed arrived on the planet is still there, but over time the ship has been damaged, some of the ship is now unaccessible.

in this hack i am trying to create a completely new game by redoing all the graphics to bear no resemblance to the original super metroid (par some things)

i have provided the playlist below.

i know there are no backgrounds, im working on them right now.

im not sure what else to say, any questions?
Thread title: 
Super Secret Area - Dead Ahead!
Firstly, about the videos themselves: you might be better to just have one teaser video with some small snippets from the various sections.  You can then just post a link to your youtube page, and save a lot of space here.  If you're not into video editing that much, Windows Movie Maker is more than adequate for this.

Regarding the content: I think you need to be careful with the terrain that you are building.  If you're creating an area that has been built, such as ruins or buildings, then angles are acceptable in the architecture, but when you're creating a landscape, such as that around your ship, you should try to avoid angles in the large majority of cases, as it looks very unnatural.  I'm fairly certain that the graphics that you've ripped from MF or MZM should also have slopes, and you should try to use these on any 'natural' formations.  The most obvious example of this is the first, small tunnel that you run through after the first door.  It's made of rock, but appears to be completely flat.  You don't need to do very much with it at all; simply break up the straightness of the room.

Also, regarding tiles surrounding the rooms: It often looks odd for a room to just start and end around a door, as this again looks unnatural.  You could consider continuing the tiles across and around the screen, or perhaps just adding some detail tiles further out from the room, so that it looks like it belongs somewhere.  Using the small tunnel as an example again, taking the two rows of tiles past the doors, and ending in another manner than just ending would look better, and adding some other tiles around them to give the room a sense of place would probably look much better.  You can see what I mean in the attached screenshot.  There are tiles around those that 'edge' the room, rather than just emptiness.

Enough waffle for now.  Thanks for reading! Razz

attachment:
Edit history:
GF_Kennon: 2009-01-09 08:47:55 am
Destroyer of Pirates
l will put the playlist up instead ok, yeh you have a point about the unnaturalness of the landscape dont worry thats being fixed, thanks for commenting. and dont worry i dont mind reading long posts (they have more info in them) so its all good

also as for the black squares, i realy dont have much choice in that matter as there is nothing to replace it unfortunately.
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Rows of 1x1 respawning bomb blocks make Acheron sad.

I'd say you've got potential. Everyone starts somewhere. If I were you, I'd play some hacks like Cliffhanger, Redesign, or Golden Dawn (is BT around any more?) and see how those guys did things. Don't copy, but observe and develop your own style; try to make the game feel natural, and don't put in gameplay gimmicks just to fill up space (like that room that you have to bomb six blocks. is that really fun to do?).
Destroyer of Pirates
yeh i know about how everything is currently not that natural but im working on that. i am trying to keep with what it looked like in metroid 2

also about the bomb blocks, ermmmmm? pwuh what bomb blocks?
It would be nice if you gave the game a bit of exploration for like the ice beam and other things so that it's not just the same ol' Metroid 2 with better graphics and aesthetics.
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Quote from james kennon:
ermmmmm? pwuh what bomb blocks?

At 6:30 in the video.
Destroyer of Pirates
the bit at the beginning is classical to the original but i see 1,2,3,4 brand new areas, not saying there names yet. totaling 6 areas to explore.

acheron.......you do know your watching a very VERY old video............im using custom graphics now............. the video is a playlist....there are 7 in there.
If you're completely re-drawing all of the tiles, why are they all just rips from MZM and MF?

and I really don't suggest trademarking something like a rom hack. I'm pretty sure you don't own super metroid.

The videos look okay, but I suggest making 1 big video to cover multiple small portions of areas.
and why are you linking us videos that are obsolete?
Edit history:
GF_Kennon: 2009-01-09 06:47:14 pm
Destroyer of Pirates
its a playlist the 2 vids at the beginning are just being kept as a bit of a reminder. ok i will remove the TM bit but can i keep my name there? once i get enough done ill put a big video up ok.

did i say redrawing all the tiles?

*looks at first post*

opps sorry bout that i meant replacing them, sorry.

iv changed the playlist

edit:

just puting some pictures up, nothing special.

you may want to save them to you computer first.......there a bit big.

Edit history:
Phazar: 2009-01-09 07:46:39 pm
I would recommend using PNGs, since they are easier to view.  Maybe Crys will show up and post his famous "UsePNG.png".

However, other than that, this hack is looking good.
Edit history:
GF_Kennon: 2009-01-10 05:56:07 pm
Destroyer of Pirates
Quote from Phazar:
I would recommend using PNGs, since they are easier to view.  Maybe Crys will show up and post his famous "UsePNG.png".

However, other than that, this hack is looking good.

ok ill start using PNG's (i thought everybody liked GIF's)

hmmmmmm, still waiting for Crys to show.........

also on a separate note, how thinks i should put the old sky back in. it will be changed slightly to accommodate for the night time thing

edit: iv changed the landing site new picture is below

attachment:
you need to fix a lot of your slopes. Even upside down ones that are part of a wall need the solid green square next to them, jsut make sure you flip the square appropriately.
Destroyer of Pirates
thanks for pointing them out, the one on the ceilings need squares? i did not know that.
OMG FLAN!!!!!!!
I don't put square slopes on the cielings OR walls. I only have square ones on the floor after every triangle slope. I hardly think cieling and wall squares are necessary unless you have the spider ball in the game anyway.

OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

best "new" item idea... spider ball. :D
Quote from Sadiztik Fish:

2D spider ball DRASTICALLY changes the game,  would be very interesting in SM
Those slopes are necessary because if you jump against a downward slope from the ceiling, and the squares aren't there, you'll stop instead of continuing smoothly on.
Destroyer of Pirates
Quote from Opium:
Quote from Sadiztik Fish:

2D spider ball DRASTICALLY changes the game,  would be very interesting in SM

cardweaver knows something about that

attachment:
I don't believe that is atually a Spider Ball, though.  If I remember correctly, it was just a line of blank tiles with upward elevator properties.  It equates to the same thing on a straight ceiling, of course, but you wouldn't be able to go round corners or anything.
Edit history:
GF_Kennon: 2009-01-12 06:15:41 pm
Destroyer of Pirates
i guess you have a point. oh well....

edit: another pic

attachments:
Destroyer of Pirates
ok just having a small update with my hack, i think im going to show the map to everyone.

feed back is very helpful for this part, i would like to know what everyone thinks about the map.

attachment:
Not bad at all. Very Happy

Comment: I would suggest trying to avoid what is referred to as RCR syndrome (in numerous games where player created content is available).  That's Room-Corridor-Room, meaning that you link one room to another via a corridor, then to another room via another corridor.  While sometimes this is acceptable, it's often better to make a small room to link the two, even if it is just a glorified corridor.  This way you end up with a series of rooms linked to one another, rather than actually having a 'corridor', and it provides both better continuity and a better sense of 'place'. Very Happy
Edit history:
GF_Kennon: 2009-01-12 06:51:34 pm
Destroyer of Pirates
i agree with you completely, but i do have to note that SR388 surface (yes thats the name of crateria) is much like the main deck on fusion, it pretty much connects everything up together

why has no one complained about the awesome stupidly long shaft.

it drop's you into the nice and warm SEARING DEPTHS OF THE CORE Twisted Evil
Lookin' good, James. keep up the good work.

I'm expecting that that map is going to be getting bigger, or..?
Edit history:
GF_Kennon: 2009-03-06 08:50:21 am
Destroyer of Pirates
Quote from Bloodsonic:
I'm expecting that that map is going to be getting bigger, or..?

or what  Evil or Very Mad

XD im only joking, yeh it may get a bit more expanded, but the main part of the game takes place elsewhere........

also ignore the core comments im VERY SERIOUS only messing.