1 page
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Embarrasing Fact: Power suit made by lowest bidder
It's about time. :)

It's fairly convulated. The idea is to super jump into an elevator door. In order to do that you have to get below an elevator first. Which means out of room travel. However, to get below a room, you generally have to enter a horizontal door leading to that room... while it is either near the ceiling or near the floor.

Also, some of you may remember the blue suit in Limit that did the same thing... but sometimes wouldn't work. I did some debugging and it turns out it depends on the previous elevator you took - if you last took an elevator moving down (or haven't taken an elevator at all) it will work. If you last took an elevator moving up, it won't. I don't know why the code only manually sets Samus's pose if the elevator is moving down, ask Nintendo that.

Regardless, to do this you need the speed booster and x-ray scope. A good number of energy tanks, plus a reserve tank or a crystal flash, can also make it easier.

First off, go down an elevator from Crateria to Brinstar, or load a saved game in Brinstar. Pass through the room that holds the charge beam while you're at it - that clears up as much out-of-room data as possible. Head to the room right of the powerbomb tube. Do NOT open any of the doorcaps in the room. Here you need to get stuck inside of the super missile gate then x-ray scope up the room. There are two options for this: go around in a circle, open the gate from the right, then close it while standing slightly inside of it (don't stand too far inside it or the gate will reopen automatically). Or freeze a nest enemy while it's just past the center of the gate, then run into it - the game will align Samus to the enemy instead of to the gate if you run quick enough.

Either way, from here x-ray scope up through the roof. Once you're high enough to walk left and right, jump up then start running right.

This next part is long and annoying. But you need to travel right around 88 screens. But first just go around 8 screens.

Once you've gone this far you'll fall into the room if you keep continuing right. If you have plenty of energy (499 is enough to clear the worst of it, but keep it below 1200 so you don't overshoot 88 screens) and the ability to recharge for a second super jump (1 extra tank is plenty), charge a super jump and jump right from here. Otherwise you'll have to trek through a bunch of large pits as you travel to the right. Keep in mind these pits are just part of the room you started in. If you can, you might even want to open the gate as you're x-raying up so it's easier to get out of the pits. If you get stuck in an area where you can't see yourself and you can't seem to jump high, see the picture below for help.
If you do super jump, refill your energy ASAP. Being able to hear your footsteps and jumps is very helpful.
Once you're past those large open pits, keep running right and hopping. Samus will occasionally fall a few pixels and so you'll never reach full speed, but make sure you keep jumping so Samus doesn't ever fall too far - if she does she may eventually fall into a pit that's really a bit of a pain to get back out from.
(This paragraph is explanation, nothing here is required to perform the glitch) That last paragraph probably won't make much sense at first. But Samus's collision detection is glitchy when her position is borderline positive and negative as it is while you're running along the roof (specifically, her center is negative while her bottom border is positive). What's happening is Samus is running over a 1-wide hole, and her vertical collision detection detects nothing below her and starts to make her fall. However, her horizontal collision detection is negative and so kind of in a different universe - it doesn't see anything in front of Samus and so lets her continue going forward past the hole. Once she passes it, her vertical collision detection detects the ground again and stops Samus from falling and lets her continue running, even though her bottom border is actually *inside* the ground at that point. If her center falls enough to become positive, her horizontal collision detection will start checking the same blocks as her vertical collision detection and not let her run through the holes anymore, and so you'll fall *into* the next hole.
Anyways. If you *do* happen to fall into the pit, you need to position Samus precisely to be able to jump back out of it. If you x-ray scope to the left and see this (specifically, the width of the x-ray scope at the door - your y-position may differ), you're in the right position. Otherwise move left or right as needed. You also might need to wall jump up through it if you haven't traveled far right yet.

You have to continue traveling right till you're about here. For easy comparison: Scroll the map left as far as you can, so that it loops around *once* and then stops here.

At this point you've traveled about 87 screens. If you jump up, Samus will be visible (if not you're on the wrong screen, move left or right as needed). You need to jump right (as though you were going through the door you can see) then run right till you hit a wall (only about a screen away - don't jump too far). Jump up, tap right, then wait for Samus to land (You need to get on top of a 1x4 wall - actually, a door cap). Then walk right. If you did it right, Samus will enter a door and start falling. Below the elevator.

The ground here is actually 2 screens below the elevator, and 3 screens wide of space. Run to the right a bit, then run back left, charge, and super jump into the elevator. You're done.

Half the text explaining the concept and procedures, half the text to help get past the rooms without getting stuck. <_< But anyways, my goal of blue-suit obtainable at relatively any point of the game is finally done - my life's goals are finally achieved. :P
Thread title: 
Almost happy
Wow, you are amazing in so many ways :p
Armor Guardian
Now all we need to do is find a use for this in a speedrun.
Super Secret Area - Dead Ahead!
Great find!  The Secret Worlds just don't have the same visual splendour as Prime, do they? Wink
Edit history:
P.JMan: 2008-11-26 05:37:28 pm
I like Big Butts and I can not lie
Made an smv for you guys, it's actually pretty simple. With full health, and sparking from where I sparked from, I only overshot the door by a few blocks, I had to jump left back over the door and run into it from rightwards; you hit the door when your horizontal position is around 0x58F0, make sure you're moving rightwards when you hit the door otherwise you appear above the screen for whatever reason

EDIT: also see, [noembed][url= video[/url][/noembed]
attachment:
Grrr, video unavailable! Evil or Very Mad
One shall stand, one shall ball.
Works now, it was probably still processing when you clicked it.
Awesome stuff man! Thank you for yet again contributing something completely unexpeted and new, Kej.

This trick visually screws up every door and elevator location as far as I noticed, but that can be circumvented by just saving and reloading the game through the save stations once the job of the blue suit is done.

Quote from RT-55J:
Now all we need to do is find a use for this in a speedrun.

There is one. You can now get the Snail Missiles and Supers in a NBMB run, which yet again increases the % number by 2 there (though I don't know which was the max possible so far - probably over 80% by now). Also a useful one for a RBO to get a additional Super Missile pack for Ridley to ease the fight alot if playing unassisted.

And thank you for the smv, PJMan, very useful for those who get troubles to perform it by themself.
Embarrasing Fact: Power suit made by lowest bidder
Quote from Saturn:
This trick visually screws up every door and elevator location as far as I noticed, but that can be circumvented by just saving and reloading the game through the save stations once the job of the blue suit is done.

whoops, I forgot to mention that.
If you managed to pull this off with an elevator going up instead of an elevator going down, you wouldn't get that block messup. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like it's possible to do this at any elevators going up. This was the easiest method I found - the only other one I found that worked was to load the game in Crateria and do it with the elevator on the far left. You don't have to travel as far right (only 24 screens), but getting outside of the room is harder, there's a *lot* of junk in the way you have to avoid when you're trying to reach the door or you'll crash the game/get stuck in a wall, and you'll also only have one screen of space to charge a shinespark in the elevator room.
BTW, the video works for me now.  And now I know what Kejardon meant last night during the hack class when he mentioned the Blue Suit, which I thought was only possible by Draygon.  And you can do this on the console, right?
Eschews avatars
Wow, that is some pretty accomplished glitchseeking. Props to you, Kej. It's also good to know there's some kind of rhyme and reason to the Limit glitch...
Devonodev: Other D
kej has done it again.  Very Happy
just when you thought every inch of super metroid had been covered, something new pops up!

I think that the main m2k2 site should be updated soon with all the new glitches.
Bangaa Bishop
I'm not sure how you even came to the realm of possibly figuring something like this out, but you're a genius. :p

What exactly does blue suit do, anyway? (sorry, it's been a long time.)
It's like a permanent shinespark charge, which only disappears in certain circumstances, allowing you to navigate through a number of rooms before actually utilising the shinespark.  It's usually used to shinespark over the huge room just outside Draygon's lair, after obtaining it from killing him with a shinespark.
What?!
Wait. Why'd i waste my blue suit only to leave Draygoon's room after the effort of getting it?
Even though it needs to be watched so it does not get wasted, i prefer to mantain it to instakill enemies on the way.
Because the time you'd save by sparking over that large room I mentioned is greater than the time you'd save using it to kill the enemies, and this site is primarily aimed at speed running. grin new