page  12345678910 -> 1 ... 10 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Poll:
Poll (hidden)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
. (5)
. (12)
. . .
UPDATE - 3/29/09

http://forum.metroid2002.com/index.php/topic,7731.msg251161.html#msg251161
-----------------------------------
FANFICTION
Prolouge -  http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4674156/1/Super_Metroid_World_Rainbow_City
Chapter 1 - http://www.fanfiction.net/s/4674156/2/Super_Metroid_World_Rainbow_City
-----------------------------------
PROGRESS - 3/29/09
GFX work - Outside, and Inside done.  Only Boss rooms and a few "extra" GFX needed.
Enemies - Almost all the enemies I'll be using have been added in.  Except the bosses.
Music - ??? I don't know if I'll be able to do it, but I'll sure try!  If I can get it, it would really enhance the game!
Rooms - Plumber Hills: 34/34
        - Mushroom Woods: 2/??
        - Dark Depths: 0/??
        - Floating Isle: 0/??
        - Bowser's Castle 0/??
        - Total Rooms Completed: 36/???
    I'm planning on ~250 room count.  About 50 rooms per area.
----------------------------------------
CURRENT DOINGS - 3/29/09
-Done with Plumber Hills and starting on Mushroom Woods...
Thread title: 
Yo.
I seriously facepalmed at the 1-1 remake. That is so unoriginal. Fullhack it.

Also, the design you've got in that "Fullhack.jpg" just doesn't fit with Mario tiles. Dinosaur Land didn't have tons of curves in the ground, and there was a lesser ratio of strange slopes and land formations. Makes me want to puke thinking about seeing something like this in an SMW hack. Other than that, good ideas abound!
I'd definitely want to see a full hack. Every SM hack that I've played so far takes a serious tone and sticks pretty closely to the original's style. Many even preserve the basic Crateria > Brinstar > Norfair > Wrecked Ship > Maridia > Norfair > Tourian flow. It'd be great to see something off the wall and different.
A SMB1 remake could be a funny little novelty, but not much more than that. Makes me wonder though, does the original SMB have levels that are more than 15 screens? Pretty sure SM can't make a room longer than 15 screens. Chopping the levels up into pieces would break the flow.
Almost happy
Oh god yes I'd really like to play a SMB remake, should be awesome enough :D
Green-Kirby, ROAR!
Quote from squishy_ichigo:
ALSO!  I will be releasing my GFX on this topic, so if anyone else wants to use them go ahead!  Just give credit;)

I just lost all my respect for you.
Your asking for credit for some thing you did not draw.
* Crys shakes head in shame

That being said. I still support a full hack using the GFX from SMW.
Edit history:
Acheron: 2008-10-31 03:53:01 pm
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Quote from Zhs2:
That is so unoriginal
Dinosaur Land didn't have

"That's so unoriginal"
"Make it more like the original"

Rolling Eyes

Anyway I disagree with Zhs2 heartily. I like what I see. Keep it comin'.

Quote from Crys:
ALSO!  I will be releasing my GFX on this topic, so if anyone else wants to use them go ahead!  Just give credit;)

Dude, relax, he's not asking to be credited for making the tilesets, he's just asking credit for ripping and adding them to Super Metroid, which is perfectly fine. He did do the work.
Yo.
Quote from Acheron86:
"That's so unoriginal"

The impression I was going for with the SMB remake is that several remakes have already been done on the subject. Sometimes, you gotta tell people to leave the classics alone and be creative for themselves. I wouldn't like to see a remake of SMB1, but a hack full of SMB1 type rooms would be cool. You just can't remake the whole thing, that'd seriously bore some of us who know what's coming cuz' they've memorized the levels. (Sorry, speaking from experience here...)

Quote from Acheron86:
"Make it more like the original"

Seriously, the Zebes Surface design combined with Dinosaur Land tilesets is scaring me. I'm weirded out by the giant hanging ledges and tiny holes in the ground. I hope you know my paragraphs were on separate subjects... :-s :|

Also...
Quote from Acheron86:
he's just asking credit for ripping and adding them to SMW
. . .
Quote from Crys:
* Crys shakes head in shame

I'm sorry if you thought I was taking credit for DRAWING the tiles.  I thought it was pretty obvious what I was saying.  So there is no confusing, I was simply saying to give credit because it took so long ripping them, although I must thank you for that allgfx.bin you gave me;)  Saved alot of time!

edit: Am I the only person that would LOVE to see Cpadolf TAS a remake of SMB?
Go ahead. Stare.
I say make a full hack out of it. You can do some extreme stuff with SMW tiles!
[BANNED]
I agree there's already a ton of Mario hacks out there (what I've seen are in .smc format on a website or two.  Mr. Google will tell where) but as of right now, there aren't any Super Metroid hacks with Mario graphics out there as of yet.  Whatever you do, please keep this project alive.  I want to play as Samus in the lands of Mario.  And as I've mentioned before, Samus vs. Bowser anywhere in the game would be great.  If you hack Kraid to look like Bowser and such, then this would probably be the first Kraid battle I've ever actually looked forward to.  I have a ton of respect for anyone who can change Super Metroid's graphics and use other games graphics in place of them.  The coolness factor is way up there....  8-)  8-)

Keep it up!!  grin new

P.S.  I also need to see Cpadolf TAS this hack sometime after it's released, would look great on the PSP methinks....  grin new 8-)
1st pic: meh. been there, done that.
2nd pic: MOAR! That kind of, like, takes super mario world, and makes it awesome. :-D

are you changing enemy graphics?
. . .
Quote from Bloodsonic:

I wasn't planning on it... but I might just try tinkering with it. 
The animations is whats troubling me though.  Some complex enemies might be harder to do, and unless I can edit all the enemies I would be using, I probably woun't do it.
The thought of a super mario world SM hack makes me think of brutal mario. any one else play that SMW hack? I't's eeeeeeevil...

Quote from Bloodsonic:

I wasn't planning on it... but I might just try tinkering with it. 
The animations is whats troubling me though.  Some complex enemies might be harder to do, and unless I can edit all the enemies I would be using, I probably woun't do it.
well at least try to give us some goombas  :P
I don't think there is one I'd rather see over the other.  If you end up remaking mario from this I hope you do it tastefully while finding ways to make it challenging (I'd hate to see enemies in the same place, secrets in the same place, repetitive metroid enemies).  If this becomes a fullhack, then I guess I'd just like to see mario sprites.  I don't think you need to reserve yourself to a specific style just because you're using this tileset. 
Edit history:
playerman1230: 2008-10-31 07:40:46 pm
Hated by all
If this turns out to be a full hack, here's what I suggest for each area:

Crateria- The Donut Plains/Yoshi's Island tilesets.
Brinstar- Forest of Illusion, I don't know what else.
Maridia- There's a varied amount of water courses (ex Star World 2). Take your pick.
Wrecked Ship- The Ghost Ship tileset.
Norfair- Those lava caves ftw. Change the palette from gray to red to suit heat.
Tourian- Castle tileset. Need I say more?

I would like to see you make some SMW/SMB3 items in place of powerups. Like frog suit=Gravity. Oh, and while you're at it, I would like to see new door designs to fit this hack (unless some have a problem with it).
Fear Me! (Or else...)
Lol, good point. We know Kraid will be (hopefully!) Bowser, so what will the other bosses be? I can't think of anything at the moment. Maybe Big Boo for Ridley or Spore Spawn (he's round, so that'd fit)? Oo, Wigler for Botwoon! lol. What should the Metroids and Mochtroids be? Goombas? That flying guy that throws hammers?
Devonodev: Other D
Two of my favourite games put together! :-D
I like the tile set.  I voted for a full hack because there is alot you could do with it.
You should create an enemy that dies when you jump on it. lol
You guys do realize how hard it would be to change the boss sprites?  They have tons of frames and are large.  He'd have to work REALLY hard to change boss graphics.
Yo.
But it's possible. You never know till you try! Go for it, squishy! Wink
Fear Me! (Or else...)
Also, he's already said he'll do Kraid as Bowser. I'm just suggesting he takes it a little farther and do some other bosses and enemies, too.
Quote from FirePhoenix0:
You guys do realize how hard it would be to change the boss sprites?  They have tons of frames and are large.  He'd have to work REALLY hard to change boss graphics.
But changing them would very much add to the aesthetics to the game  grin new
Quote from playerman1230:
I would like to see you make some SMW/SMB3 items in place of powerups. Like frog suit=Gravity. Oh, and while you're at it, I would like to see new door designs to fit this hack (unless some have a problem with it).
No door's unless their red/green/yellow/black! I'm kind of tired of doors, and only plan on adding them where a colored doors or events will be in my hack. maybe a few elsewhere.

maybe you should only add items that can relate to mario games.
eg. Space jump= cape
plasma=fireballs
screw attack= starman?
stuff like that? Wink
. . .
Well, so far, the full hack is looking popular, so I've already started drawing up maps;)

Areas: Bowser's Castle
        Plumber's Hill
        Mushroom Woods
        Dark Depths
        Floating Isle

If the full hack wins out, I'll be starting right away.  My goal for it would be to make an exploration hack, with lots of suprises!
Green slope blocks are going to be plenty full in either game;)

BUT... an idea for the remake of Super Mario Bros., would be to hold a pretty snazzy speedrunning competion after its done, TAS and non-TAS, and record them using SNES9x.

--------------
BOSSES/ENEMIES: I still need to test editing them, but I will try like HELL to make Kraid into Bowser.  If thats the only enemy I change then so be it.
ITEMS: I'm undecided on using SMW powerups in place of SM items.  Unless we can replace all the items I probably will not be doing that.  (although I liked the frog suit idea, lol)
DOORS: No doors.  Everything is open ended.  If there needs to be a blockade, then we'll be seeing blocks.

EDIT: First test on enemies pic!  Rippers = Bullet Bills!  Wow-wee!

attachment:
Awesome! are they the red fast ones, or the brown ones?

zoomers= goombas plx!
. . .
Quote from Bloodsonic:
Awesome! are they the red fast ones, or the brown ones?

zoomers= goombas plx!

The regular ones.  But goombas will be alittle harder to do because the zoomers animation just flips the tiles for the zoomer for walking, and goombas look sideways in SMW.  If I put in the SMW version of goombas, they will move weird, so I'll have to do some custom work for Goombas...

BUT heres another PIC!  Its one of those green platform monsters, but as a moving tile!  Woot-ness!
This is fun!

attachment:
Edit history:
Cpadolf: 2008-11-01 01:16:12 pm
Almost happy
Wow I'm really loving this :D

Also if anything zoomers should be the porcupines (red spiked enemies), it makes more sense since both have spikes and can walk on walls/upside down. And I still like the idea of a SMB remake (at least a few levels), if only for the speedrunning aspect of it, but it seems a full hack is much more wanted.

EDIT: Oh, and I don't know how hard it would be or if it would even look good, but a red helmet/arms/shoes and blue body for samus suite would perhaps be fitting.