List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
(user is banned)
Edit history:
DMantra: 2008-12-06 06:41:28 am
Breathe in the Future, Breathe out the Past

Information:

This is a large mini hack. It is also a full hack in that it is in no way similar to planet Zebes.
After Cliffhanger, I wanted to make something completely new for the player.

My goal is to make something far more detailed than Cliffhanger, and with a mini-hack format I can focus more
on individual room themes, having more time to polish concepts, and going over the size limit for desired detail.
Way over the size limit.

Casual players will also be happy to know that the only skill required in this hack will be wall jumping.
There will be no advanced moves to proceed whatsoever, not even for additional items.
I want the primary focus of this hack to be exploration.

Cliffhanger was very linear, this will be a non-linear hack.

E.T.A: Spring

Update:
Rooms completed: 100
Thread title: 
Edit history:
namespoofer: 2008-09-21 08:08:01 pm
Trained by Cpadolf. Mission: To Perfect.
Holy shit..

This is just insane.. Wow.. Speechless..

Quote from DMantra:
Cliffhanger was very linear, this will be a non-linear hack. From the get go, you can whip right to the end
and find yourself at a boss you can't even hope to dent. The goal is to explore as much as you can and
find what you need to take the boss on. Your confidence will land you shorter time and item collection rate.

That is something that will make for a very awesome TAS, a ton of possibilites can be created right off the bat.
Hated by all
This is cool and jawbreaking. Maybe might compete with Aegis and Ice (just depends on the dedication and detail you put into it).

How'dya do the Ceres Station tiles anyway? And if you want, show the story and give an external shot of the station (if your title image doesn't fit what the station looks like from outside)?

Also, try to make a starry sky. Sorry for my suggestions and questions.
Those are very cool. My favorite is the second to last one; the elevator ride.

One complaint though: that crateria palette gradation is kind of ugly...it looks like one of the ones from the "I'm making the best hack ever" thread. I guess it's understandable though, considering it's supposed to be ice or summat.  :o
As an astronomer, I must inform you that Eris is beyond the Kuiper belt while Ceres is in the plain old asteroid belt. They might be distant relatives, but not old sisters >_>

Anyway, I like the mossy green area, but something doesn't quite look right about the snow area. The rocks in the ground don't look right. You have this dark blue and this white close together and it messes with my eyes.
Yo.
gah Fliiiiiiiiiiiiiiick(erbat.) It is amazing what you can do with the tiles Super Metroid already has, DMantra. Just stating the obvious, you know, you know...

At any rate, this'll probably shape up to be as expected as Aegis or Volta with those screenshots. Bravo, I say, bravo!

Darn, I wasn't first.
This look pretty darn cool. Is it harder than cliffhanger or is it easier?
(user is banned)
Quote from namespoofer:
That is something that will make for a very awesome TAS, a ton of possibilites can be created right off the bat.

Indeed. It's been fun and also stressful to make every path accessable without certain items, as well as figuring out what certain items would require. I'll have a good balance figured out eventually.

Quote from playerman1230:
How'dya do the Ceres Station tiles anyway?

You simply switch the unknown4 under room properties to 04, and then rooms connecting to it as 02, and after it can return back to 00. The rooms also have to be in Ceres, but it's fine 'cause you can't access your pause screen in these rooms, and with BT's little map trick, everything looks fine. afaik, you can't use CRE in those rooms. so having items and most plms result in glitches. Just something to work around.

Quote from Bolognab:
One complaint though: that crateria palette gradation is kind of ugly...it looks like one of the ones from the "I'm making the best hack ever" thread. I guess it's understandable though, considering it's supposed to be ice or summat.  :o

Yeah I've heard this complaint a few times now, but I actually like it. So it stays.

Quote from Deep_Space_Observer:
As an astronomer, I must inform you that Eris is beyond the Kuiper belt while Ceres is in the plain old asteroid belt. They might be distant relatives, but not old sisters >_>

I just said sisters because in the Galactic Federation both Eris and Ceres are considered sister stations (in the realm of this hack).

Quote from aigamerDS:
This look pretty darn cool. Is it harder than cliffhanger or is it easier?

To answer your question:
"Casual players will also be happy to know that the only skill required in this hack will be wall jumping.
There will be no advanced moves to proceed whatsoever, not even for additional items.
I want the primary focus of this hack to be exploration."

And thanks for the kind words everyone!
Almost happy
The third to last, and the second to last picture are just plain genius. Looks (and sounds) like this is going to be a great one.
Edit history:
Zhs2: 2008-09-21 09:29:42 pm
Yo.
I just saw something in that very first picture (The title pic, if you will.) Hope I'm not making fun of ancient artworks, but the item in the red square looks suspicious to me...

BTW, if it looks like what it does to you like it does to me, try not to say it out loud. stern
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Fuck me. You are so far and beyond any of us here.
Quote from Zhs2:
BTW, if it looks like what it does to you like it does to me, try not to say it out loud. stern

AHAHAHAHA. I know what you're talking about since you mentioned it...I can't believe you noticed that though.  laugh new

Don't feel bad Ach-ey, we all still want to play aegis.
Quote from Zhs2:

I see what you're seeing, but I don't really think it was meant to be seen as that.

On-topic: I like your use of the Chozo Statue pieces to make a big one.  I'm looking forward to more screenshots, and eventually, the actual thing!
Quote from Zhs2:

ZOMG!  Looks like Dmantra is using subliminal phallic symbol placement to add appeal to his hack.  At first I thought I wanted to play it so bad because it looked amazing.  Now I realize there's more to it.
[BANNED]
Quote from Zhs2:
I just saw something in that very first picture (The title pic, if you will.) Hope I'm not making fun of ancient artworks, but the item in the red square looks suspicious to me...

I am now scarred for life....  If I may make a suggestion, please colorize that title planet/picture.  Or cover her shoulder in the arm cloth.

Anyway, this looks great and it'll be within my skill level.  Thanks in advance!!  :-)  grin new  8-)
I must say this looks very promising... no complaints about the snow area Wink Looks just like it should to me
. . .
Looking good DMantra!

I hoping that your going to change Spore Spawns colors though... green boss in red area, don't look to hot...
Super Secret Area - Dead Ahead!
Great work, DMantra.  I always enjoy the way you manage to use the same restricted one-tile-at-a-time building style, yet manage to make the terrain look random, and therefore more realistic.

Also, the fact that you are aiming this hack at the average player is always a bonus, as I can achieve a greater sense of accomplishment than I do using save-state abuse.  extra_smug
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Agreeing with Quietus here, we know where Spore Spawn's palettes are stored now so you have no excuse.
Maybe, just maybe, he's going for the Christmas look. Sheesh.
Phazon Vasteel Autobot
Nice Graphics :) !

One question, this hack will include "Lore" like Cliffhanger?

And a game focused on Exploration makes it look interesting
(user is banned)
Quote from Cardweaver:
Maybe, just maybe, he's going for the Christmas look. Sheesh.

laugh new Actually it will be changed now that I hear it can be. I tried (the wrong way) and gave up awhile back.

Quote from Sturmvogel Prime:
One question, this hack will include "Lore" like Cliffhanger?

No. Maybe. I don't know. Probably not.
I'll be looking forward to this one!
The game itself looks great, but the pallets and stuff look weird :S
Eschews avatars
Good grief. This is almost unreal in quality. I was impressed at that tree you showed me a while ago, but this almost makes me want to give up on Infer. Any word on the asm changes you're planning?