^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
InsomniaDMX: 2008-08-23 01:51:52 am
--Lawrence of Arrakis--
...or at least I figure that's what I'll be doing.

Today, weapon selection:

I sort of hit a milestone today. I'm more or less done writing a new weapon selection routine. The thing is a damn behemoth as far as size.

The thing takes in such and such numbers and crunches them in such and such a way, then sends them to another part to interpret them, then some exceptions are made like the infinite ammo graphic and a few other technical things.

Just need to set up the input, then weapon selection will be good to go.

A better look at that final version of the HUD:

A better look at the HUD in weapon select mode when the player has four weapons:

To change weapons in this hack, one needs to hold down the weapon selection button (select by default) and press left or right to cycle the weapons in either direction. One press of the buttons shifts the weapons once in that direction. Letting go of the weapon selection button will resume actual gameplay. After letting go of the button, the newly (or the same if you haven't changed it) selected weapon's icon will appear between the materials and temperature displays. Under the icon is the shots remaining display, which is there to give the player a feel for how quickly they're burning through materials. Most weapons will take materials from the left side of the HUD when being used. Say the missiles take 10 units of such and such, and you have 1000 units of that material. The shots remaining counter will end up hacking a digit off of that, giving you how many missiles you can use before emptying your supply of such and such material.

I could put up to 30 weapons up there, but that many will take way too long for the player to cycle through and most of them would probably be redundant anyway. I'm planning on featuring 12 weapons. Six weapons can be displayed at a time. The ones that I will reveal are:

Power Beam
Wave Beam
Grapple Beam
Plasma Cutter
Missiles
Super Missiles

The other half of that 12 are more or less new. I suppose I have to reveal the Plasma Cutter as I've showed the icon for it. The thing is a very powerful and very short range beam originally meant as a utility, though it can be used as a weapon. Imagine cutting holes in thinner walls to make entrances, or to cut away at the armor of a tank.

I want to really balance the game out, and though achieving a very complex balance is something to be done lastly, I am laying down some tracks and I'll finish up with a little tweaking:

For example:
Pros: Anything that tries to walk into the flame that doesn't have a considerably thick layer of flesh or armor will very likely die. Don't forget about the applications the thing was built for; cutting through anything that needs cutting through.

Cons:
The cutter will create immense amounts of heat that will effect Samus and it'll burn up materials somewhat quickly.

Oh yeah, I inserted a two color font into the game. Now, any message boxes or text at the top of the screen will look a bit better. Just need to get the message box palettes fixed up for that.

I'm aiming for DXOII/Redesign quality, but who knows how good this'll actually turn out.

Edit: Thanks to a few fellow #jzd'ers for help:

knuck: Ideas for weapon selection in general, this is my rendition of his suggested Metal Gear Solid style weapon selection system.

itsblah: Ideas for the shots remaining display last night.

MathOnNapkins: A bit of help comprehending things.
Thread title: 
that....looks....amazing.    This doesn't look like just a hack of super metroid but a new game entirely.    If the level design/game layout is large, clever & original then this could be the best hack ever made. 
Edit history:
devonodev: 2008-08-23 02:17:45 am
Devonodev: Other D
this looks sick!!!!!!!!!!!!!! in the good way
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D

the only prob i have is that the power beam icon looks... strange

having the weapon selection as a hack on its own would be awesome!
--Lawrence of Arrakis--
Thanks guys. I might release it publicly, but maybe not until I release my hack itself -- unless someone can tell me what they would do with it. In a PM at least.

...and about the power beam icon, I sort of tried to make a dilation of the power beam's sprite, but it's not too good. If anyone can give me a good mockup, I can make it work.

I might as well link to my old site as well. I just recently lost FTP access to it, so I'm stuck with free hosting, which I can do a lot with actually...

http://users.adelphia.net/~insomniadmx/
With an amazing never-been-done idea  comes a good hack. You should definitely make your own hack to go with this. With your apparent skills, your hack would be awesome!
Break the chains!
Quote from Bolognab:
With an amazing never-been-done idea  comes a good hack. You should definitely make your own hack to go with this. With your apparent skills, your hack would be awesome!

I agree fully. extra_smug
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Bravo, sir.
Edit history:
Gaius_4: 2008-08-23 01:00:20 pm
Please take this constructively.  Wouldn't selecting another beam/weapon stop the action?  Or will you make it to where things can be selected on the fly?

Or, at least a quick combination of buttons to instantly select an item if the screen is momentarily paused?

I've thought of the inventory screen (which I guess this idea is meant to do away with).  After you press start it normally takes you to the map screen.  But what if you pressed pause with some other button to go directly to the inventory.  From there you'd press another button to jump to a specific item catagory; such as suits or beams, etc. then another button to activate or deactivate whichever item.  Then press start again to pop back to the action...

*shrugs*

Anyone is free to use that since I know I'll never make it happen.  Sharing is caring.  :P

It could be possible that ^that same idea (with the combination of button presses) could be used with this.  Instead of it changing over to the inventory screen.

*shrugs again*

edit: erm....  You know what I mean.  Embarassed
Woah. I don't know how I could've missed it, but I didn't notice that the action stopped. That could get a bit annoying, esp. when fighting bosses.
Isn't that the whole point? It'd be annoying if a boss is attacking you while you're trying to switch weapons, that's why he stops the action during this process. It's sort of like a minipause feature.
You were annoyed in the original super metroid when ridley hit you while you were switching from missiles to beam?
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Quote from Bolognab:
You were annoyed in the original super metroid when ridley hit you while you were switching from missiles to beam?

One of those involves hitting one button quickly and doesn't need pausing, the other potentially involves switching from weapon 3 to weapon 9. Pausing is fine for the latter. Insom has been doing this longer and better than about any of us; I'm sure he's set it up to be fun.
All aboard the soul train
I was annoyed as hell in Ratchet and Clank when facing some boss and I try to switch from the Blaster to the Devestator, and some baddie hits me while selecting.

Then, in the next games, YES! They pause it! An extremely welcomed feature, pausing is good. So what if it "stops the action" action isn't good when it's as annoying as hell.
--Lawrence of Arrakis--
I was more or less trying to emulate the weapon selection system used in the earlier Metal Gear Solid games. I think they pulled it off pretty darn well, that's why I couldn't resist giving it a go. I think that the inventory is good as is, though I've removed the reserve tanks (freed up more RAM for thermodynamics engine). I need to remove them from the inventory as well.

I'll need more room for all the stuff I'm planning on adding.
Were you the guy who was making a hack that requires knowledge of several physics knick knacks to survive? I'm looking forward to seeing how that's incorporated.
--Lawrence of Arrakis--
Yes. Well, sort of. I was sort of kidding.

Not necessarily to survive, but it will make things easier to comprehend. As long as you're not stuck on the Caloric Theory, you'll be fine.  :)

Spontaneous Generation might just be true in the Metroid universe though. o_O
eh, Caloric Theory isn't that bad; Carnot used it to derive his namesake engine.

On an on-topic note, weapon selection might be made easier by having "weapon select" pause the game, then you press a button to pick a weapon.  Since there are 12 SNES controller buttons and 12 weapons (in your formulation), it would work.

Oh, and this is incredibly awesome.
The only problem I could see, unless you recoded that part too, is having different beam sprites on the screen at the same time (Like shooting the Plasma Beam right before you get the Hyper Beam when doing the Metroid glitch at Mother Brain). Just my two cents.

As for your work, that is....very....amazing.  aiwebs_016
--Lawrence of Arrakis--
Good thinking. That can be more or less easily fixed. I have a perfect hijack point, I just need to stick in a "Kill all beams on screen, refresh beam graphics, refresh beam palettes" subroutine. You're a bug tester even before having touched the game!

From here, I'll work on weapons. I've got one almost done from last year, but the rest haven't been touched yet. After that, probably the rest of the items I want to build. Then, new enemies, then new levels, then new events, finally a few touch-ups, then I'll be done. Level design will be the biggest (or technically, the smallest) bottleneck, as I'm not all that good at it (at least I can't make quality work in a short time).
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Quote from InsomniaDMX:
Level design will be the biggest (or technically, the smallest) bottleneck, as I'm not all that good at it (at least I can't make quality work in a short time).

Good lord do I ever know how that feels. I usually do the level design between the ASMy stuff, 'cause if I do it all at once it gets shitty and I end up redoing it later anyway. Of course you can't really do that until you draw graphics, which I'm assuming you're doing? But if you're not no problem, you made old Zebes look good enough in SAC.
Who'da thought that J.R. "Bob" Dobbs knew programming?

Anyway, very fantastic work. A banned suck-up once said that SMTac would be the ultimate bar-raiser, so to speak.

He was almost certainly wrong. This is.
Edit history:
Gaius_4: 2008-08-25 01:29:30 pm
If anyone feels like I'm hijacking this thread - let me know.  I'll zip-it and not say anything else about it.  :-#

Thinking a bit more about a faster item selection process...

Let's say you can press start to pause and go to the map screen.

If you hold, say, the R button then press pause you bring up the item inventory.  This could be either the way it currently is in SM...  or in the new hack being presented here - with it displayed 'up-top'.

It could be like a menu system.
Activate/Open the Weapon/Item Inventory by pressing Start + R
From here you can jump to....
Select - Reserve tanks, press A to refill.
Y - Beams/Missles
X - Suits
A - Misc.
B - Boots

In the Beams/Missles (directory) you could press another button to switch to or off/on whichever beam you want.

The same would work for the other catagories.

It could be possible to switch to another weapon as quick as pressing a 3 or button sequence/combination.  And I'd think that with enough practice someone could switch beams/missles very quickly.

With the momentary 'pause'...  That's okay.  I'm just offering an idea to minimize the wait time. 
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think your current method is best. To me, it just seems like it's faster and easier than having to go through menus and such.
I also like it the way it is.  It will just take some time to get used to, but I think it makes the most sense.
Edit history:
Gaius_4: 2008-08-25 08:49:12 pm
Quote from uNsane:
I think your current method is best. To me, it just seems like it's faster and easier than having to go through menus and such.

Assuming you were talking to me...  Well, I don't mean like literal 'menus'. 

Lets say for example you had the following beams equiped.

Wave, Spazer, Ice, Plasma.

And you wanted to deactivate the Ice beam.  So, you'd press the button that makes the screen pause so you can navigate.

The way it appears now - you'd have to press left or right and find what you want and switch over to, turn off and/or turn on whatever you wanted.

But when beams are assigned to different buttons...  Like if the Ice-Beam were assigned to Y, since it's already on you'd press the Y button to turn it off.  Press or release the weapon select button and you're right back into the action.

Of if you wanted to change around more than one beam/s...  I think you could do that too.

ETA: Thinking of SM-Control Freak...  I've thought that...  The closest thing that comes to my mind is the ol' Samurai Shodown games.  Where one button is weak slash, the 2nd is medium slash, but together they're the hard slash.  So, thinking in terms of the Super Metroid you have one fire button, another button could be the Missiles, but pressing both the fire and missle button would fire a super missle.