12 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Fear Me! (Or else...)
This patch is starting to get so many updates and get so big, I'm starting this thread devoted entirely to it. I am currently working on an update to add a bombing maze to the left wall of the room, not really affecting the outside at all, but now the entire wall is a maze that you have to have either really good bomb-jumping skills, or good wall-jump-mid-air-morph skills. I'm thinking of taking the top of the room, and making the maze extend there. I'm also trying to make it impossible to get into it except from the designated entrance, but not having much luck there. Does anyone know how to make the moving ground go faster? I'll use it to push you back out. Also, I'll attach the current version of the patch to this message, and to all the future updates when they're finished. Enjoy, and give me your comments!
Thread title: 
Fear Me! (Or else...)
Sorry for double posting already, but I accidentally hit post on the previous message, and when i edited it, attaching wasn't an option. So, I have to double post and put it on this one. Again, sorry!

Edit: Oh, and beware the doors on the right, I put a couple of guard doors there to make sure that you're sure. It's a one-way boss fight, where you go in, and you don't come out. There I put the bosses in a sequence that loops. Also, I'm about to update it, because I want to add something to Kraid's and Phantoon's rooms.

Edit #2: Also, does anybody know how to add water to Kraid's room?

Edit #3: Oh, and if any of you guys want to do IM with me, I have my own chatroom at http://www.bioniclegenius.googlepages.com/chatroom. Just sign in there, and talk with the rest of us in there. Just to help you guys out if you have quick questions or something for me. Also, note that I will not always be in there. Thanks!
Break the chains!
Great training hack. :-D
Fear Me! (Or else...)
Thanks. I'm going to be fixing some stuff on it, though, and majorly extending the maze -) lol. Any ideas of what else I could do?
Edit history:
Gaius_4: 2008-08-13 09:46:45 am
I'm not at home and can't DL and play with the patch to see what all is there...  But would you have an area or room where you can practice infinite ball jumps?  When I was practicing this a long time ago - it was in Kraids room.  I didn't have the high jump boots, but when I'd jump up I'd notice the background where I was setting a bomb.  This is one way of doing the ibjs...  From a jump.  But some people might do it from the ground (I don't know why though).  :P 

Single bomb jumping is how it's typically done.  But you can also do a double bomb jump.

What I'm thinking you could do is have a room and in the back ground have certain tiles that (hint) to where to set each bomb.  The spacing of the bombs set can determine how fast you climb.  So, with different spacing of certain background tiles you can practice different/varied bomb jumping techniques.:-?

Just an idea.

Edit:  Okay.  Now I see what we're talking about.  I patched it to a headerless rom...  I don't think that's what I was supposed to do.  Samus has no gunbarrel arm/hand.  :P  And the only part visible when you first start is her head and part of her shoulder.  or smth.
Fear Me! (Or else...)
Yeah, I used an unheadered rom. The thing was, I was messing around with tlp, and I made samus's arm invisible. I had been testing this, so hey... About the infinite morphball jumping -
Go all the way to the left-most spot in the screen, and there you can morph into a ball and enter the maze ( Twisted Evil Don't bother asking for help if you get lost! :-({|=) from there. Also, I'm working on an update where Kraid's and Phantoon's rooms are filled with water, so you either have to be handicapped, or you have to find the gravity suit, which I hid. Also, please don't look in SMILE at the maps, b/c it's so much better when you find the stuff for yourself -). Also, I'm working on extending the morphball maze to include the entire top of the screen, go down the right side, pass along the bottom, and exit next to the entrance. I'm also going to see if I can get it so that you can't enter by the exit, you have to go in the proper entrance. My current updates are also graphical, involving the right side of the screen, making it a more complex design, just for fun and for those of you who enjoy this type of art form -).
Anyways, please give me feedback and tell me what you think about this patch -). :D

Update: I believe I am just about done now, except for maybe doing some more graphical updates to the walls, or something. I will attach it when I am sure that either I'm done, or I've gotten a lot of work (enough at least) done. Tell me what you think of what I have so far, and what you think of the finished project when I release it, which will probably not be too much longer.
Fear Me! (Or else...)
Again, sorry for double posting, but I think I have what will be about the final form this hack will take, and I need to attach it here. I probably will do some more graphical work and extend the maze somewhat, but for now, this is good. Enjoy!

Okay, now I'm starting a new edit to this. I'm adding another big room, and I'm going to make it into one big morphball maze. I'm also going to put a reward at the end of this, and I'm going to connect the first morphball maze to the gravity suit so that you have to go through it if you want to get to it. It's not ready yet, but you can play the version that I have right before it attached to this message. I'll put it up as soon as I finished or get most of the way through the giant morphball maze. Also, feel free to post videos here as to what time you got in the maze. Enjoy!
Fear Me! (Or else...)
Ok, as I said, I'm sorry for triple posting. However, nobody has responded, I can't attach to my other posts by editing them, so I have to post again. In this update, I've added another room, this one with another maze (Not yet complete, but at least I have the solution completed), with a couple items at the end as a reward - much needed ones if you're going to fight any of the bosses. Let me put it this way: it is, as far as I know, impossible, although it might actually be slightly possible, to beat the bosses without these items. I don't think I got the second item working, the definition is messed up, I think. Still, it shouldn't be actually needed. Anyways, enjoy this new update, and have a look at a hint of what is in store for you!
red chamber dream
Double/triple posting for updates like this is usually okay, but you might want to consider waiting until you have a lot of stuff to post, then just doing it all at once.
Fear Me! (Or else...)
Yes ma'am, I will keep that in mind. Wasn't sure if it was okay, but with the updates, I kinda figured it might be. Thank you for the warning, at least.

Btw, is there a way to edit or add attachments to posts when you're editing them? That would make it a lot easier.
Cool stuff here. This training patch is something new. I mean, how did you add ability to fight the same boss again? Are you going to make the real hack soon?
Fear Me! (Or else...)
I just changed what made the second state activate. Though, for some reason, it doesn't work with Kraid or Ridley... Oh well. Still, thanks. Also, what do  you mean by a real hack? Just wondering  8-).
What he means by "real hack" is a complete hack, which would probably be your "sm fullhack" project. also, I think you should add different rooms with things like water and lava so you can mess around with things like the crouch jump, or just climbing a watery room without the gravity suit to practice doing runs on super metroid.
This is more like a One-Room hack.  Except there's not much to explore...  It's purpose is as it's name implies.  Training.  But there is plenty more to practice.

Like a room allows you to mock-ball, maybe at different heights.
Do a few tricks like those that are required in other hacks...

But if you did that...  I don't know how the authors of said hacks that included those techniques in their hacks would react...  You may have to ask around or ask here all in one post.

This would require many more rooms than just the one you have right now.

You could have them all connected in a way that it's easy to get from one to the other.

I've only fiddled around with Smile one time...  I couldn't figure it out at that time....  and I didn't have anything specific in mind.  So I quit.  I may have been very tired too.

I probably could draw up some simple maps for rooms that you could use for different things for players to practice. :|  Eh...  On 2nd thought...  I don't want to promise anything I might not have the motivation to do.  I had a rough (emotional) day yesterday.  So anything isn't certain at this point. 

I might surprise you with a PM.... You never know.
Edit history:
aigamerDS: 2008-08-15 02:56:09 pm
Quote from Bioniclegenius:
I just changed what made the second state activate. Though, for some reason, it doesn't work with Kraid or Ridley... Oh well. Still, thanks. Also, what do  you mean by a real hack? Just wondering  8-).

I'm talking about the actual game, not just a training stuff. Like, maybe a full hack or half hack?

I'm almost done with my Super Metroid RBO Insane hack so are you ready for it?
Fear Me! (Or else...)
I'm still not sure how to do a mockball... I have a rough idea of what it is. I used to know what it was and how to do it, but that was several years ago... isn't it a morphball at running speed? Also, as to that lava and water idea, I probably won't do the lava one. But the water... that's a good idea. Especially seeing as I have the gravity suit hidden now  Laughing. Also, I've hidden the energy tanks, the spring ball, and I'm attemping to put in a reserve tank that gives you all four... but when I tried it out, it didn't give you any (as far as I can tell - who knows? It might actually give you them. I don't know...). So, that's a total of two rooms I ought to add. Btw, I was originally going to add that big room in Crateria, the first room you can go in right next to the ship room, but it turns out that somehow those plms are connected with the ones in the ship room - you delete plms in that room, or even move them, and  the same effect happens to the main room. I don't know how to fix that, other than maybe changing the plm pointer, so I'm not using that room for now. I'm not sure what other big rooms I could add. I tried that really big one in Brinstar, but when you actually went through the door, the game froze up except for the music halfway through it. So, that pretty much leaves just a couple rooms. Not that many to deal with. Any other really big rooms I could use? Oh, and please give me any feedback you have about this training hack, as well as other ideas. Who knows, I'd probably use them!

As to the real hack idea, I might add that - maybe after you beat all the bosses, it leads to another big section of the game, you know, like multiple rooms, etc. That's not a bad idea... I'll think about that one. In the meantime, I'll just work on finishing my morphball maze.

Oh, and as to the morphball maze, if you really do get lost, and can't find the way, just post where it was here, and I (or someone else who's watching this thread) will help you out with it. Also, feel free to post videos of your best time in the completed morphball maze in here - I'd like to see how I measure up in speed against someone else.
Fear Me! (Or else...)
Ok, progress report. I've been working heavy-duty on the morphball maze, and I have it now so that you have a shortcut you can take from the end of it to the start - just a five or six square passage - that is one way, and cannot be passed from the other way, not even if you've passed it. I put in a crumbling block, so it instantly re-forms right behind you  grin new This maze is seriously shaping up. Also, a heads-up: The most direct or obvious path is not necessarily the right one - as a matter of fact, this is almost always true. It's generally a hidden or round-about path, and there is only one right path! Tell me what you think so far.
Phazon Vasteel Autobot
great hack dude :)
Fear Me! (Or else...)
Thanks. I'm still working on the morphball maze though... Ok, any other ideas I ought to implement into this?
Fear Me! (Or else...)
Ok, progress report time! I know this seems a bit soon, but I've made some pretty good progress. Here's a description of what I've done:
I've excavated the top 3 screens and bottom 3 screens in the morphball maze, so all that's left is about 5 or 6 screens in the middle. I've also added a door to the far left of the maze, in which you can practice your underwater stuff. The entire room is underwater, and is mostly clear, so you can practice mockballing, underwater stunts, and whatever else you feel like there. If you have the gravity suit, then it's just a big open room with no purpose. If you don't have it, it's a great place to practice your underwater stunts, and such. Check this out! Also, as the morphball maze nears completion, it gets more and more complex.

Also, what room should I add next to this, and what purpose shall it serve? Any and all ideas (short of really, really stupid ones that are so stupid they practically have to be intentional jokes) are welcome.
Edit history:
Acheron: 2008-08-17 05:52:57 pm
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Bioniclegenius:

I know you're super excited about your minihack and I can appreciate that enthusiasm, but you started this thread five days ago and have posted 12 times on the first page. I'm all for sharing progress updates on hacks, but your frequency in doing so is beginning to look like definite gray area in regards to the rules; specifically, rules about double-posting/spam.

I know you want to continue sharing the patches for your hacks, but please realize that the forumgoers as a whole are not eagerly anticipating minor updates for your hack. As a possible, spam-free alternative, I recommend using any blog site to host information regarding small updates/patch changes. Doing so will allow those interested in your minihack to keep up with your progress; at the same time, you won't appear like you're disregarding rules. This is win-win-win for everyone, yes? I trust you'll keep this in mind for future updates. ;)
Almost happy
Oh your a mod now :-)

That's kinda weird, I was thinking about suggesting a new mod for the hacks forum (since non of the other mods are here very much), and you specifically where the one I was thinking would do the job best. And suddenly I see you have already become one...
Quote:
I know you want to continue sharing the patches for your hacks, but please realize that the forumgoers as a whole are not eagerly anticipating minor updates for your hack. As a possible, spam-free alternative, I recommend using any blog site to host information regarding small updates/patch changes.

I suggest just doing more changing and not updating with a [double] post every time something small is added. Compile it all together, then release, not the other way around.
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Quote from Cpadolf:
Oh your a mod now :-)

That's kinda weird, I was thinking about suggesting a new mod for the hacks forum (since non of the other mods are here very much), and you specifically where the one I was thinking would do the job best. And suddenly I see you have already become one...

In a dark, dank basement, in someone's mom's house, the admins browse the internets fervently, seeking out one who has no life, to rule over children and social misfits. I heard chanting in the shadows; I answered the call. Fear my touch, for these fingers bear years of Cheeto's stains...

But yes, I will be trying to keep this place tidied up from here on out. First thing on my agenda: remove all the Swedes.

Quote from Bolognab:

I suggest just doing more changing and not updating with a [double] post every time something small is added. Compile it all together, then release, not the other way around.

Thanks. This is also a reasonable suggestion. I don't believe Bioniclegenius is intentionally violating the rules; you can't attach files to posts you've already made. I do agree that it would be better form to only update on the forums with more substantial updates/discussion. Asking for suggestions about specific rooms or minor changes becomes tedious quickly.
Very good job Acheron. Keep laying down the law. :P