123456 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Poll:
Poll (hidden)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Should You Be Able To Delete Polls?
Yes (6)
No (2)
I want another teaser!!!!! (11)
Edit history:
Zeke: 2009-06-03 07:39:48 pm
OMG FLAN!!!!!!!
Hey all. I'm currently making a super metroid hack, SM: Impulse, to join the ranks of the other 30 out there. It WON'T be so rediculously difficult that no one can complete it (like SM: Cliffhanger! WTF) , but there will be some parts that require a bit of skill, but be assured, it wont be nessesary to slow the emulator down to 1% to do it.

There's also gonna be a new explorable area. wont go into that too much yet because I haven't made that part yet.

Anyway I'll post more updates as I progress through it.
Thread title: 
Fullhack or halfhack? And why not have 6 new areas instead of just one? :P
Kneel before the great & powerful chOZo
How much progress have you made so far?  I hope its a full hack !  Do you have any preview vids or screenshots?  Any new items in it?  New premise or story ?
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Quote from Sadiztik Fish:
It WON'T be so rediculously difficult that no one can complete it (like SM: Cliffhanger! WTF)

Aw, hey, he made an easy mode for a reason.
Green-Kirby, ROAR!
Sigh topics likes this shoulc not be made IMO.

If you don't have any content to show off. There realy is no point in making a topic. :/
I agree, GK. Basically it was just "I'm making a hack." But if you give out some content that's fine :)
OMG FLAN!!!!!!!
It will certainly be a full hack. I don't have enough knowledge of hacking yet to completely change the story or add new items, but I've left out Ceres for a reason Wink.
oops - spoiler.

I was about 20% through a few weeks ago, but since then I had a majorly bad glitch which screwed over a LOT of rooms (and I mean a LOT, including the landing site), so I started again. Right now I'm about 10% finished. I'll get some screenshots up later this week for anyone who actually wants to see.
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
It will certainly be a full hack. I don't have enough knowledge of hacking yet to completely change the story or add new items, but I've left out Ceres for a reason Wink.
oops - spoiler.

I was about 20% through a few weeks ago, but since then I had a majorly bad glitch which screwed over a LOT of rooms (and I mean a LOT, including the landing site), so I started again. Right now I'm about 10% finished. I'll get some screenshots up later this week for anyone who actually wants to see.

You know, we have a pretty good SMILE troubleshooting community here... unless you're positive you broke the game in an unfixable way I'd bet it wouldn't be too hard to set it right again.
I remember when I first started hacking...

So many times I had to start over before someone finally told me not to use the +/- PLM/enemy function without repointing data. Oh the memories!

There should really be a basic read me of dos/don'ts packaged with SMILE.
Annoying
Maybe someone should write a tutorial for making a basic hack.
BT's guide is more than enough to satisfy that.
Quote from Bugsey:
Maybe someone should write a tutorial for making a basic hack.

BT has a nice SMILE faq and there was a community one that seems to have been abandoned(?).  Between those two SM hacking is fairly well explained.  They are both pretty simple to read, though trial and error is always how I end up doing things.
The community one is still open to creation.  It's got plenty of useful info in it already, it's just not in a completed form.  I guess I could release a semi-complete one sometime...
OMG FLAN!!!!!!!
Well I ran into a few problems. Not bugs or anything, well something. I can't use the graphic set I want for the new area (which for now is named Telurian, but will probably change). I want to use Set 17, but that only works in Ceres, and if I change the room to a Ceres room, I lose some of the other tiles I need. Doesn't matter anyway.

First screenshot of the new area - as an attachment, cause I don't have anywhere to upload it.

EDIT: Ok you can see it anyway.

attachment:
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Oooh, nice.

If you know how to use TLP you can always export the particular tiles from the Ceres tileset and import them into another one. I believe BT did that for GD. Alternatively you could probably replace one of the five "save room" type tilesets with the Ceres one and it wouldn't have those strange properties, although you'd need to change its pointers as well and make free space so that might be a bit more than you're ready to do depending on how comfortable you are with hex. I've posted a tutorial on it in one of the last pages of the SMILE help thread though.
Edit history:
Sadiztik Fish: 2009-05-20 06:00:19 am
OMG FLAN!!!!!!!
More screenshots. These are just areas early on in the game. Well enjoy anyway.

OMG FLAN!!!!!!!
well its been a while since my last post. Maridia is proving really annoying to be honest, so I'll probly end up changing the scenery around that area to make it easier (and to make the hack feel even more different, i guess).

and in terms of graphics, you may be able to consider wrecked ship gone as well. I havent started on that area, but i want to make it different from the other original areas.

So far ive done most of crateria, parts of brinstar that join the bits of crateria together, some of maridia and half of telluria (a new area, for now replacing tourian, but maybe wrecked ship).

more screen shots :)

Break the chains!
This looks like it's gonna be fun! extra_smug
OMG FLAN!!!!!!!
Hit a snag. Accidently corrupted one of my palettes, so I got a new rom and I'm just copying over every room I've done. Tiring. I've moved Telluria (the greyish-red area with a lot of spikes in the screen shot) from Tourian to Wrecked Ship. I don't know how extensive I can make that area, because obviously the Tourian tile set wasn't designed with "secret here" in mind, but I'm trying. I'll probably edit the tiles a bit and add some more.

The idea I've got is that the area is accesible early on in the game, and you would naturally be compelled to explore it, except that as soon as you enter you'll have the idea that you're not supposed to be there yet (which i think I've accomplished, you'll have to wait and see, but the hint is those weird statues in a screenshot upwards somewhere)

Oh yeh, the hack is now called Super Metroid Impulsion. I dont think thats even a word, and I dont know why I changed it, except that it sounds better.
Oh yeh, the hack is now called Super Metroid Impulsion. I dont think thats even a word, and I dont know why I changed it, except that it sounds better.

It is a word, although it suggests that you use a lot of treadmills.

Definition
Edit history:
Sadiztik Fish: 2008-09-06 11:46:38 pm
OMG FLAN!!!!!!!
Quote from Spoo:

It is a word, although it suggests that you use a lot of treadmills.

Definition

Uhh treadmills... yes... of course. I HATE TREADMILLS!!!!!! Actualy the idea was that you wouldnt be able to help going where you shouldn't go yet. This is going to be a pretty non-linear hack, but if you don't do things right, life will be very difficult for you.

YAY NEW GRAPHICS!!!!!!!! No screenshots cause I'm not finished yet. sorry people. Embarassed

EDIT: Ok I'm not good at changing the pallete... In fact I completely suck at it. I've done level design amost perfect I think. I could make it a bit more detailed in some areas, but otherwise it's all good.

Actually I wanted to ask if someone who is good with the palletes and TLP would like to help me with the backgrounds, scenery colors, etc. What I'm going for is a morning pinkish sky pallete (for outside), a mid-day light blue pallete, and a really dark blue-purple night one. I've just tried making a day one, but with all the tiles that use a mix of the pallete numbers, it gets weird.

I'll try making a night one now.

EDIT AGAIN:
Ahh I got it fixed now. Ive done my daytime colors. I just need to use different tile sets for each time of day. But I still need help editing the actual blocks. I just need to mess around with TLP.
Go ahead. Stare.
Non-linear is great. I prefer exploration heavy games/hacks. I can't wait to see what you've come up with.
OMG FLAN!!!!!!!
Well I haven't posted here in in nearly a month. But don't worry; I have by no means given up on this.

I've change the CRE graphics a bit, changed the palletes, and gotten to work on figuring out different FX1 for EVERY room. I'm puting FX into every single room. If a room can't have it, I won't use it. And the FX I'm using really do give the game a new feel.

I've held out on this for a while, so I'm revealing the areas in Impulsion:

Solaria - Planet Surface. There's a light side and a dark side. (Obviously the darkside would be the other side of the planet, and will take a while to get to...)
Light Side - The part you begin at. A lot of it is outside, a few misty caves, nothing special.
Dark Side - What Maridia has become. There's a lot of caves, some filled with water. Also some frozen parts. Outside is a night sky.

Another area which I haven't named yet - Under the surface. Haven't thought about it.

Incintyra - Planet Core. Pretty much the equivalent of Norfair, but without as much lava. A few heat runs, maybe even an acid run. Trying to incorperate a baby Ridley.

P.C.S. - Planet Control System. A station built under the surface, which connects all of the power lines around the planet.

I'm thinking of releasing a teaser kind of demo, just to give the idea of what to expect in the hack. Just a few rooms from each area. But I probably wouldn't release it in this thread. Only cause this one is littered with so much junk and old screenshots of places that don't exist anymore.
Sounds great, I like the names of the areas.  I'm not excited about the possibility of an acid run though.
OMG FLAN!!!!!!!
WOOO First post in months.

Upper solaria is completely finished. Lower Solaria has a whole part finished, but only about ten rooms.

I don't want to spoil too much about the game, but it will by (as far as I know), the only hack where your choices can change the game.

I'm also maybe putting new music in the game. If I can write some kind of video game theme... (mostly I write metal/rock kind of stuff). I've got some ASM that lets me add new music in so it's there if I need it.

SCREENSHOT TIME!!!

attachments: