^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
reaper901: 2008-06-24 08:36:16 am
the metroid is a lie !
this hack takes place on the g.f.s. arkbird, a galactic federation cruiser. It's last mission was to transfer metriod specimens obtained from the planet Quoron12. However, during the transfer with the cargo ship carrying the various specimens, all contact was lost and a code amber search party was dispatched to the cruisers last known position. That was 3 months ago and it is assumed that all of the search party are KIA. The GF had no choice but to employ Samus Aran and signal a code Crimson search & destroy mission is to be carried out.
You (obviously) play the part of Samus Aran as you explore the mysterious corridors of this now desolate cruiser as you collect experimental technologies to help you peice together what happened.
This is the first demo of SMX and is far from finished, I have tested for bugs but if you find any let me know! The progress of this hack is rather fast atm with me getting about two rooms done per day so a second demo may not be too far off!
Anyhoo, just enjoy it and give me some feedback!
Peace.
Thread title: 
Works for headered roms btw.

The item order is somewhat interesting, though I really dislike gravity changes in general.  Given the smallish spaces the demo works with it didn't bother me too much though.  I came up with a strange freezing error at the speed booster missile pack.  Sometimes when I walked by that area before getting it weird stuff would happen.  Returning from the grapple room e-tank I hit a door transition that took me somewhere else, the door below the one it was supposed to. 

I'm very reminded of fusion from the section names, it's nice to know where you're going, though some of the names seemed out of place.  I don't think you really need a 'save room' marker, it just seems out of place.  Also, there is a 'teleporter' marker that leads to a save room, maybe that's going to be something else, I don't know.  The metroid room was pretty funny I thought, but the acronym for pbs seemed very out of place, just a personal opinion.

I stopped play when I found an empty room, fell through the floor, I don't see any other paths so I'm assuming I'm done since that section looked unfinished.  So far I like what you've done overall
Really good looking so far. I like the use of pallet swaps on existing tile sets for a more spaceshipy feel :D. I found that going into the morphball test area early gets the enemies out early and causes a sound glitch in the acid room right before the morphball  room, so you may want to prevent early entry to that place if you can. I like the use of the bang in the maintenance shaft but it seems to have an annoyingly large hitbox from the initial sprite, although I guess you can't really expect the enemies that Nintendo left out to be bug free Rolling Eyes. I also keep crashing every once and a while in the hall right before botwoon Shocked. All in all, this hack looks like it's going to be really good once it gets a nice polish job  8-)!
Edit history:
Acheron: 2008-04-24 09:08:36 pm
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
By headered I think you meant unheadered. :P

Dude, you spelled "hangar" wrong.  laugh new

Seems pretty good. Gravity is way too heavy. Also, there's a lot of "crashing tiles", like people said--this is probably from PLMs that Samus is walking into that she shouldn't be allowed to.
Quote from Acheron86:
By headered I think you meant unheadered. :P

Okay so by headered I guess I meant, "I patched my headered copy and it works just fine."

By unheadered I think you meant, "Goddamn it Xagg you're wrong my unheadered game patched just fine."

So we're both right.  Wait, what?
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Quote from Xaggoth:

Okay so by headered I guess I meant, "I patched my headered copy and it works just fine."

By unheadered I think you meant, "Goddamn it Xagg you're wrong my unheadered game patched just fine."

So we're both right.  Wait, what?

Okay, now I'm just plain confused. My 3,072 KB ROM worked with the patch; the headered one (3,073 KB) did not. Are you sure you aren't mixing the two up? 'Cause if you aren't, phantomhacker got some strange voodoo goin' on.
Edit history:
playerman1230: 2008-04-24 10:41:51 pm
Hated by all
Gravity is way too heavy, like Acheron said. It's heavier than Redesign. I can't even get out of the Morphball area!

Edit: And besides, space is supposed to be light. Why did you have to add extra gravity to it? Redesign's physics, I can handle, crouch jump and all, well, maybe except the wall jumping.
Double checked myself since you said your headered didn't work.  I took my 3,073 KB and patched it.  It ran fine.  After patching the file was 3,104 KB.  I left it in .swc but I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter right?

Took my headered, removed header to 3,072 KB and patched.  Ran fine again, the KB count after this patch was also 3,104 KB.  Left it in .smc from smile editting.

I didn't play through the unheadered version, but I checked the first few rooms and it was all the same.  I think they both work since the KB counts become the same after patching.  Do yours?
I like the gravity setting, but you're a mean person. That rising acid is kinda harsh, especially when you miss one enemy, realize you'll have to start all over because you didn't think to save state this early, and then die, staring at a grey door while acid slowly disintegrates your body.

I'll try again later, when I'm not so ashamed of dying this early in a hack. I lasted longer in Impossible for pete's sake.
Hated by all
Quote from Cardweaver:
I like the gravity setting, but you're a mean person. That rising acid is kinda harsh, especially when you miss one enemy, realize you'll have to start all over because you didn't think to save state this early, and then die, staring at a grey door while acid slowly disintegrates your body.

I'll try again later, when I'm not so ashamed of dying this early in a hack. I lasted longer in Impossible for pete's sake.

True that. I died in just 2 minutes. I can last longer in Redesign. A mere 14 minutes.
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Quote from Xaggoth:
Double checked myself since you said your headered didn't work.  I took my 3,073 KB and patched it.  It ran fine.  After patching the file was 3,104 KB.  I left it in .swc but I'm pretty sure that doesn't matter right?

Took my headered, removed header to 3,072 KB and patched.  Ran fine again, the KB count after this patch was also 3,104 KB.  Left it in .smc from smile editting.

I didn't play through the unheadered version, but I checked the first few rooms and it was all the same.  I think they both work since the KB counts become the same after patching.  Do yours?

IPS patchers work by applying changes at certain locations in a file. Headered files start with an extra $200 bytes, which means that every address in the file is $200 bytes higher in address. There's no way a patch for an unheadered ROM can work with a headered ROM, or vice versa. I'm inclined to think your "headered" ROM has some extra information at the end of it for some reason (edited, trainer, not a clean verified [!] ROM). A good way to test would be to open up your headered ROM in a hex editor and see what's at 4B0-4C0 (should be something like "supermetroid").
Edit history:
Xaggoth: 2008-04-24 11:07:49 pm
Quote from Acheron86:
A good way to test would be to open up your headered ROM in a hex editor and see what's at 4B0-4C0 (should be something like "supermetroid").

If I'm reading the editor I just downloaded right 'supermetroid' is stored beginning at 4B9 and ending at 4C4.

Edit: Oh, and I've been extracting from the same .rar for every hack I've played (nearly if not all I can find) and in every case I've had to remove a header when it was supposed to work for unheadered roms and I've left the file alone for all hacks that needed headered.  SM: MDZ used this rom as clean and I posted it as headered.  I would think issues would have come up if I had edtted an unclean rom.
calmed down and tried again with savestates. It only worked for my unheadered btw.

A small/large problem I noticed. Either you've solved the world's energy problem, or you forgot to change an index. smv attached. Note, the smv may not work for headered roms.
attachment:
Hated by all
Quote from Cardweaver:
calmed down and tried again with savestates. It only worked for my unheadered btw.

A small/large problem I noticed. Either you've solved the world's energy problem, or you forgot to change an index. smv attached. Note, the smv may not work for headered roms.

SNES 9X 1.43, like the Soup vids for Cardweaver's videos.
Damn it, I forgot again. I promise that eventually playerman won't have to follow me around like the smv police and remind the public of my version.

Anyway, explored a bit more, and I've got to say, I love what you're doing with this, and I hope you have the gusto to finish the hack.
(user is banned)
Breathe in the Future, Breathe out the Past
This is absolutely brilliant. Though the level design may be a bit bland, it's gameplay is perfection. Maintaining your health at all costs, wall jumping to ledges, basically just being cautious and conservative. Very interesting use of some enemies, and the concept is great. I'd actually call this sort of hack a conceptual one. The kind I rate highest amongst the hacks out there. I've still got lots to play still, just wanted to say this now before I forget.
Edit history:
reaper901: 2008-04-25 02:41:09 pm
the metroid is a lie !
thanks for all the replies keep them coming in!

all the glitches that are made public in this thread will be seen to and i
will kill all bugs to the best of my ability :D.

EDIT: the grapple beam was supposed to be there for testing purposes.
i must have forgoten to remove it Embarassed.
Edit history:
reaper901: 2008-05-23 05:25:36 am
the metroid is a lie !
Quote from Cardweaver:

Edit: sorry for the double post Embarassed

this area is now gonna state the progress of my hack from now on (updates ahoy!)

THE PHYSICS: the physics engine has been completely rewrote !!!!!!

THE BUGS AND GLITCHES: N/A

HACK PROGRESS: the gfs arkbird is being touched up and is neering completion and the cargo ship is complete.

GFX CHANGES : all the beam sprites have been edited. the morph ball has been redrawn. the hack has new doors alien to sm.
and spore spawn is now completely new !!!!!!!!!!!!
Acclaimed Threshold
Constant Sorrows
Instead of double-posting, you can just use edit. It still shows the topic as new.
I must try tomorrow, after I get back from my bros house.

From what I hear, it's interesting.
Once again, your level design is very unique and interesting which makes it one of the best hacks out there in my opinion.  For the most part I hate gravity changes and such, just because I speed run the original game and this type of change throws off my ability.

Lots of little quirks that can easily be fixed, and this is one of my favorite hacks.  I just hope you don't let our constructive criticism discourage you.
the metroid is a lie !
please go ahead it will make the hack better in the long run so please be open minded. Very Happy
Leader of the "Council of XIII"
I gave this demo a shot before going to sleep and it's rather interesting in my opinion. I loved the colors and such you used here...it was almost perfect. I didn't mind the gravity change at all, but it would be a bit nice if Samus could get a bit more height when she jumps (which I presume you will fix later on). The thing I did have a problem with however was the power beam. Why does Samus shoot so slow? After getting the morphball and trying to escape the room before being filled with acid, taking out the pirates is just a pain because of the delay between shots because you have to destroy them all before exiting the room. Since there are pirates on both sides of the room one slip up means death since the acid rises so fast...it's totally unbalanced in my opinion. Did you intend for the power beam to be this way? Other than that it I liked it please keep it up dude.
the metroid is a lie !
yea i actually fell into this problem a few times.
now gonna fix the beam speed.
and it was intentional Wink.
Leader of the "Council of XIII"
Ah so it was intentional...was it because you wanted to increase difficulty?