vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Yoshi348: 2008-01-17 12:33:21 am
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
EDIT: See later posts for current status.

Hey, um, we've been thinking that it might be better to fuse the Console, PC, and Handheld boards into one mega-board. The fact that the console dominates the other two in posts might be a little rough but overall we're not thinking it should be too bad. But hey, if there's something we're missing here or any other thoughts you have, go ahead and post here. Just checking with you guys to see if we missed an angle here.
Thread title: 
I dunno, I don't visit these boards much, but somehow I'm thinking the resulting megaboard will be a little too crowded (second only to Prime and Boardwalk boards). Merging PC and handheld gaming would be easier, but then again, it doesn't make much sense.
Merging console and handheld boards does, though, as handhelds are still consoles. How about that? It would be somewhat less crowded then, but still decrease the overall amount of boards.
Shifty Leader
That M2k2 guy
Quote from moozooh:
I dunno, I don't visit these boards much, but somehow I'm thinking the resulting megaboard will be a little too crowded (second only to Prime and Boardwalk boards).

It's not really all that big. It only adds up to six hundred something topics (although it is 23k posts).

The thing is, there are a couple topics about general gaming that fit into more than one subject. Considering this forum is primarily for Metroid and the rest is secondary, it kind of makes sense to combine the rest of general gaming. It's not like there's a separate board for sports or theater. I've thought about this for a bit and it seems to be more efficient to just have one massive board for everything instead of three separate boards leaving some topics torn.

I had originally rooted for a separate fora including four boards (general, console, handheld, PC), and Kenny suggested a board that had child boards for the three, but it seems too small and irrelevant to be a separate forum category, and in the end, general gamining as a board has child boards that are simply too huge to be its child boards. It's just gonna look off.

Also, if Kenny's idea came true, the next suggestion might be to make the Arts a childboard for a regular social board, alongside a couple other largish subjects. Things kind of just start to look off balance.
It does make sense for each Metroid game to have a separate board seeing as that's what brought us all here, but I don't really use the PC and Handheld ones as much as the Console one. It probably would be simpler to combine them all together into one, and as Jagger/Kenny mentioned having child boards of the three would be weird. (But I was thinking of something like that at first until I read his post.) But even having a larger board with only the PC and Handheld boards being childs of it would look weird, so the best looking version of it to me is the simple mesh of all three into one.

And in the long run it would make the most sense as well, because as I said I don't visit the PC and Handheld boards often because we don't talk about them as much in general. We'd still be able to talk about them if we wanted without having seperate areas to do so. If I remember, the only reason we split the Super Metroid board into the game itself and the hacks was because we had TOO much discussion on the hacks over the game and it was becoming one sided, right? If/when that happens with the PC and Handheld boards we could break them out again if it was necessary. Until then they should all be together in my opinion.
Shifty Leader
That M2k2 guy
I think the SM hacks child board became a child board just to make sure it gets a subcategory, but the Super Metroid board still got other discussion. It just got hard to sift through all the Hack topics to figure out if you have any experience in any of the threads. It also came to light that some hacks had started to get as popular as SM in general, having been so different, so routes and strategies and such for them had to find another place so they're not confused for the original.
I usually use the "check unread posts since last visit" button since the forum switch more than going through the individual boards from the main page like I used to. I tend to see a lot more topics listed under the Hack section than the normal Super Metroid section these days and based what I said off of that. But it doesn't surprise me about certain hacks becoming very popular because of the trend I've noticed, which is why I thought it had been split in the first place.

But I still think that what I said before about combining Console, PC, and Handheld into one and if we needed to break off a section later would be the best bet in the long run.
shrimp
and white wine
make a "console gaming 2" board to divert some of the traffic from the first one. then, the two boards can become subcommunities and have forum wars 8-)
everybody knows it's true
People should like PC gaming more.
Too many fangirls to count
Quote from Soap on a Rope:
make a "console gaming 2" board to divert some of the traffic from the first one. then, the two boards can become subcommunities and have forum wars 8-)
what are we, gamefaqs?
Shifty Leader
That M2k2 guy
Soap has been hired here to sit in his room for hours solving each thread for the funniest reply.
Edit history:
Hejira: 2007-12-28 06:40:24 pm
Quote from Mr. Aran:
People should like PC gaming more.
My PC should like gaming more.
Armor Guardian
Consolidation of the boards it the only sane option. Anything else would result in more boards than we actually need.

Quote from Hejira:
My PC should like gaming more.

Your wallet should like PCs more.
Quote from RT-55J:
Your wallet should like PCs more.
Money should like my wallet more.

Seriously, if it wasn't for the 2.4GHz processor and the fact that that's as fast as the motherboard supports, my rig would be frickin' sweet. But it does have a crappy processor and a crappy motherboard, so it's totally unsweet.

...so anyway, I heard we were going to have the gaming forums consolidated. That's cool.
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
Okay, I think I'll fuse them all as soon as I get the time.
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
Okay, status report.

Big problem with the merger plan: we can't do that with this software. Annoyingly, SMF doesn't have the mass moderation capabilities of phpBB so I can't even just move every topic in here. But, I've whipped up a plan B here. All the old posts of the PC and Handheld boards are in these child board (Console was used as the base for this board, since it had the most topics). You can't start topics there, but you can reply there. We'll move the active topics and/or stickies here to the main board. Eventually we might want to get them all in here anyway, but that'll probably take time. Still, anybody with power that wants to take some time for the fun fun job of moving topics over and over again can help us chip away at it.
This may be a very stupid question, but the answer won't be stupid no matter what so here goes.

Is it at all possible to create a user group where people in it have the ability to move threads from the old gaming boards to this one and that's it? If it is, you could recruit volunteers you trust to help move each thread.
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
It would, but it's probably not worth the time and effort setting it up and picking people.
guess you don't have mass moderation turned on or something. moved everything in and deleted child boards.
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
Woah, awesome, thanks. Must not have found the doodad on the admin panel.