12 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Bolognab: 2008-06-07 05:47:41 pm
LMAO this hack is a disaster. I commend you if you actually check pages this far back. 6/07/08
Thread title: 
attachment:
Edit history:
Fano7: 2007-12-22 05:33:20 pm
Every Bit Counts
cool. playing now.

edit: umm... was this intended? and it's for headered rom ftw.
attachment:
Edit history:
Bolognab: 2007-12-22 05:48:32 pm
Err, no. But I knew that door was glitchy. I hope you had a savestate before that.

Edit: fixed, sorry about that. I thought it was fixed during testing. new ips is up if you are stil having problems.
Edit history:
Fano7: 2007-12-22 05:49:30 pm
Every Bit Counts
I did, but I'm not playing this anymore. Spore Spawn is retarded. Olny giving a missile refill once in a blue moon is not fun (it keeps on giving me health even though I have full health).
That's weird. This stuff never happened during testing. Maybe I did something while I made the ips...
Almost happy
This is hard... First two bosses are MUCH harder then on Impossible, kraid is pretty much the same. Then when going through the first yellow door the game frooze... Crap.
Edit history:
Bolognab: 2007-12-22 06:26:33 pm
Crap, hold on. I will fix it! SOZ!! :o

Edit: wtf, I don't know how that would happen... WHY IS THIS STUFF HAPPENING?
Just some points I didn't really like so much:

The water in the Spore Spawn fight isn't really challenging - its just annoying. Although once you find the 'right' way to fight it, Spore Spawn doesn't even require you to get in the water at all since you can just jump up on the green block and hop every time he comes near you while charging infinitely, breaking to shoot him when he opens up. A rather boring and monotonous way to win, but it's the "best" strategy and the least dangerous.

Sitting around waiting for missile refills is not really challenging or fun (Kraid). Neither is killing him with the charge beam, which is basically what I ended up doing. Fighting bosses with extremely low supplies isn't usually fun in general, it just makes the fight kinda boring and long while you wait to gather up more missile refills, etc. I usually prefer difficult but in a short and sweet way.

And yes, lol @ the yellow door error. I've never seen an error quite like that. Usually the screen will just go black.

Anyway, at least you have a bit of original tile design at the beginning of the hack.
Almost happy
Yeah but for Karid and spore there is really no other (good) way of making them hard. the crumble blocks at kraid from puddin is just a nightmare so the only other possible alternative is to make him do a crapload of damage but maybe only take 15 missiles.
Every Bit Counts
well I did beat Spore Spawn, but it took forever.
Quote from Cpadolf:
Yeah but for Karid and spore there is really no other (good) way of making them hard. the crumble blocks at kraid from puddin is just a nightmare so the only other possible alternative is to make him do a crapload of damage but maybe only take 15 missiles.

I disagree on Spore Spawn - you can make the room a bit more cramped so it requires exceptional timing and reflexes to dodge it, while still giving some decent missile totals. With Kraid, it's just a lost cause unless you can indeed add in some obstacles that make it harder to get to him and hit him.
Why the HELL did it crash? It worked completely well when I was testing.
Edit history:
Fano7: 2007-12-22 06:37:34 pm
Every Bit Counts
v 1.1 doesn't work. I'll see what I can do.

edit: you have 2 ? PMLs in the room. That might be why
Quote from Black Telomeres:
The water in the Spore Spawn fight isn't really challenging - its just annoying.

Okay. Fine. What do you think is challenging? You could basically say anything is "annoying not challenging." You could say DBJ is annoying not challenging. You could say fighting suitless ridley is annoying, not challenging.
The room that's crashing has a "?" PLM in it - thats quite possibly the cause.
Nope, I tried it already, still a crash.
Edit history:
Fano7: 2007-12-22 06:42:09 pm
Every Bit Counts
I got it to work

Edit: Damn. You need more space. You can't have a gray door in Corc's room and a scroll block in the room next to it
Great! How? Tell me so I can fix this ASAP.

Tell you what, you guys can be my new beta testers :D
Every Bit Counts
Added a PML, change 2 to scroll blocks and one to an arrow and put them where they needed to go. But look at my last post. Cool. I get to be a beta tester :).
Not sure what ya mean.
Quote from Bolognab:

Okay. Fine. What do you think is challenging? You could basically say anything is "annoying not challenging." You could say DBJ is annoying not challenging. You could say fighting suitless ridley is annoying, not challenging.

Those things are both annoying and challenging  laugh new

Anyway,
Quote:
you can make the room a bit more cramped so it requires exceptional timing and reflexes to dodge it, while still giving some decent missile totals.

Things that require good reflexes, timing, etc. are the right kind of challenge. You can still create that without changing the AI, though it can be hard. It just requires the right room design. Holding on without dying for an insanely long fight isn't really part of that. That's more on the level of cheap challenge. Bosses/enemies dealing massive damage are also another type of 'cheap' challenge.
Edit history:
Fano7: 2007-12-30 01:17:31 pm
Every Bit Counts
well, why do you have 2 high jumps? Look at your orignal/1.1 at the room that it glittches into. Theres missing parts of scroll block chains. I fixed them.

Edit: Heres my Patch.

Edit 2: Man. It doesn't work
He has two hijump boots because he must've used the Enemy/PLM+/- script to add some PLMs. When SMILE doesn't have enough room, it will tend to change surrounding rooms' PLM setups to allow for the changes you make with that script. Seriously, Jathys needs to put a warning on that thing. It's like the number one cause of people screwing up their hacks. I tell people in my SMILE faq not to use it, but no one reads my faq  8-)
Every Bit Counts
I did
Well by no one I mean a rather small amount. But anyway, even if someone does read it, I can see how they could easily gloss over the warning about that script because when you're reading something, it's all in the abstract. Someone may see my warning while they're reading the FAQ, then do some testing in SMILE, then find the script, and by that time s/he may have forgotten that I mentioned it's buggy and can cause problems. This is the way the human brain tends to work.

To me, it seems that the Enemy/PLM+/- script was added basically for more advanced hackers who are using pointers to relocate their enemy/plm lists to areas of the rom with more free space.

Oh and I forget why I never got caught in that script's trap. Maybe I got a warning early from someone or I noticed its adverse effects the first time I used it. Or maybe I was always leery of it because I was cautious and just immediately thought it'd probably just straight overwrite stuff to allow the addition of those PLMs/enemies, which is what it ends up doing if you dont have free space. After all, it has to store the data associated with the added enemy/PLM somewhere...