1234 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Edit history:
Bolognab: 2007-12-12 10:16:10 pm
It's a one-room hack revolution! The credit of the hack idea goes to DMantra. Many thanks to him for allowing me to apply his ideas.

The point of his and my hacks are to put as much as we can into the space of just one room. I tried not to stray too far from the original level design, but I also fear that I didn't do as good a job as DMantra's. Anyways, I hope you enjoy this first (and probably last Rolling Eyes) hack of mine.

Required Techniques:
IBJ
Quick Charge
Speedball
Mockball
Precise Single Walljumps (maybe)
Thread title: 
attachment:
(user is banned)
Edit history:
DMantra: 2007-12-12 10:43:15 pm
Breathe in the Future, Breathe out the Past
Going to play this now. Thanks for spreading the idea! I'm a bit worried about this IBJ though.

Edit: Just got to the IBJ part. For a moment I actually found the rhythm (first time ever for me) but I landed on the spike. It will take alot of effort to make it through that. This hack has some really difficult one wall cliffing. Practice makes perfect.
Stuffs. Yar.
Quote from DMantra:
spike

Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad Evil or Very Mad
Quote from Bolognab:
IBJ
Speedball
Mockball

Apparently, I win.  :-D

This was a fun mini hack. You did a good job of fitting many things into a small space. Very nice, compact level design.
Quote from DMantra:
Just got to the IBJ part. For a moment I actually found the rhythm (first time ever for me) but I landed on the spike. It will take alot of effort to make it through that. This hack has some really difficult one wall cliffing. Practice makes perfect.

That part is still difficult for me, the creator :D

Quote from Black Telomeres:

Maybe I should have made this hack easier... but then it wouldn't attract as many people!

Quote from CaptainCanada:
Apparently, I win.  :-D

This was a fun mini hack. You did a good job of fitting many things into a small space. Very nice, compact level design.

Thanks for playing, I'm glad you liked the design.

Hmm, surprised the first questions weren't "Where's that missile!?"
ugh, IBJ, JUST WHAT I DONT NEED
If anyone doesn't have the patience to learn/do IBJ, I could probably make a patch without it. Just holler.
Well, I managed to beat it, and man that ending was like OH SHIT, because I was testing that suitless for my own hack but deemed it a little bit too ridiculous under the circumstances.

Very very nice level design for something so compact. And I found the missle by accident. It took me 14 minutes for my first try, but I succeeded. Oh, theres a point where you have to walljump roll into a respawning grapple block: Theres like no room for error there, you either make it or you die, and about 95% of the time, you die, even with savestates. I eventually had to use slowdown to manage it.
Quote from Bolognab:
Maybe I should have made this hack easier... but then it wouldn't attract as many people!

Actually, it's sort of the opposite. The harder the hack and the more special skills required to finish it, the less people will be able to play it, or at least to finish it. Although if you make the hack insanely hard enough and advertise it as such (SMI) then you can attract people with an air of morbid curiousity.
(user is banned)
Breathe in the Future, Breathe out the Past
morbid curiousity.

laugh new
Quote from Bolognab:

Actually, it's sort of the opposite. The harder the hack and the more special skills required to finish it, the less people will be able to play it, or at least to finish it. Although if you make the hack insanely hard enough and advertise it as such (SMI) then you can attract people with an air of morbid curiousity.

Saying that is just silly. There is just as big of an audience for super hard hacks as there is for easier ones.
Erm, think about it logically. The more requirements there are to play the game, the less likely the player is to have them. If a game requires you to mockball or IBJ to beat, people who can't do those things will not finish it. Believe it or not, the majority of Metroid players don't even know what a "mockball" is. While most people here probably know what it is, still not everyone here can do it. It cuts down your audience a bit to require it.
Almost happy
You should not let others demands get in the way of what you want. Making a hack just the way you like it ought to be much more fun then to limit yourself to what novice players can do, with more demands on player skill and knowledge more interesting level design (and less getting lost because of unintentional sequence breaks from the players side) is made possible.
Quote from Cpadolf:
You should not let others demands get in the way of what you want. Making a hack just the way you like it ought to be much more fun then to limit yourself to what novice players can do, with more demands on player skill and knowledge more interesting level design (and less getting lost because of unintentional sequence breaks from the players side) is made possible.

I think outside of the one room genre of hacks, SBing is nearly inevitable. Just give Kriole about an hour, and BAM! early power bombs.

I do agree that you shouldn't let others demands interfere with your level design, unless what they say makes sense. Criticism is always good, but "I can't do [insert skill]" isn't criticism, neither is "you shouldn't make you hack include [insert skill]". All the skills can be mastered with practice (and maybe some slowdown if you really have trouble), but thats beside the point. While making hacks that include skills that not everyone has can be annoying for some, there are hacks out there for everyone. Dependence and GD are both on what I would say the easier side (cept GD's Draygon.. *shudder*), and then for the crazy players looking for a challenge, there's SM:I. Thats the great thing about everyone making whatever they want: the community ends up with a variety. Also, I think most hacks only contain skills that they're creator can perform, and this also cause variation in difficulty levels. [/rant]

On another, more on-topic note, I played through again, and managed a much faster 11 minutes.
Quote from Cardweaver:
Also, I think most hacks only contain skills that they're creator can perform, and this also cause variation in difficulty levels. [/rant]

Well of course hacks only require skills their creator can perform. Why would a creator make a hack they couldn't beat?  laugh new

Now if you're saying that people who've made hacks that don't require mockballing or IBJing can't do those, then, do you _really_ think the creators of every full-hack out at this point can't do those things?  Rolling Eyes

Quote from Cpadolf:
less getting lost because of unintentional sequence breaks from the players side

I didn't realize SBing was a bad thing... People seem to spend an awful lot of time having fun searching for SBs and get amused when they find they can do something the creator never intended. Now maybe if its too easy to do; but even then, that's just more like nonlinearity, where the player can get a few different items next in the sequence.
Come on guys, if you can't even IBJ, how can you have any type of rhythm or consistent beat?  Shocked  I always figured it was just something...EVERYONE just kind of picked up after 1-2 minutes.
There are people who can't even walljump. And you think its strange that there are people who can't IBJ? :)
laugh new I guess you're right. 

...But IMHO, walljumping is slightly harder than IBJ, well...for me anyway. 

*Remembers frustrating childhood days spent trying to walljump*
Really? I wonder if there's some kind of consensus on which is easier/harder to do. I just sort of assumed walljumping was 'officially' easier. I picked up walljumping quickly, but had more trouble with IBJing. Actually I guess what would have to be compared for it to be fair is IBJing vs IWJing.
Hmm.  Well, that's probably something no one will ever find out.  I guess it will just always be a matter of speculation, which is harder.
Ah yes. The days before I learned Walljump. Trying to get early spazer, trying to make that Waljump
grrrrrrnnnnnnarghhhhhhh......................10 minutes later, FINALLY I GOT IT! Those were the days. Seems like it was yesterday...
Almost happy
Well the thing is that while one might have an easier time doing a consistent IBJ then a cinsistent walljump IBJ's have much less room for error, when IBJ is needed it's almost never with less then 10 bombs, and you can't miss even one. Walljump you just loose some height if you fail.

Also yes SBing is fun, but in more then one hack I have played I have unintentionally sequence broke the hack on my first try, resulting in getting lost bigtime. And while it is almost impossible to fully prevent all SB's in the first version of a big hack (without seriously limiting the player) it should not be that hard to put major items out of reach long enough.

Oh BTW, Cardweaver, while it is probably known (and is really not the right topic) I don't think it was intentional and it might screw up some things for some people. You can get to WS before highjump.
Quote from Cpadolf:
Also yes SBing is fun

I fully disagree. I don't feel like playing GD at all anymore because I skipped so many items and am somewhere behind god's back in my savestates with no savefile. :(
Almost happy
SBing is fun, but not when you do it while barely knowing it. Also it is not fun on the first run through the game. The fun in it lies in making a speedrun/TAS that utilises them.