12 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
I checked back five pages, which means all the way back to late ’05, but I didn’t see another topic about this, at least not that I could tell from the title.

So, why does Metroid Prime Hunters not have a section on the main site? Is it just because the DS is hard to emulate or take videos for? I know the videos are a big attraction on the site, but even just text versions of the strategies would come in very handy, if they were organized rather than lumped together in no order as in the Hunters forum. And camera footage, while not great, would still be better than nothing.

In a related matter, I am curious: the site barely updates, is that because it is dead and Nate has moved on, or is it just because it has been a while since a release, with a revitalization expected when strategies and speed runs for Corruption start appearing?
Thread title: 
Can't comment on hunters, as that's entirely Nate's deal.

As far as updates to the site goes, unless there's a new speed trick that's discovered, there's hardly any reason to update it. Considering there hasn't really been much activity at all as far as that goes, here hasn't really been any reason to update.

Expect corruption to get its own section and be populated very quickly when it comes out.
if you want to do the hunters stuff you're welcome to and i'll make a section out of it. need hierarchy (sidebar), where all the tricks go, their names, videos, and descriptions.

prime 3 will be handled in a similar way to prime 2 - wiki first, then real section after things have calmed down. wiki will be unveiled a week before release (so just over a week from now). different from last time will be that i will have to make wiki accounts for you. this is to avoid spam.
Quote from nate:
if you want to do the hunters stuff you're welcome to and i'll make a section out of it. need hierarchy (sidebar), where all the tricks go, their names, videos, and descriptions.

Really? So you mean if I can compile the raw data - names, videos, text descriptions, and an organization system, you will convert it into a site section? I could work on that, sure. No hurry since the game has been out a while already. May I post on your Hunters forum to get submissions?
yeah, people will be glad to help i think. try to get the quality of the videos as high as possible. recording guidelines are also there.
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
Yeah, I think half the reason that Hunters doesn't have pages yet is because of the recording difficulties.
Well, Corruption won't have that problem, so I won't be surprised to see that section of the site grow pretty quickly depending on how much we manage to find. But I know I won't be looking personally for the first few runs through the game, at least for anything major.

But Yoshi's probably right with Hunters. I have a feeling that there's a lot I've missed in terms of tricks for that game since I haven't played it in ages either. (Which means I haven't gone looking for the information in the forums.)
red chamber dream
Yeah, first time through any game I try and get 100%. With Corruption that'll definitely be the case, then I'll go through on Hard mode (assuming there is one) and get all the scans as well. Maybe after that I'll start looking into Breaks, though it's rarely me who finds any.
Bangaa Bishop
A neat "other" page would be a listing of the % codes and what they display. :D I know someone posted a few of em in one of the multiplayer threads.
Nate: If one was to record Hunters tricks, would both screens be required for the video to be accepted?
Shifty Leader
That M2k2 guy
I suppose that depends on the kind of thing you're recording. Something like NSMB sometimes has you play on the bottom screen randomly, but if there's no significant events taking place on one screen, it's kind of pointless.
Quote from Riplight:
Nate: If one was to record Hunters tricks, would both screens be required for the video to be accepted?

yeah, like j.g says, think of the site user. if there's nothing important going on then no need to record it.
Shifty Leader
That M2k2 guy
It's kind of funny sometimes that people think this is some official Nintendo sponsored site or something, and forget it's more of a documentation and explanation than a "Hey check it out this video isn't modified really guys!" Most of these videos are just guides to help the PLAYER do things. Once you start speedrunning to get your name on SDA, then it makes more sense to care about officialness.

I'm kind of surprised there hasn't been some sort of clip-on camera or something, though. Hasn't anyone modified a DS to split the display of a screen to a recordable monitor yet? Might Nintendo develop a GBA cart that stores video data straight from the DS? Is that even possible barring release of yet another type of DS?
red chamber dream
Not afaik. We've waited and hoped for quite a long time, but nothing has come up yet.
always move fast
there's all sorts of things to buy to play ds on the tv, but they all involve taking apart the ds to add it on.  if you care enough, that's always an option.
Bangaa Bishop
You could  probably mod a DS in some way or another to redirect the video output but I doubt there are many people with the time or money to brick (or in this case paperweight) a bunch of DSes to get it to work.
Quote from nate:
yeah, people will be glad to help i think. try to get the quality of the videos as high as possible. recording guidelines are also there.

All right, I have started a thread to explain the project and drum up interest.
Quote from bartendorsparky:
there's all sorts of things to buy to play ds on the tv, but they all involve taking apart the ds to add it on.  if you care enough, that's always an option.

I've got 3 ds-phat's to spare. Any links to these hacks?
always move fast
hm, i guess i may have lied.  i know there used to be some on sale for a while, but now all i can find are sites for protypes.  what it was was something that would become the new back of the system, so you would take off the back, wire some stuff, and then it would fit in nicely.  can't seem to find it anymore though.. =/
my umbrella goes directly to Bankai
maybe nintendo will do like in the GBC era and won't make a device to play DS games on TV and then it's sucessor comes out and the device that plays those games on TV is able to play DS games on TV because of backwards compatibility.

btw, i'm lookingh forward to the mp3 discoveries period. i might finally find something like a big SB or a trick in a Metroid game.
Shifty Leader
That M2k2 guy
Nintendo has videos of both screens. There is definitely a method. But maybe you just have to hold out for a decent output style to make a Super DS for the Rev. It probably isn't all that easy to place dual video outputs onto one monitor via console add-on.

Quote from PiccoloCube:
btw, i'm lookingh forward to the mp3 discoveries period.

I discovered the entire DKC soundtrack on saber's temp files. :^D

>_>
<_<
Quote from bartendorsparky:
hm, i guess i may have lied.  i know there used to be some on sale for a while, but now all i can find are sites for protypes.  what it was was something that would become the new back of the system, so you would take off the back, wire some stuff, and then it would fit in nicely.  can't seem to find it anymore though.. =/

You sure you aren't thinking of the old TV hacks for the original GBA?

Quote from JaggerG:
Nintendo has videos of both screens. There is definitely a method. But maybe you just have to hold out for a decent output style to make a Super DS for the Rev. It probably isn't all that easy to place dual video outputs onto one monitor via console add-on.

Nintendo has the "blue blocks of death", which they only supply for nintendo's own representatives and certain media organizations (I believe IGN and gamespot have one of their own... I could be wrong though). This is how nearly all video from the DS is captured.
red chamber dream
Don't get why they don't just sell them to the public. Why choose to not make money when you can make money?
creative control.

same reason apple doesn't release os x for pc and take over the market.
PAGE BREAKER
Ready and willing.
Actually the answer is probably that there isn't enough demand for it, especially if the equipment is expensive and/or unwieldy. Without enough demand, they wouldn't actually make any money.

And comparing anything to Apple is a little tricky; Apple puts creative control on a much higher priority than pretty much any company that isn't a monopoly or in a creative industry.