page  123456789101112131415 -> 1 ... 15 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
BEFORE I GET INTO THIS, PLEASE NOTE! I DID NOT DISCOVER THIS! Master ZED DID! ALL CREDIT GOES TO Master ZED FOR DISCOVERY OF THE GLITCH. VARIOUS PEOPLE DISCOVERED THE LOCATIONS, AND VIDEOS/USES ARE PROPERLY CREDITED. I BELIEVE doninss FOUND THE INFINITE BOOST (CORRECT ME IF I'M WRONG), AND VARIOUS PEOPLE DISCOVERED THE "Where's the Room?" GLITCH. Thank you for your time.

UPDATE: 12/24/05 (merry Christmas eve): The glitch has been renamed again. It is now the Infinite Speed Bug, as originally named.

Master ZED has found a glitch on Metroid Prime 2, and it works well in Metroid Prime. Metroid Prime has more spots this glitch can be done; IMO, it's one of the best glitches to be found in the game.

Needed items:
-Morph Ball
-Boost Ball
-Optional: Spider Ball

To do:

First, you need a door. The walls on either side of the door must be level to some extent. Now go into the other room and inch back into this room. Go all the way through the door, but don't go too far into the room, or the map will change. Now walk slowly down the wall; once again, too far and the map will change. When you're a little far down the wall and the map still says you're in the other room, morph. If done right, you'll be stuck to the wall. Turn the control stick slowly. The morph ball will be spinning on certain spots, but you're looking for a spot where the morph ball seems to be spinning very weirdly. If you can't find it, unmorph, adjust your view, remorph, and try again. If you chose the right angle, the morph ball will spin a little and then stop spinning. It will now be vibrating; keep the control stick in the position you're holding it. A minute or so later, the morph ball's armor will disappear and there will just be a little ball of light. Use the boost ball to escape the wall, but make sure NOT to use a full boost.

Now you've done the glitch! It isn't all graphic problems, though; you'll find that using either the boost ball or the spider ball will very much affect the room. You can change states of the room with boost ball or spider ball or even trigger cutscenes or collect items. With this glitch, you'll need one extra percent for either boost or spider, but considering the item skips it can lead to, that's a small price to pay.

Once you unmorph, you'll find there's a big light show. You can't see anything, the HUD is missing, your weapons don't work (like Houston, but yours still make the sounds), and morphing/unmorphing/dying is REALLY slow. To get out of this, you need to hit either a Save Station, an elevator that causes a cutscene, a map station, or any cutscene trigger. If you turn off HUG Lag in the options, you will be able to see your HUD, but you're still blind.

On Metroid Prime 2, the game seems to crash if you attempt the glitch in a room that does not have either a Kinetic Orb Cannon, a Spinner, or a Bomb Slot. If you try it there, the game won't give you the usual buzzing noise that lets you know you should turn the game off and back on; instead, it will reset the Gamecube. Not "reset button" reset; this is a FULL reset, and you'll even see the Gamecube logo again. After that, though, the game should still work fine.

There's another thing that can be done with being stuck in walls by doors. The technique has been named the Infinite Boost. First, get stuck in a wall. Instead of rolling the stick around until Samus appears to vibrate, you must start boosting. Roll the stick around slowly until you hit the point where Samus starts spinning. When you find it, release the stick immediately and continue to boost. You'll start to hear a noise in the background. When it goes away, unmorph and you'll find you'll go flying away from the wall. This technique is funny, but it's not useless; using this, you can enter some SWs, and already a Crashed Frigate Site SW has at last been found with this trick.

Another glitch comes into play here: the Where's the Room? glitch. In this glitch, you do the same thing you'd do to start an ISB, but instead of morphing, jump. You can also stand by the door and jump, using a low space jump. If done right, the room around you will disappear. For those of you familiar with SW phrases, I believe the correct SW word to describe the room you're in as "secretized". This makes the walls stickier and allows you to get the ISB in more places. Also, in this state, a bomb can get you out of the wall. This means you can face more directions than you normally would be able, because a boost away from the wall isn't needed.

Here are the lists. I'll update them as they need updating.

Rooms that have been tested with the Infinite Speed Bug:

METROID PRIME:
-Artifact Temple: I attempted to enter Impact Crater without the artifacts using this glitch, and I came VERY close. I was able to get the first cutscene to trigger, but the second one where Ridley appears did not. (Edit: I actually think this is the one that occurs any time you get near the artifact circle with a new artifact. Too bad.)
-Magmoor Workstation: This glitch can net you the energy tank in this room. After that, it screws up the camera.
-Geothermal Core: Unfortunately, this glitch can do only two things here: either screw up the camera or cause lava damage.
-Magma Pool: Gives you the power bomb if you don't have it yet.
-Burn Dome: Gives you the missile if you don't have it yet.
-Gathering Hall: Activates the Shriekbats and then proceeds to crash the game.
-Metroid Quarantine B: Switches between the "lights on" and "lights off" states for a frame or two. Switches to "lights off" permanently if the original state is "lights on".
-Elite Quarters Access: Switches between the "icy" and "ice gone" states for a frame or two.
-Elite Quarters: Very unfortunately, it only returns the morph ball to normal OR starts the OP fight. What it does after the fight is unknown.
-Shore Tunnel: Gives you the Ice Spreader if you don't have it yet.
-Watery Hall: Gives you the Charge Beam and the missile expansion if you don't have one or both of them. For some reason, it gives you both at the same time. However, you'll be stuck behind the Charge Beam runic gate if you haven't lowered the gate by the time you get the Charge Beam this way.
-Chozo Ice Temple: Gives you the Artifact of Sun if you didn't already have it. Effect unknown after collection of Artifact of Sun.
METROID PRIME 2: ECHOES:
-Hive Entrance: Crashes the game.
-Command Center: Activates the cutscene. After that, returns the morph ball to normal.
-Hive Chamber A: Crashes the game.
-Sandcanyon: Gives you the power bomb if you don't have it yet. Once you have it, it places you in a Kinetic Orb Cannon and returns the morph ball to normal.

Rooms either glitch can be done (the one on the left is the room the map says you're NOT in when you try the glitch):

METROID PRIME:
-Landing Site/Artifact Temple Access (or whatever it's called)
-Magmoor Workstation/South Core Tunnel
-Central Dynamo/Quarantine Access (once again, not sure of the name)
-Central Dynamo/That save station
-Monitor Station/Phendrana elevator access room*
-Research Lab Hydra/Entryway room*
-Hall of the Elders/East Furnace Access*
-Triclops Pit/Pit Tunnel
-Triclops Pit/Storage Cavern
-Ruined Gallery/Map Station
-Dynamo/Dynamo Access
-Energy Core/West Furnace Access*
-Energy Core/Energy Core Access*
-Frigate Crash Site/Frigate Access Tunnel
-Ore Processing/Storage Depot B
-Ore Processing/Waste Disposal
-Gathering Hall/Gathering Hall Access
-Chapel of the Elders: a little tricky, you need to do it between the wall and some crates. No door needed.
-Hive Reactor Core/Save Station
-Hive Chamber A/Hive Tunnel
There are some others in Prime 2. I simply don't have them all yet. Be patient.
*: Requires a Where's the Room? glitch
^: Requires a secret world to achive a Where's the Room? glitch

Rooms the Where's the Room? glitch can be done:
METROID PRIME:
-Elite Research/Security Access B (yes, we're talking about the door in the floor, though as far as we've tested it's hard to do)
-Great Tree Hall/Great Tree Chamber*
-Crashed Frigate Site/Transport Tunnel C*
-Grand Windchamber^
-Main Gyro Chamber^
*: Use a low space jump in front of the door
^: Requires a SW to enter the room anywhere

Infinite Speed Bug Uses:
METROID PRIME:
-Collect the Artifact of Truth without being near it (Thanks, Mr Potter)
-Collect the Magmoor Workstation energy tank without the Wave Beam (Thanks, Mr Potter)
-Magma Pool power bomb right after Boost Ball (Thanks, Master ZED)
-Collect the Burn Dome missile without being near it (Thanks, DJGrenola)
-Ice Spreader without any beams (Thanks, Maur) NOTE: With no beams, you cannot escape from underneath the tunnel. The earliest you could get Ice Spreader without SWs and still be able to make it out would be right after the early Magma Pool power bomb.
-Charge Beam & Watery Hall missile at the same time without being near either (Thanks, Maur)
-Early Artifact of Sun (Thanks, Master ZED)
-Screw Attack without raising the Vault (Thanks, Master ZED)
-Sandcanyon power bomb without Space Jump (Thanks, Master ZED)

Infinite Boost Uses:
METROID PRIME:
-Crashed Frigate Site SW
-Laughter
-Laughter

Infinite Speed Bug Videos:
Prime videos:
-Early Impact Crater attempt -by me (Mr Potter)
-Burn Dome missile expansion without bombing to it -by DJGrenola
-How to get stuck after early Ice Spreader -by Maur
-Charge Beam & Watery Hall Missile Expansion -by Maur
-Early Magma Pool Power Bomb -by Maur
-Early Artifact of Sun -by Master ZED
Echoes videos:
-How to start the glitch from Hive Chamber A -by doninss

Infinite Boost Videos:
Prime videos:
-Infinite Boost in Landing Site -by doninss
-The entire IB in Landing Site -by doninss
Echoes videos:
-None. Be the first to post one!

Where's the Room? videos:
Prime videos:
-Where's the Room? in Frigate Crash Site -by doninss
Echoes videos:
-Where's the Room? in Meeting Grounds -by Flamancipator (a.k.a. Flamy)
-Where's the Room? in Catacombs -by Flamy

There's some spots in the Space Pirate Frigate, but they're useless because you don't have Boost Ball to escape the wall that early in the game. Discuss.

UPDATE: 12/20/05: Added two new paragraphs: one about what happens upon unmorphing, and one about Prime 2's glitch. There will be many tiny updates on the lists; you won't see something like this about those. Also added the notice at the top of the page. Now, people, just because I posted it, doesn't mean I discovered it!

UPDATE: 12/23/05: Added the notice about the new name. Also added the year for the above update from the twentieth.

UPDATE: 12/24/05: The name has changed. Again.

UPDATE: 12/25/05: I've fixed the notice at the top, as the topic now deals with more than just the infinite speed bug. I've added instructions on the Infinite Boost and the Where's the Room? glitch. Also, each of those glitches gets a set of lists (except Infinite Boost, which gets its own lists other than a list of rooms it can be done, since the list is the exact same as the infinite speed bug list). I've added videos for each as well. Just consider it my Christmas present to all of you. Merry Christmas!
Thread title: 
Clarification: is this done once already in secret world state?
The beauty of this glitch is you don't need secret worlds. This glitch is completely SDA legal.

I forgot to mention what happens when you unmorph. I'll edit that into my original post (eventually... >_> <_< *runs*).
Cook of the Sea
Unbelievable find.  I suggest the following name: 

Q-Ball
Quote from Mr Potter:
This glitch is completely SDA legal.

last time i checked, you didn't work for sda. ;P could we get some videos?
This would definitely be a seperate category regardless.
I'll see if I can get some demonstrating an attempt at entering Artifact Temple without Artifacts. The name of the bug is, as of right now, the "Infinite Speed Bug" or something like that.
lol no way
HOOLLYYY CRAAAAAAAPP!!!
Quote from ajbolt89:
HOOLLYYY CRAAAAAAAPP!!!

What he said.  If we could get certain cut scenes to trigger...

Boss fights without fighting.  Impact Crater without Artifacts.  Getting WAY early items.  Jesus Christ, the possibilities are endless!

Screw breaking Prime wide open.  We've just given it a damn autopsy.  Here's to the laying of waste to all of Retro's hard work.
Unbelievable find! The first thing that came to my mind is perhaps getting OP to die without fighting him, thus skipping the X-Ray Visor, thus allowing 21%, if you skip SJ.
I've got the video, and I'm uploading it now. I'll edit this post with the link. It shows, starting from Twin Fire Tunnels in Magmoor, how to activate the IFB in Landing Site and collect the Artifact without being anywhere near it. Now that I think about it, I think that cutscene is the cutscene that activates every time you get near the Artifact circle with a new Artifact. So no, it's not even the first of the two Ridley cutscenes. It does show how to get items without being near them, though; just think of the effect on the NBMB runs this thing can have. The only other item I've gotten this way is the energy tank in Magmoor Workstation. I'm sure others will work similar.

EDIT: sj13, I came up with that too. Use the glitch to trigger OP's death cutscene... unfortunately, seeing how the glitch works, it'll probably do nothing but cause the cutscene where he appears. But seeing how it's possible to trigger the cutscene without leaving morph ball form, this could very well be a possibility. Anyone wanna try?

EDIT 2: Here's the video! http://zeromission.co.uk/mr_potter/crater_no_artifacts_attempt_isg.avi
I'll put it in my original post, too.
Quote from DeathNoble:
Screw breaking Prime wide open.  We've just given it a damn autopsy.
Sig worthy, in my mind.

Good job Mr Potter, I'll watch those videos when Firefox will let me (if it's even Firefox's problem :?)

EDIT: When I click on the links, they don't load.  When I save link as it waits a bit, then it tells me it's done without actually downloading anything, and when I try to open it it gives me a "crater_no_artifacts_attempt_isg.avi does not exist. It may have been renamed, moved, or deleted since it was downloaded." :?
The download was fine for me. It screwed up when I downloaded it from my last post (just how you described it), though. Try the link from the original post (not sure how that would make a difference, but it might).

I don't know... Millzy's server just doesn't seem to be working for me.
lol no way
Impossible!  Shocked
If what I can tell from the posts at s.uk are any indication, this looks like an overflow problem. :/

If Samus's actual position tracker and her onscreen tracker are seperate (stupid but possible, if both are local variables kept in different places...), that could explain some of the weird item discrepancies.  The ball is frozen in place, onscreen speed tracker = 0.  But then you screw up samus's internal tracker with the boost or something.

I'm just pontificating here.

Also looks freaking awesome.  I'll play around with it some tonight.
I can't download the video.  :(

It says that I'm unauthorized to view the page.
red chamber dream
This is neat. Have been playing around with it a bit but haven't been able to do anything significantly great.

Quote from DeathNoble:
Screw breaking Prime wide open. We've just given it a damn autopsy.

I certainly don't think that's the case, though. This doesn't look like it's going to lead to many Sequence Breaks imo. And they might not even be SDA legal, anyway. So we'll see.
I'm going to see if this glitch can lead to a skip of the X-Ray Visor. It'll take a while to get there, though, but oh well.

EDIT: Hope no one wants a new video, because I'm not going to make any new ones.

EDIT 2: sj13, I was messing around with settings earlier, and I think that's what caused it. Try downloading it again. From the original post, remember.

EDIT 3: Master ZED has found a new use for the bug: early Magma Pool power bomb.
Strategy Guide Writer
The reason you couldn't download the video was because the attributes on it were incorrect or faulty. I have adjusted the settings for the file manually via FTP and it's downloadable now. :D

*edit*
Shocked  Shocked That's an AWESOME looking glitch! I'd REALLY like to see a movie of this where item collection is concerened tho as I'd be interested in incorporating it into my 5-tank VMR run just for the sheer hell of it. :D
Quote from Mr Potter:
EDIT 2: sj13, I was messing around with settings earlier, and I think that's what caused it. Try downloading it again. From the original post, remember.
Quote from Andrew Mills:
The reason you couldn't download the video was because the attributes on it were incorrect or faulty. I have adjusted the settings for the file manually via FTP and it's downloadable now. :D
Nope, still can't download it...
Sorry, Millzy, not making any more videos. You'll need to go see for yourself what the item collection looks like. Really, that video showed item collection. It didn't trigger a cutscene; it triggered collection of the artifact, which triggered a cutscene.

Doing a low% now. At Pirate Frigate (not far, I know). Master ZED seems to have found a new spot for the glitch.

Do power bomb expansions add percent if you don't have the actual power bombs? If not, then 20% seems likely.
Strategy Guide Writer
Quote from kwinse:
Nope, still can't download it...

Then that must be an issue somewhere at your end cause even I can download it via http now (where I couldn't before). ALT + F5 the page and try again perhaps?
Just remembered that would be 21%, not 22%. I can't do the SJ skip, and you need Boost Ball for this glitch. Still, that's one percent lower.

EDIT: Plus it would still be 20% for those who CAN do the SJ skip.
red chamber dream
Vid works on this end. Looks sweet.
As this triggers cutscenes, if you had picked up the Artifact Temple artifact and then done the glitch.....  ?  That could lead to a % drop well below 1% if you could skip all of those artifacts.

You forgot Geo Core/Phazon Processing.  A couple of the Where's the room one's aren't labeled, but who cares :)    The where's the room ones are done by doing a very light space jump to the top of the door.

If you think that armorless video is cool, you should see the infinate speed bug video which doninss made. Wow & Haha!