page  123456789 -> 1 ... 9 ->
^^
vv
List results:
Search options:
Use \ before commas in usernames
Cook of the Sea
I have a theory that would explain why there are so few Metroids. Everyone knows that the Metroid Life cycle goes Hatchling (Small Jellyfish) Larva (Big Jellyfish) Egg, Alpha, Gamma, Zeta, Omega. So what if (This is really reaching, but I like it) the Metroids' natural mating cycle comes after Omega, takes a long time to achieve, and takes the form of... Metroid Queen for Females and Metroid Prime for Males. Cool, huh? the long amount of time it takes to mutate would explain why there's only one of each. It would also explain why Samus chooses the time period after Prime to exterminate the remaining Metroids, because she may have figured out the Metroid Prime was (or had been until then) the only Male Metroid in existence, and that the presumable Queen would be breeding a mate (probably the Metroid Hatchling that she later makes friends with) so her chance to exterminate them completely was near. Now I know that Metroid split when exposed to certain types of radiation, but that's probably an artificial technique developed by the Space Pirates. The Chozo, knowing how dangerous the Metroids would be, probably built this inconvenient mating cycle so they could better control the Metroid population on SR388 when they created them to contain the X. This also fits with a random thought that I had a while back: what i the "lava" in Metroid II was actually Phazon? Phazon might be somehow involved with raising a Metroid to a full Metroid Prime.

What do you think?
Thread title: 
in my mind, metroids are completely A-Sexual, which is why i always refer to them as a female.  (and the metroid QUEEN helps with that)

Anyway, metroid prime is not an advancent on omega metroid, considering its lacking every and all evolutionary advancements that are found on zebes..  (bipedal life form, hard outer shell, those eyes, well formed mouth. etc.)

Anyway, i really doubt that metroids have sexes, they just evolve and mutate based on their enviroment... I'm sure given enough time, that a hunter metroid could turn into an even bigger jelly-fish like creature.

I'm sure that its probably nearly impossible for a metroid to mature into a queen without outside help or chozo guidance... The federation in metroid 4 didn't even mention any stages after omega, and i'm sure they would have loved to create a queen...(If they were even aware of ones existance..)
Not impossible
just highly unlikely
Quote from Saber in Blue:
Phazon might be somehow involved with raising a Metroid to a full Metroid Prime.

You've solved the mystery!
Quote from Toozin:
You've solved the mystery!

*sniff sniff* Ahh... the sweet smell of sarcasm.
Cook of the Sea
I've got another bit here: 

No light is ever shed on the origin of Phazon or its specific connection to the meteor or the Metroid Prime to my knowledge. The Pirates also never even saw the Metroid Prime to my knowledge either. It makes a lot of sense that the Chozo probably programmed in the Gamma-radiation fission bit to prevent all uncontrolled mating, so I concede that. Therefore, to better work with the Phazon thing, let me expand my theory this way: The Chozo probably created the Metroids to always stay in their Larval phase, because it seems unlikely that they would have wanted the metroids to evolve into the more dangerous forms. Throughout the course of the Metroids' existence, an unnoticed mutation occured in a batch of specimens. Gamma radiation-induced fission was probably detrimental to the Metroid in the long term, like Replicative Fading in the one episode of Star Trek, so the evolutionary change allowed for more powerful forms of Metroids and natural mating. It doesn't make natural sense to have a species that cannot mate, and it is also unlikely that the Chozo were able to completely create the Metroid DNA from scratch, so they probably pieced together DNA from other species, and inevitable mutations occured. (The old Jurassic Park thing, easier to understand if you have read the book) This batch of Metroids began to produce Phazon, and this produced the different, more violent forms. All of these Metroids evolved into Primes or Queens, and two killed the others by possessive instinct. The Prime form produces Phazon in massive amounts, so the other Metroids were exposed and began to mutate as well. By this time all hell would have broken loose with the Chozo, who would know by know that their experiment had gone horribly wrong, so, like in Prime, they set weapons around the planet and engaged the Metroid Prime, just barely sealing it on a meteor and shooting it off into space. They eventually were killed by the other Metroids, but the meteor went hurtling off into space.
Saber, your european aren't you?

Read the NSTC logs of the game(over at  http://metroid.retrofaction.com somewhere on that site they have a comparison between the versions), they describe what happened to metroid prime *FAR* better than the pal logs do, they actually made you FEAR what prime became and deal a lot with its origin's far more in depth.

the first time a log scan mentioned prime, (this was before i even knew that metroid prime was a thing, not just the name of the game, because it happened to be the same night the game was released. ^_^)

I'm dissapointed they changed it, they changed it for the worst in terms of story interaction.  but, prime *became* prime, it was not prime to begin with.
Cook of the Sea
I'm simultaneously carrying this debate on gameFAQs as well, and I ran into the same bit there.  I actually was born and raised in Texas, I just read the transription of the Pirate Data and Chozo Lore on a FAQ based on the PAL version on GameFAQs.  needless to say, this causes confusion.  I haven't finished Prime yet on my Gamecube, and I'm certainly not worrying a whole lot about scans my first time through, so I'll read the NSTC's and get back to you.  I have to get off the comp now anyway, so later. 

P.S.  Is one version of the game generally considered paramount over another, storywise?  I seriously don't know.
Cook of the Sea
Also, I agree that a Metroid needs help to become a Prime, that exactly my point:  the Queen was specially raising that hatchling to replace the mate that the Chozo balsted off into space and Samus killed.  And the amount of waht I consider to be Phazon in II is explained by the Pazon needed presumably during incubation to successfully hatch a Prime-capable hatchling. 

Furthermore, the successive mutations of Metroids that have been canonized certainly don't look much alike, if you take an Alpha and a Zeta or an Omega.  a zeta actually sheds the Gamma carapace in its final stages of mutation, you see one do just that in II.  One Metroid mutation cannot, therefore, provide insight into what the next will look like.
Not impossible
just highly unlikely
They changed the logs for the PAL version for one big reason: the NTSC logs contain a HUGE plothole. The shot version is that Prime was said to have interacted with the Pirates, but that couldn't have happened because Prime is in the Impact Crater, which is sealed by the Cypher (which the Pirates are trying to break open). So there can't be any alternate way in or out of the Crater, yet there needs to be for the Pirates to have interacted with it. Huge conundrum.

The PAL version "fixes" this, but contains it's own plot hole: Prime has Pirate weapons and technology, but how could it have gotten that if it never came in contact with the Pirates? You can't possibly tell me that missile launchers evolved naturally.

So yeah, it's all a big mess.
The PAL version plotholes do have possible explanations. It could have picked up the weapons either from the Chozo or from wherever it was before it got blasted to Tallon VI. Not an ideal explanation, but much better than the US version where the only possible exlanation is that Prime can breach the Cypher at will, which doesn't make an aweful lot of sense.

As for the metroids, I'm a firm believer that the Metroid "mutations" weren't intended. Maybe asexual reproduction by radiation was the only intended way of making more metroids, and the ability to reproduce otherwise was a side-effect of the unintended mutations.
My idea is this

The meteor crashed into Tallon IV infecting the world with Phazon Radiation. Corrupting the chozo (creating chozo ghosts) the environment (Flaaghra and Thardus) and the metroids (Fission Metroids, Metroid Prime).

Metroid Prime is a Metroid given an ENORMOUS dose of Phazon radiation, so much in fact that it has become mutated.

Chozo weaponry is biological. From the FULL ending of Metroid Prime we can see that

Metroid Prime assimilated the Phazon suit so it can assimilate biological technology

so it assimilated into itself chozo weaponry which is why it has the Ice, Plasma, Wave and Power Beams. As well as missile launchers.

It could also have absorbed a Varia/Gravity/Power suit giving itself that external carapace.

-----------------
Metroids absorb the life force of its victims. I noticed in Metroid II that Metroids are NEVER in the same room as usual enemies. Got 2 reasons for that

1. Make the game easier (realistic)
and a story version
2. the Metroid absorbed them.

Due to the Metroids absorbing creatures and asexually multiplying they must have a genetically built in 'limit' beyond which they will NOT multiply as they would end up absorbing the entire planet! Thus killing themselves as they'd have nothing more to feed upon.

This would also explain why 9 more Metroids are created in Metroid II when only the Queen is left. After the others died 9 more were bred to try and increase the numbers again.
----------------

Do the PAL logs not mention that the Pirates discovered Metroid Prime, it kicked their ass, so they froze it and sealed it away?
Oh I just a flash if inspiration!

The reason the Metroids mutate.

Metroids were created to kill X Parasites.

X Parasites absorb the genetic information of its prey and copy it.

When the Metroids absorbed the X parasites they may have absorbed ALL the genetic information they had absorbed and thus the more X Parasites a Metroid absorbed the more genetic information it would have absorbed and thus it's body would have altered itself with this information.

An evolved Metroid would be the combined genetic data of ALL the creatures on SR 388 + It's own Metroid DNA. This would explain why each stage of Metroids look so different to the younger stages.
Cook of the Sea
Quote from skynes:
My idea is this

The meteor crashed into Tallon IV infecting the world with Phazon Radiation. Corrupting the chozo (creating chozo ghosts) the environment (Flaaghra and Thardus) and the metroids (Fission Metroids, Metroid Prime).

Metroid Prime is a Metroid given an ENORMOUS dose of Phazon radiation, so much in fact that it has become mutated.

Chozo weaponry is biological. From the FULL ending of Metroid Prime we can see that

[...for space purposes, the post is right there anyway...]

This would also explain why 9 more Metroids are created in Metroid II when only the Queen is left. After the others died 9 more were bred to try and increase the numbers again.
----------------

Do the PAL logs not mention that the Pirates discovered Metroid Prime, it kicked their ass, so they froze it and sealed it away?

Interesting points, all.  I think is is much more likely that the Metroid Prime came with the meteor and is involved with the production of Phazon.  There was no other way for a Metroid to have gotten to Tallon IV, the Pirates weren't there yet, so they could not have brought any.  If there was any other "source" of the Phazon on the meteor, that certainly would have been brought up in the game. 

Prime's initial exoskeleton seems similar in overall construction to some derivative of a mutation of a Metroid, not in specific detail which I already said was unreliable, but in overall style.  It's meant to be a next step in Metroid evolution in my opinion, not absorbed from the Suit. 

However, what you said about the Chozo having biological weapons is very interesting, and I like it.  The "purity"(that's the best way that I can put it) of Chozo technology:  the way that upgrades are immediately taken into the suit and the way that the Varia instantly "devolved" into the Power Suit when it was badly damaged,

And the way Samus can "beam" her suit on and off in Zero Mission

I have always attributed to insanely developed technology and, in practical sense, some form and combination of Star Trek's Replicators and Transporters.  With Fusion out, I had automatically classified the Power Suit as the "technology" suit and the Fusion Suit as the "biology" suit.  Now that you bring it up, it seems to make much more sense that both are biological, and provides a great alternate explanation for Prime possession of technological weapons.
Cook of the Sea
Quote from skynes:
Oh I just a flash if inspiration!

The reason the Metroids mutate.

Metroids were created to kill X Parasites.

X Parasites absorb the genetic information of its prey and copy it.

When the Metroids absorbed the X parasites they may have absorbed ALL the genetic information they had absorbed and thus the more X Parasites a Metroid absorbed the more genetic information it would have absorbed and thus it's body would have altered itself with this information.

An evolved Metroid would be the combined genetic data of ALL the creatures on SR 388 + It's own Metroid DNA. This would explain why each stage of Metroids look so different to the younger stages.

A good thought, but in Zero Mission the Metroids would "feed" on the life energy of the Space Pirates and leave the body there.  Pirate Logs say that they have found no physical manifestation of the energy that the Metroids absorb from their prey, its presence merely strengthens the host and its absence kills the prey.  No reference to any genetic material changing hands is ever mentioned.  Metroids kill the X outright and are immune to the X's effects.  Samus gains the ability to absorb the X for health and abilities bacause of the Fusion Suit and added antibodies that her immune system was able to summon enough energy to create because of the destruction of the X infestation by the Metroid vaccine.  the vaccine itself had nothing to do with it, the doctors just used the Metroid's natural lethalness to the X to Samus's advantage.
Cook of the Sea
Holy crap my posts are long!
Cook of the Sea
I just read the relevant NSTC logs, and they wee interesting.  Prime capture in that version provides some insights into the matter.  First off, the fact that Prime, which is described by the Pirates as being "similar to a Metroid...but more highly evolved", supporting the idea that Prime was an advanced mutation of a Metroid, before the Pirates ever saw it.  Prime's reputed "limitless Phazon infusion" potential provides strong evidence for my argument for the connection between Metroid evolution and Phazon.  Prime's ability to absorb massive amounts of Phazon and merely grow in strength without changing form, and its ravenous hunger for Phazon suggest that Prime, being the ultimate Metroid Phazon muation, no longer is mutated by the Phazon and yet requires it for sustenance in such quantity that it seems logical to assume that once a Metroid Prime is evolved, it mates with the Queen and then dies, a a safeguard against its violent tendencies.  If the NSTC is to be considered canon, I erred in saying that Prime produces Phazon--quite the antithesis is true.  What would more accurate is to say that all Metroid forms possess a certain amount of innate Phazon, so integrated with their systems that the Pirates cannot detect it as Phazon.  Queens produce excess Phazon which they feed to Primes in all of its stages of growth, to stimulate dependency on the Phazon and push it toward Prime status.  When it reaces this stage, the Queen satisfies its hunger for Phazon and sustains and raises it until it is mating-capable, whereupon the Prime dies lest it beome too dangerous.
Not impossible
just highly unlikely
I think it's safe to assume that unless Nintendo specifically establishes it in canon, the Metroid Queen is in no way related to Phazon.
Cook of the Sea
Oh sure, I know that, I'm just a fanboy with a theory.  You know how it is.
Cook of the Sea
I also think that the mysteriousness of the Logs and Lore was meant to spark speculation.  Not that such specualtion would be canon, but it is great for debates.
after reading the metroid E-manga, it shed some light on metroids, and on samus' suit.

Alright, in prime, as you just mentioned, the energy that metroids feed on has no physical manifestation, yet every enemy has it.

Now, this is just a theory thats heaviy supported by the e-manga, but it appears like this:

Every creature has a certain type of energy in it, it starts with "A" i don't have the translated manga with me at the moment, so i can't find the exact name

Anyway, when you kill an enemy with the power suit, the little glowing energy LEFT BEHIND is this "A" and the chozo technology allows samus to absorb it into her suit to make energy.

The same chozo technology is what allows metroids to DRAIN this "A" out of enemies before they die (killing them in the process)
Samus suit and metroids are running off of the SAME EXACT ENERGY.  I don't think that you can see it without samus' visor though, and for some stupid reason in zero mission, the space pirates didn't drop any.

..think about it.
Cook of the Sea
Nice.  Very Nice.  That's an awesome way of explaining the enemy drops.  One of the reasons I liked Fusion was becasue of the clear, clean-cut way that it explained the fact that enemies dropped Energy and Missiles in a realistic manner.  This does the same thing for every other Metroid game.  Add it to the biological suit thing, and we see why creatures can drop Missiles, Super Missiles, and Power Bombs:  If an enemy does not drop enough energy for absorbtion, its physical remains can be assimilated into the suit and the matter converted into whatever ammo is needed.  Clean and simple.  I like it!
Cook of the Sea
Addendum:  and the Chozo used the same "absorbtion" technology that they used in their Power Suits when they were engineering the Metroids.  Very cool.
Cook of the Sea
I really like a good forum debate.
1. You're right there is no info that says that Metroids take genetic data

But as Samus in Fusion by absorbing X was able to restore weapons energy and abilities (the abilities being similar to the X the host mimicked) it is reasonable to assume that Metroids absorbing X take the X's genetic data also.

It was Metroid DNA that allowed Samus to absorb X and regain powers so why couldn't the Metroids absorb X and gain powers too? Oh like say their evolutions?

----------

Chozo created Metroids so it's possible that Metroids were on Tallon IV.

Chozo refers to Phazon as 'the great poison' so I doubt they would have used it in the Metroid making process. Prime would have been a freak accident.

Impact Crater is sealed by chozo technology correct? Like say a forcefield of some kind?

Prime = a Metroid
Metroids = Chozo Technology

Could MP not have just 'floated' through any forcefields there were since it itself is a piece of Chozo technology?

Since MP feeds on Phazon it would have went directly into the highest concentration of it - Impact Crater.

When it absorbed Space Pirate/ Chozo weapons and armour it may have gained scanners too allowing it to detect this high phazon concentration.
Cook of the Sea
Well, they'res really no evidence against Metroid DNA enabling Samus to absorb X, but I'm pretty sure it was established somewhere that it was really the Fusion Suit.  That's the Fusion Suit's "ability" like the Varia's resistance to extreme temperatures and acid and the Gravity's enabling of free underwater movement and resistance to lava.  Seriously, if Samus shot up a Core-X mimicking something, and then took off the Fusion Suit and tried to absorb it into her skin to get an ability, would that work?  I mean she would suffer no ill effects from the X itself because of the vaccine, but without the Fusion Suit she wouldn't be able to assimilate the X's power into a form that her Suit could use.  Remember, Samus doesn't ever gain any abilities, her Suit does. 

About MP and Chozo Forcefields, if Samus's Power Suit is Chozo-made, why can't she pass through the barriers?  If the Chozo can make something, they can certainly defend against it, right?  If a steel manufacturer makes a safe, and then makes a knife, could the knife cut through the safe? 

Tallon IV's Chozo did not neccessarily know of Phazon or Metroids, Metroids were made by Chozo on SR388, and all those Chozo apparently died.  Nor did SR388's Chozo neccessarily know of Phazon either.  My thing was that Phazon was a freak mutation in Metroid DNA, and the Chozo, who were killed by the more powerful mutations of Metroids, probably never got a chance to study the "new" Metroids enough to learn of Phazon's existence.  Besides, Tallon IV's Chozo never speak of getting outside help from other Chozo, in fact, no interplanetary communications are ever mentioned between any Chozo. 

Also, Prime wasnt wandering around on Tallon IV before the meteor hit and then stumble across it, it came with the meteor.  It was there before the Pirates, we know that from the Lore, and the only way it culd have gotten there is from SR388, somehow, since Metroids are artificial, and I doubt that the Tallon IV Chozo would have brought any with them.